Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So do you know what’s wrong or not? (Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do you know what’s wrong or not? (Long)

Also known as the reason why I’m completely fed up with all doctors.

Last August, during a routine check-up, my regular physician Dr. G-C told me she wanted me that because I’m slightly overweight and have terrible acne on my back and shoulders (to the point where my back is entirely either acne or acne scars), I needed to get blood work done to make sure there wasn’t any underlying medical condition. I reluctantly agree and get the work done before out to college 9 hours away.

I get a phone call several weeks later from my doctor, telling me that several hormone levels are high and it looks like I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and I need to see an OB-GYN, Dr. P, relatively soon. By the time I get home for Thanksgiving break, Dr. P no longer has an office in the area. November and most of December is spent trying to find a new doctor in the area that I could see (problematic only because I’m still under my parent’s medical insurance, which has strange restrictions on which doctors I can see because they work for a hospital).

January rolls around and Dr. P has a new office in the area. I make an appointment a few days before I’m due to go back to school. She tells me that whatever tests Dr. G-C had them do weren’t thorough enough to definitely diagnosis me with PCOS. But if I do have PCOS it could be treated with birth control. More blood work is done, and I return to school where a little while later I get a phone call from Dr. P. I need an MRI done ASAP… except I can’t have it done out at school for insurance reasons.

March, spring break. I have an MRI on Tuesday; Wednesday Dr. G-C calls my house and tells my dad (despite the fact that I’m not a minor and she doesn’t have my permission to talk to my parents) that I have a benign tumor in my pituitary gland. My dad then tells my mom, who then tells me. I then call Dr. P, who explains that the tumor is benign but could be what’s affecting my hormone levels and until we know for sure that’s going on I can’t go on birth control.

Dr. P gets in touch with Dr. B, an endocrinologist who works in the same group as Dr. P. Dr. B tells me that because of the size of the tumor it shouldn’t be doing anything to affect my hormone levels, but she orders more blood work (because apparently everything else that’s been done hasn’t been the right tests) and a salivary cortisal test just to double-check that. This blood work has to be run a very specific way.

I had been having the blood work done at my mom’s hospital, because it was covered under her insurance and I know and trust the people working there. But her insurance changed, so in order for the tests to be covered I had to go to a new outpatient lab associated with a different hospital. First problem was when I handed them the salivary test and they had no idea what it was. Then it takes them close to forty minutes just to figure out what tests had been ordered.

I return to school and hear nothing from Dr. B. Then I get a call from my dad because, despite me specifically telling her that I would be at school and she needed to call my cellphone, she decided to call my home phone. I then call Dr. B and she tells me that the lab lost my salivary test and did every single blood test wrong, and these need to be redone ASAP.

Except I’m 9 hours from home. I end up printing out a release waiver so my mom can work out the details with my doctor; release form gets lost in the mail. Dr. B ends up mailing out another salivary test kit and the orders for the tests and I get finally get the tests redone during finals week at the beginning of May and I return home.

Several weeks pass, no news. I call Dr. B to ask about the test results, get an answering machine and leave a message, hear nothing. This continues for several days, at which point I have another appointment with Dr. G-C. She asks me about what’s going on with everything, because after the MRI she’s been completely out of the loop. I fill her in, and sign more release forms so she can talk with my other two doctors. We also discuss other options for dealing with the side effects of my screwed-up hormone levels (like the acne, and other things).

Dr. G-C calls me a week later, tells me that Dr. B has my test results and I need to get in touch with her ASAP. Three days of phone tag later (caused, once again, by Dr. B calling my home phone when I kept telling her to calling my cell phone, and giving her that number, since I was out of the house most days) I finally get in touch with her. Come to find out, the tumor is not inactive and is actually secreting something that’s affecting my hormone levels. Which means I can't go on any medication for anything, because of the treatment I may need to deal with the tumor.

Dr. B orders another salivary test and a 24-hour urine collection. She mails the orders and the kits- or at least, half of the urine collection kit because my mom ends up picking up the rest from work because it was missing- to Dr. P. I don’t know why, because Dr. P is only in her local office on Tuesdays and it arrived on Wednesday, so it was a week before I could even pick it up.

