This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is your screw-up, not ours

Work finally let me actually come in and work yesterday after being budgeted the last 4 or 5 times I was scheduled. All in all, a fairly lackadaisical day. We started out with 7 stress tests, but that got shortened to 5 due to one no-show and one reschedule. So by noon, we were completely done.

The way our schedule is set up, I work long enough to cover the other two gals' lunch and then I go home. They had decided to stick around until I was scheduled to leave in case any other orders came through and then leave themselves. Off they went to lunch and since there was nothing else to do, I popped over to general to see if they needed help and to see how to process a renal scan since we don't do those very often.

I should note here that I was checking the computer every so often for new orders. This is important. When the other two got back from lunch (let's say 1230ish), there was a message from the floor asking when were we gonna do PatentWe'veNeverHeardOf's stress test.

Wait, what?

There were no outstanding orders in the computer. I checked. N checked while on the phone with the floor. Nope, no order.

But, the floor whines, PWNHO has been NPO this whole tiiiiiiimmmme.

Well, when are you going to put the order in so that we, I dunno, KNOW ABOUT IT?!

And here's the real kicker. The order was written on THURSDAY and signed off at 4am on FRIDAY.

The floor got lucky on a couple things. One, we still had tracers we could use. If we hadn't, they might have been SOL. Second, Awesome Cardiologist was willing to drive in from Next Town Over to supervise. I really hope he was coming anyway to read the other scans done that day cuz I would hate for him to drive all that way just to supervise a 4 minute stress.

Now, if this kind of thing happened occasionally, it wouldn't be so bad. We're all human and stuff happens. But this crap happens All. The. Time. Write-ups are pending for the floor because this needs to stop.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

You know how cranky I would have been about being PO for 24 [or more ] hours?! Actually, if the test had not materialized by 5 or 6 pm yesterday I would have had Rob bring me something to eat and I would have informed the nurse to restart my timer at midnight.

[but then again after experiencing military hospitals, I always bring all my *correct* meds with me and take my own on my schedule. The only thing I bother with is an occasional 1 unit spike of fast acting insulin if something a hospital is doing causes my glucose to go wahooni shaped. And I use Rob to run to the cafeteria and grab me food on my schedule for lunch and supper though I have to give excellent marks to Yale-New Haven for having a patient kitchen that is actually competent at making excellent quality food and being able to produce it on the patients schedule. Honestly, their southern fried chicken beats any commercially made chicken, and is actually better than Rob's!]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

For the laymen, what does "NPO" or "PO" stand for? That's the only thing I don't understand, I'm assuming that it would be something very uncomfortable/annoying to be in for an extended period of time.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        For the laymen, what does "NPO" .
        NPO basically means no food or drink. I've got no idea what PO is, however.
        "But I don't want to be among mad people."
        You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Nil per os (Latin) = nothing by mouth

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
            For the laymen, what does "NPO" or "PO" stand for? That's the only thing I don't understand, I'm assuming that it would be something very uncomfortable/annoying to be in for an extended period of time.
            The PO was a typo, there was a N that my keyboard was being a pain in the butt about [turns out a cookie crumb from youngest godsprog embedded under it was preventing it from typing. Now fixed.]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Ah, NO I remember from my days in hospital - nil orally.
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                Ah, NO I remember from my days in hospital - nil orally.
                I was going to say. 'os' in Latin means 'bone'.

Rapscallion

Comment

"Bone" is not the common usage of the word os. Ask anyone in the medical field what it means and 95% the first word that will come to mind is mouth. We even leaned that in Paramedic school.

Comment

And here's the real kicker. The order was written on THURSDAY and signed off at 4am on FRIDAY.
                    and i knew what NPO was from my prior time as a nursing student - although we called it "nothing put orally". So the patient has been pretty much having nothing, not even water, and they didn't bother putting the order in until sometime late on Friday afternoon?

dayumfuckinghell

i can see why you're pissed

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                      "Bone" is not the common usage of the word os. Ask anyone in the medical field what it means and 95% the first word that will come to mind is mouth. We even leaned that in Paramedic school.
                      I'm more classically trained, not medically. I bow to your knowledge in that area.

Rapscallion

Comment

Dear God, that happens to us all the time. Earlier this week I get a call from the floor.

N:Nurse
                        M:Me

N: When is room whatever going to have her test?
                        M: I don't have an order for that room.
                        N: Well, it was ordered. She's waiting to go home.
                        M: It may have been ordered, but it wasn't entered into the computer. (Which is how I know I have an order.)
                        N: Oh.

I get the order a short time later. Its ordered STAT....
                        Last edited by Antares; 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM.
                        I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

I've had that happen too. Unfortunately for the floor, STAT does not mean "Oops we forgot to put this in so get it done now to cover our screw-up". It means "We have no idea what's wrong with this patient, so do this test before the patient croaks so we might have a shot a figuring it out".
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

This happens far too often where I work.

We have a doctor whom I call Chicken Little. I don't know if the man knows how to order something that isn't a stat. Its a joke in the hospital that even the scheduling people know. We get calls from his office half a dozen times a day for stats because..wait for it...they're in his office.
                            I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth Antares View Post
                              M: It may have been ordered, but it wasn't entered into the computer. (Which is how I know I have an order.)
                              N: Oh.

I get the order a short time later. Its ordered STAT....
                              That's dumb. The insurance company will review that and refuse to pay, because it wasn't medically necessary to be stat.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X