This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't waste our time.

If you can, for 20 solid minutes, yell at the top of your lungs "I can't breathe"; don't be too suprised that we're not all that worried about your breathing. We won't take you to hospital but we will take you to see the out of hours GP instead.

Similarly don't telephone an ambulance simply because you want some ibuprofen. Again we won't take you to hospital but we'll organise the out of hours GP to make a house call. Bonus points for calling us because you fell and pulled a muscle two days ago.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Seriously? I had CHEST PAIN after my car accident and I didn't call an ambulance because I consulted 2 RN friends and realized it was muscular. If it's been 2 days, you can schedule an appointment with your doc during regular hours. People like this tie up emergency personnel and keep people in real danger from getting care. This kind of stuff makes me really, really angry.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*nods* If you don't need it, don't use it. There are real emergencies out there. That being said I did one time call one..because I thought I was having a heart attack..and it was just cramps of a muscle near the lungs making it hard to breath. Only other time was when blood was coming up out of my stomach..and I couldn't move (my mom had to call cause I couldn't even reach the phone).
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

That being said I did one time call one..because I thought I was having a heart attack
        Personally I'd be apt to forgive something like that simply because... too many people try to blow off heart attacks as something else.

My cousin had to nag the crap out of her husband before he finally agreed to go to the doctor. And even then it was "Yeah I'll go tomorrow," and went to the garage to do some work. When she came in later to check up on him... he was already cold.
        Last edited by PepperElf; 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
          That being said I did one time call one..because I thought I was having a heart attack..and it was just cramps of a muscle near the lungs making it hard to breath.
          I'd rather go to 100 people who think they *may* be having a heart attack then go to someone who'd dropped dead because they didn't want to be a bother.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

OK, OK, I should've called 911. Bad Food Lady!

Comment

My best was when she called with "abdominal pain", only to find out she was fine and wanted a ride to get a pregnancy test done.

Comment

Why couldn't she buy one at the local big box and take it in the bathroom, like everyone else?

Comment

That cost money...and I wish I was kidding when I say that was her answer to triage.

We did have one guy who had the classic heart attack look (you'll know it if you see it) and REFUSED to be transported. We just waited the 5 minutes until he crashed and then transported him. We used the waiting to get everything ready. He was lucky and lived.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    ... he was already cold.
                    my heart dropped reading that! Your poor cousin...

Quoth 24601 View Post
                    That cost money...and I wish I was kidding when I say that was her answer to triage.
                    Didn't the ambulance ride cost her waaaay more? I've had many friends complain about how much they were charged for a ride in an ambulance. Makes me want to avoid it at all costs (unless, you know, I really need one!).

The nerve of some people. Man, I hope she didn't actually reproduce!
                    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Doesn't cost anything if you don't pay the bill. They can send you to collections, but still... This also was a private company.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                        Doesn't cost anything if you don't pay the bill. They can send you to collections, but still... This also was a private company.
                        And if they don't pay the bill, Joe Taxpayer ends up with the charge in most places. When I worked IT at a medical billing company, there was even a whole desk devoted to claims that were being remitted to the government so the services could get some small payment for the services rendered, but unpaid.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                        X