Dropped it off at a lab two weeks ago. Currently stuck in another round of phone tag with Dr. B trying to figure out if she has any test results yet, because of course she’s not going to call. All I know is that if it's confirmed that the tumor is secreting something I'm going to need more blood work, a round of steroids, and then more blood work... Whether that's the treatment or just more tests I have no idea, because Dr. G-C is yet again out of the loop and Dr. B is either being vague or unreachable.

So as of right now I have no definitive diagnosis, three doctors who refuse to talk to each other, and I honestly have no idea who is supposed to be dealing with what. At this point, I’m extremely tempted to throw in the towel and call it quits because I can’t deal with this anymore.

Except, y’know, there’s a tumor in my pituitary gland...

This seems extremely unprofessional. I mean, losing the salivary test, messing up all the blood tests, and everything else, I think you may need to report some of the people involved. I mean, is they keep up this unprofessional behavior, they could really make a bad mess for someone.

I'm so sorry about the tumor. I hope for good news for you!

Comment

I'm with Rena on this. There has to be someone you can report these things to and get results. Three doctors who are all (supposedly) trying to get you better and they refuse to talk to one another? What? Is this like high-school where THEY have to be the one to discover the cause and be the "hero"?

I also hope you get good news and that the treatment isn't anything too draining or strenuous. I'm sending as much good energy as I can!
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

The two I really see needing to communicate is Dr. G-C and Dr. B. From what you're saying, Dr. B seems to be the biggest issue in communication. If both you and Dr. G-C is having to play phone tag with Dr. B, I'd report HER first and then ask Dr. G-C if there was another she could recommend.

Never hurts to get a second opinion and possibly much better service.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          The two I really see needing to communicate is Dr. G-C and Dr. B. From what you're saying, Dr. B seems to be the biggest issue in communication. If both you and Dr. G-C is having to play phone tag with Dr. B, I'd report HER first and then ask Dr. G-C if there was another she could recommend.

Never hurts to get a second opinion and possibly much better service.
          Second this. It sounds almost as if Dr. B is either waltzing in and out of the office whenever the mood strikes, or is extremely disorganized. See if Dr. G-C can suggest somebody else who will actually do the job the way it's supposed to be done.

Hoping everything goes well and the treatment is minimal.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Unfortunately the reason I'm with Dr. B in the first place is just because of my age. When this mess had all started I had just turned 18 and it was suggested I go to Dr. B because she's technically a pediatric endocrinologist and I was told by Dr. P that some other doctors wouldn't see me because of my age? I don't know how true this is, but that's why I went to her in the first place at least. Plus, now I'm leaving to go back to college in less than two weeks so it doesn't give me enough time to change doctors AND still get results. I have told Dr. B that I'm less-than-pleased with how she's been treating things, and if I do need to keep seeing an endocrinologist for treatment I probably will find someone new the next time I'm home.

Also a small update, after having finally gotten in touch with Dr. B: Latest round of tests completely contradict the results from an earlier test so it's once again up in the air as to whether it's PCOS or the tumor causing my problems. More tests in my future, I fear.

Comment

Does Dr B have a supervisor or someone in charge of their department that you could talk to? It might be worth a shot to talk to them or a hospital higher up and explain all the issues going on.
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I'm more concerned with the doctor's office calling your home and talking to your parents about your medical condition. Unless you've given written permission to discuss your medical details with your parents, they should be doing nothing more than leaving call-back messages. If I were you, I'd remove your home phone number from their records completely and leave only the cell phone number. That whole mess overall, though, is ridiculous.

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                  I'm more concerned with the doctor's office calling your home and talking to your parents about your medical condition. Unless you've given written permission to discuss your medical details with your parents, they should be doing nothing more than leaving call-back messages.
                  The magic word here is HIPAA. You are a legal adult, and based on sopmething you said your first post here I'm guessing you're in the US of A, so unless your parents have a power of attorney or other such legal reason to know about your Protected Health Information (hereinafter PHI), they have no right to get this PHI.

