This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so maybe we need to report this one

My husband went through a couple of oral surgeons before he found one he actually trusted to take out his wisdom teeth. Either they didn't listen to him (he has a heart condition, doc. seriously) or in this particular case, it was next to impossible to get past the staff at the front desk to actually SEE the doctor. They were just that difficult.

While cleaning out papers he found where this horrible staff had written down some information for him. What he just now realized is that there was something else written on the BACK of the piece of paper. It was someone's name, age, and contact information. To make matters worse, this person is 17, so it's a MINOR's name, age, and contact information. I'm trying to figure out if we should report this and to who. Any thoughts?
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Contact your state's dental organization - I think that they would be very interested.

http://www.ada.org/stateorganizations.aspx

Comment

That would also fall under a HIPAA violation, and should be reported.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...nts/index.html

That's a link to report a complaint.
      I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Thanks, guys. I sent these links to my husband since he's the person involved here and would need to be the one to report it.

I am soooo glad he didn't go with that oral surgeon.

Comment

I've never heard of something like this. They wrote notes on other people on your husband's paperwork!? Wow. Wonder if they had the 2 files out, just started writing on the paper, and never noticed. Still bad. Reminds me of that drugstore that threw out cases of patient prescription/insurance info in some restaurant's dumpster, who found and reported it.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I've never heard of something like this. They wrote notes on other people on your husband's paperwork!? Wow. Wonder if they had the 2 files out, just started writing on the paper, and never noticed. Still bad. Reminds me of that drugstore that threw out cases of patient prescription/insurance info in some restaurant's dumpster, who found and reported it.
            Are you kidding me?!
            Holy hell, that's a frightening thought...
            I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              Yes, said chain now has signs on their garbage cans reminding people not to throw away their personal prescription information. Haha. Stuff like this freaks me out, as I am working on my bachelors in health information management.

We won't even talk about the famous hospital that had an employee lose all kinds of patient records on the subway....
              The key to customer service is accepting the following:
              Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Comment

One that happened to me some years back:

I was buying some fresh tapes (DC2120) for my backup drive (120 MB native capacity - told you it was a while ago), and when I got the package (2 per pack) home I saw that they were labeled as being records for a dental office (didn't put them in the drive to check out contents - going by the paper label stuck on them). Went straight back to "bent paperclip" to get "virgin" tapes, since I paid for new tapes and expected to get new tapes. Probably some office staff pulled a fast one to get "free" replacement of many-times-used-and-possibly-starting-to-wear-out tapes - buy new ones, then return the box with the old ones inside, never mind that's putting confidential patient records out into the "wild".
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I might have said something to the dentist first, but filing a complaint should get their attention. HIPPA violations are very serious things.

I'm glad the OP didn't go with that guy as well. A dentist is only as good as his other staff, IMHO.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

No, this note wasn't on anyone's paper work. It was on that little square note paper. They wrote a note for themselves on one side about one patient and wrote a note for my husband on the other and gave it to them. I gave him the information so he can file the report. I would say report it to the dentist's office, too, but it would go through the same staff. This is the same receptionist who wanted to look through my husband's personal email.

Comment

My husband went through a couple of oral surgeons before he found one he actually trusted to take out his wisdom teeth. Either they didn't listen to him (he has a heart condition, doc. seriously) or in this particular case, it was next to impossible to get past the staff at the front desk to actually SEE the doctor. They were just that difficult.

your dentist should be made aware of any heart conditions if he/she isn't already. the normal version of novocaine contains epinephrine which can affect your heart. mom now specifically gets the stuff without epinephrine so it won't affect her a-fib.

Comment

Yeah, the dentists were made very aware of it. The ones who seemed to brush it off, didn't have him as a client any more. The one who took him seriously is the one who did the surgery and got the money. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X