This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IUD - Pain! Suggestions?

Hey guys and gals, just looking for a bit of advice.

I got an IUD for the first time today. It is the Mirena brand, if that makes any difference. I've never had kids, and therefore the insertion was incredibly painful. I asked the gyn for some advice on how to treat it, and he said hot packs and OTC painkillers. Well, I've done both - taken ASA and extra strength acetaminophen, and heating up a barley bag to keep against my tummy, and the pain is nearly intolerable even now, nine hours later.

Has anyone had this procedure done before, and if so, any suggestions on how to keep this pain to a dull roar?

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing so much pain with your IUD. I can't begin to understand what you are feeling since our situations were different at the time of insertion. I had absolutely no pain whatsoever, but both of mine were done during the last days of my menstrual flow and also within a few weeks of giving birth.

I would recommend you continue treatment as prescribed by your gyn, until the morning. Then immediately call your gyn's office and ask to speak to his/her nurse. Sometimes, the nurses can offer a bit more advise, JMHO. However, if you do not get a satisfactory answer or no additional relief, ask to be seen again, just to check that it has remained in place. An abnormal amount of pain could be normal considering the procedure, but it could also indicate a complication. While I think most complications are rare, they can still occur.

Hang in there.

Comment

While we are, of course, sympathetic, this isn't the place for medical advice. I'd strongly suggest that if you're in that much pain, you should seek a doctors opinion.

Thanks.

Thread closed.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
        I'd strongly suggest that if you're in that much pain, you should seek a doctors opinion.

Yep! get to a doctor...NOW!
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
        X