This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have vertigo?

This came as a complete surprise. All week I've been dealing with what I alternately thought was a virus or salmonella or I don't know what.

It started Monday when my stomach suddenly started feeling ill on the train home from work. I kept feeling vaguely ill all evening, no vomiting, but really not able to eat anything more than saltines and 7up.

I was also occasionally noticing some momentary dizziness, but at that point I didn't connect the two. I made it through the day at work Wednesday, but still felt crappy and didn't eat much, again nursing myself along with crackers and 7up. I was really starting to feel tired at this point, too.

This morning I got up, but decided I was too miserable to go to work. The dizziness was increasing, and I still couldn't eat. After I slept some more, I tried calling my doctor. Once they finally called back, they couldn't get me in until next Wednesday! Not having insurance really sucks, let me tell you.

My mom suggested going to urgent care, and I decided that was a good idea. It was the urgent care doc who decided I probably have vertigo. She referred me to an ENT. I think at this point we're dealing with benign positional vertigo; the dizziness happens in jolts when I turn my head or change positions.

I was not expecting that, and quite frankly I'm a little scared. I know it can be chronic sometimes. I got prescriptions for meclizine and an anti nausea med. My stomach is feeling somewhat better now.

Does anybody else live with this condition? I also have eustachian tube dysfunction but I don't know if the two have any connection. I'm also curious about the Epley maneuver, which has come up in my internet research. I presume I could do this myself if I wanted.

Sorry if this is kind of rambling. I've been foggy brained, too, but I suspect that's just low blood sugar because I haven't eaten much the last two days.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Can't say I've had this issue, though if the treatment is working sounds like the doc is on the right track.

Hope you feel better soon.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You may literally have "rocks" in your head. You've done your research, so I'm sure you read NOT to try the Epley maneuver on your own the first time. (My SIL has this condition, and I did some research for her a few months ago.) The doc made her take Vaium ahead of time for the first one, and SIL afterwards said that there was no way she could have gotten through it without the meds.

Good luck with everything, but please don't try anything without a doctor's supervision/approval.
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My minor case is usually controlled with the Meclizine. It is however, aggravated by large amounts of MSG (no Chinese buffet for me ).
        To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I'm cheap and I go with the Mal-Mart brand. I keep a supply at home, in the purse, and at the office, just in case. Mine is typically pretty easy to manage, it get minor attacks every now and then and a BIG attack about once every 5 years. My first attack ended up me up in the ER (Urgent care and the clinic were both closed on that Sunday.) and I had one earlier this year that I had to be given a ride home from work.

One of my "triggers" is a lack of sleep. It's not always the same amount that causes issues but I can normally tell about 20 minutes before it hits. I get "fuzzy" headed. And it's always fun to wake up with it.

Feel better!

Comment

I've had it. Usually I'll wake up with it, and before I even open my eyes I can "feel the room moving". I hate hate hate this more than anything. It can be months or years between bouts. Before I heard of meclizine my only "treatment" was to sit as still as possible until it wore off, moving my head as little as possible when I had to get up to go to the bathroom. Meclizine is great, though.

You might want to be tested for Menier's disease, just to rule it out. My doctor said I did not have this condition, and that in my case it was likely due to inner ear fluid problems. I do have allergies and my right ear is stuffed up more often than not.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I suffer from constant inner ear fluid, which can cause me to be easy to fall over or mildly dizzy. Given this usually happens during my seasonal allergies and I'm now a stay at home, I just take an allergy pill and a decongestant. Heat pack to the neck and ear.. usually cleared up in about an hour or two.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Looks like the doc was indeed on target. I've been feeling much better since I started on the meclizine and anti-nausea pills. I do notice it from time to time however. It's probably just another complication from my allergies. Here in the Midwest this year there's stuff blooming that normally doesn't bloom for another month. It's crazy.
                "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I'm in the midwest, and while I don't have vertigo, I've noticed the allergies have started early. I think my dizzy spells are related to either blood pressure or blood sugar.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X