Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just HOW did you get through nursing school?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like mentioned, some treatments can cause a miscarriage or birth defects. You take the test or you don't get the treatment, I don't know of any doctor who is going to risk his license because you don't want to take the test. People lie or just don't know they are with child yet or don't want to admit it for whatever reason. Pure and simple.

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
      I think people should have the right to refuse whatever test or procedure they don't want to have. I hate when hospitals order every test under the sun whether it's indicated or not just to run up the bill. If I wanted a pregnancy test, I'd go to Walgreens, thankyouverymuch.
      That's fine. But if you refuse the test, don't expect the x ray tech to do the radiology test, or the doctor to order any medications.

Some doctors do over order diagnostic procedures. But the key to avoiding this is to make informed decisions, not impulsive ones.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        That's fine. But if you refuse the test, don't expect the x ray tech to do the radiology test, or the doctor to order any medications.

Some doctors do over order diagnostic procedures. But the key to avoiding this is to make informed decisions, not impulsive ones.
        Correct me if I'm wrong as well, but can't you also tell if someone's pregnant from a blood test? I mean, the last few times I've been in the hospital (for psychiatric and non-psychiatric reasons), I've had blood taken, but haven't needed to pee in a cup. Every time the test has come up negative (thankfuck)

Although I think I've freaked the desk clerks out a few times at the uni clinic...whenever they've given me a sample cup and told me to go pee, a few times, it also happens to be that time of the month. Somehow blood gets into it. So to the front desk clerks, I've giving them a bloody urine sample. O.o (Those times I've had to get to work straight after, so I wasn't in a position to drop it off to Clinpath or IMVS.)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong as well, but can't you also tell if someone's pregnant from a blood test? I mean, the last few times I've been in the hospital (for psychiatric and non-psychiatric reasons), I've had blood taken, but haven't needed to pee in a cup. Every time the test has come up negative (thankfuck)

Although I think I've freaked the desk clerks out a few times at the uni clinic...whenever they've given me a sample cup and told me to go pee, a few times, it also happens to be that time of the month. Somehow blood gets into it. So to the front desk clerks, I've giving them a bloody urine sample. O.o (Those times I've had to get to work straight after, so I wasn't in a position to drop it off to Clinpath or IMVS.)
          It's faster and cheaper to do a urine test. Blood in the urine doesn't affect the test. It's a simple dipstick test, even in the hospital.

Blood takes longer to run and costs more. It's also invasive (requires a stick), so its preferred for that reason.

Doctors do the urine test to see if you're pregnant (that's all the test tells you; if there is the hormone hCG in your urine, it's called a qualitative hCG). They test your blood to get an idea of HOW pregnant (called a quantitative hCG) you are, though it's not very reliable past the first trimester, or earlier than 6 weeks.

Of course, if a patient is getting a stick anyway the doctor might order the quantitative to save time.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            Of course, if a patient is getting a stick anyway the doctor might order the quantitative to save time.
            That's where I was thinking.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

When I fell out last year at a factory (heat exhaustion) the hospital made me take one too, although they had a better reason for it.

The nurse told me that whenever they get a young woman who's "fallen out" as she termed it, they test her for pregnancy. Can someone explain that to me?
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Pregnancy puts a massive load on your body: specifically, on any vitamins or minerals you're short of.

Your body has its priorities; regardless of what YOU might want. If you're low on a vitamin or mineral that bubs needs, bubs gets it and you miss out.

Which can mean that if you're typically borderline anemic, you become anemic. And low blood iron can make you faint. (Insufficient oxygen to the brain - boom, down you go.)

Dehydration is another common one. Your body will sacrifice its own fluids to keep bubs alive. In hot weather, even minor dehydration can be enough.

Other shortages of other stuff can also make you faint: and in a woman of child-bearing age, the easiest thing to rule out cheaply and without invading the body is pregnancy. (Peeing in a cup is considered non-invasive because it doesn't actually mean breaking the skin, or having anyone enter any orifices.)

As always: I'm not medical personnel, I just happen to be awake and online and so on. If our med folks disagree with me, trust them.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's pretty much it.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                    Glad you're feeling better. And I agree ... I'm 55 years old, haven't had sex in 9 years. WTF do I still have to take a pregnancy test??
                    Although I'm not as old, it's also been a looooong time since I've had sex. I'm sorry, but there is no fucking way I'm pregnant. Sure, some women lie, but going in assuming and insinuating that I'm lying, because I'm a woman? Not a way for me to have any confidence in my treatment at your facility.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Although I'm not as old, it's also been a looooong time since I've had sex. I'm sorry, but there is no fucking way I'm pregnant. Sure, some women lie, but going in assuming and insinuating that I'm lying, because I'm a woman? Not a way for me to have any confidence in my treatment at your facility.
                      Once again, a pregnancy test doesn't ONLY show if you're pregnant. If you aren't pregnant, haven't had sex in YEARS, yet test positive on a pregnancy test, it could be a sign that there's something much worse going on with your body.

They have to cover their asses. They aren't assuming and insinuating that you're lying, that's like saying that the airline making you go through a metal detection and having your carry on scanned is assuming and insinuating that you're a terrorist trying to hijack a plane. They're just trying to cover their asses.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

So, you say you aren't pregnant, I take you at your word and I send you to get lots of abdominal xrays and give you medicine that is harmful to pregnant women. Oops, you're pregnant and now your child is deformed. Lawsuit time, and the doctor (and probably me as the nurse) are liable for not following best practices. We're not taking that chance when all we need are a few drops of pee and a $0.50 pregnancy test.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          The medical staff have never met you before. As such they have no evidence to base trust (or a lack thereof) on. Because of this everyone gets tests for safety reasons to prevent harm to another.

It's no different to staff wearing gloves when performing an invasive procedure, sure you don't have any BBVs but the staff don't know that so treat everyone exactly the same & wear gloves.
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            And everybody who checks ID is "assuming and insinuating" that everybody who goes in to buy alcohol is underage and lying, too, right?

It's simple, really. There is a possibility you are lying, and once that is acknowledged, they can't take the chance. That's the way the system works. Don't get mad at them for making sure; it's the liars who made it have to be that way; they're just covering their asses. Hell, it's for your protection as much as theirs.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                              a $0.50 pregnancy test.
                              Rappers do that now?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                                Rappers do that now?

Rapscallion

Dammit, you got there first. I was gonna go there.
                                What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                                X