This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem isn't drooling...

<bg>So while I have insurance I tend to not go to the doctor unless I can help it. I go to the GYN once a year and I haven't seen a primary care doctor since I switched insurance, about 3 years ago. I'm the type of person who tries to be honest and not overly dramatic about my symptoms. Before, my old doctor would know if I came in for anything it was serious; I'm not there to waste his time, but new doctors sometimes downplay what is said to them, assuming people are being dramatic.
    </bg>

So I got sick about three weeks ago; sore throat, cough, fevers, sinus pressure, etc. I thought it was just a cold, then maybe strep (I have a history) but things just got worse and worse. Finally last week I said u
    ncle and made an appointment for my doctor.

So I see the doctor and tell him my symptoms, how long they've lasted, what I've done, etc. The sucky part is that I knew on the way to the doctor office that I burned off a fever so my temperature is fine. I tell him the worst is my throat, that I think I've been coughing so much everything is irritated and that it hurts to swallow anything, even tea. Water is making me cough at this point. I mention that it's painful to talk and move my mouth and throat. So the doctor asks me if I have allergies, and goes on that sometimes, especially since it's been 3 weeks, allergies can mimic a cold or flu. I've never had allergy. Maybe 1 day a year if there is dust in the air I will sneeze. Seriously, I've had the little dot test done. So I tell him no, no allergies, yep, very positive it's not.

So he prescribes Claritin D (allergy medication) and a nasal spray for the congestion. Fine, whatever. I ask him about my throat and cough (my two largest concerns). He prescribes a pill to stop the coughing (it suppresses the cough reflex?) and says that having less congestion will fix the throat. He says to give it at least 4 or 5 days.

So I take a de-congestion pill and the coughing pill. Both do what they're supposed to but neither helps my throat (shocker). I wake up in the middle of the night coughing because my throat is so tight I'm not able to swallow my own saliva. The next day I can't actually eat anything because my throat is so tight that I can't open up my mouth wide enough to chew. Miso soup, water and gatorade are it. Following night, still can't swallow, it's now making my eyes tear up to swallow and I'm waking up coughing on my own spit. To make matters worse my left ear is now aching and I have pain from my throat all the way up into my ear.

So I get up and write him an e-mail since I'm not talking if I don't have to. (During business hours doctors are supposed to check and reply to e-mails. Easy way to communicate)

This is what I wrote:
    ...The pain and tightness in my throat is extremely painful and difficult to swallow and the last two nights I've woken up coughing on saliva because I am not swallowing in my sleep. This usually starts a bout of coughing that then has my throat feeling rawer than before...

This is what he wrote:
    I ordered a stronger pain medication and also antibiotic since you reported drooling, to our pharmacy.

Yeah, ignore the "not able to swallow" and focus on drool.

He also sent the prescription to a pharmacy that closes at 6 (he sent his message at 5:53 PM).

Pretty sure I'm not going to him again for anything
    A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

I'm missing something... how is drooling not essentially the same as saying you're not swallowing?

(I had something very similar a few weeks ago, though with a faster response because Dad is a doctor. Sore throat cleared up in a few days on an antibiotic, voice didn't return for most of another week... and I *still* can't talk at that level that isn't a whisper but is almost as quiet.)
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

But drool wasn't the issue. When I hear drool I think of when your mouth is numb from the dentist and you're forgetting to swallow or not swallowing often enough. I wasn't swallowing while I'm sleeping (and waking up choking on saliva) so the concern should have been on the difficulty swallowing, not on drool. It felt very dismissive from a doctor.
      A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

The doctor may have misinterpreted what you said.

Did you check with the pharmacy and see if he ordered liquid pain meds and liquid antibiotics?
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
        X