Tell the doctor's office that THIS is how they are to contact you, period, and if you get your PHI leaked where it shouldn't be one more time, you're filing a complaint with the appropriate authority. That should put the fear of their deity of choice into them.

(edit: I suppose you could be elsewhere as well. Just because one of your regular customers claimed to have slept with JFK doesn't automatically make her an American: he got around, from all reports...)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    The magic word here is HIPAA. You are a legal adult, and based on sopmething you said your first post here I'm guessing you're in the US of A, so unless your parents have a power of attorney or other such legal reason to know about your Protected Health Information (hereinafter PHI), they have no right to get this PHI.

Tell the doctor's office that THIS is how they are to contact you, period, and if you get your PHI leaked where it shouldn't be one more time, you're filing a complaint with the appropriate authority. That should put the fear of their deity of choice into them.

(edit: I suppose you could be elsewhere as well. Just because one of your regular customers claimed to have slept with JFK doesn't automatically make her an American: he got around, from all reports...)
                    Thank you for the advice, and for what it's worth I am from the US. I did call Dr. G-C after she talked to my dad and told her that I did not want her to do that again, that she had no right to do that, etc. So far she hasn't been a problem again, and she's been very careful to only talk to me or with my other doctors after I signed off on the appropriate paperwork for her to do so. So there is that at least.

My mom's still trying to talk to my doctors behind my back, though. Even though I've told her as well that I need to be the one to handle this because otherwise I know she's not going to tell me everything I need to know. At least my doctors seem to be keeping quiet around her. I don't know if Dr. G-C put the fear of god into the others if they're just smarter, but I'm certainly not complaining.

And I suppose a small update, while I'm posting:

Latest test results came back, and Dr. B doesn't think the tumor's doing anything. Unfortunately that's about the only good news.

I was told to go back to Dr. P for a birth control prescription, but Dr. P had no available appointments/is going to be out of the office this week and I leave to go back to school on Sunday. So Dr. P told me to go back to Dr. B to get the prescription and I briefly explained the problems I'd been having with her and that I was going to find a new endocrinologist (since I had only gone to see her on Dr. P's recommendation). Dr. P had nothing to say in response, no "Oh, I'm sorry that's not like her" or anything, which makes me wonder if maybe this isn't the first complaint about Dr. B she's heard.

So unless Dr. G-C can write a prescription without needing to see me (since she has no available appointments either), I'm going back to school with nothing to really show for a summer's worth of tests.

Comment

If your school has a health clinic, you might try getting birth control from them. At the very least it would tide you over until you get home for winter break or whatever. You might even get it for free; I was able to get all my meds for free while I was in grad school.
                      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I hope everything works out ok. Everything you're going through reminds me of 20 years ago when one doctor found a lesion on my liver. I never did find out what was ultimately going on, but I'm still here and kicking, and the latest round of scans (for other things) are no longer showing anything on the liver. Good luck!
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                          If your school has a health clinic, you might try getting birth control from them. At the very least it would tide you over until you get home for winter break or whatever. You might even get it for free; I was able to get all my meds for free while I was in grad school.
                          Planned Parenthood is another good resource for cheap birth control.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Well, luckily Dr. G-C wrote me a prescription for birth control to tide me over until I can get in to see Dr. P over my Thanksgiving break.

In another wonderful showing of my doctors not communicating effectively with each other, when I called Dr. P and was told she couldn't write me a prescription she said that she had been talking with Dr. G-C about my birth control options and that they agreed that Yaz would be a good bet but they wouldn't put me on it because of the side-effects.

Three guesses as to what Dr. G-C prescribed me.

And in other news, the search is on for a new endocrinologist because now that the tumor is definitely benign (YAY!!!) and I don't need to get that treated, I am NEVER going back to Dr. B. Any follow-up/monitoring that needs to be done will be done through a different doctor.

Comment

Ugh, Yaz. I avoid that like the plague since it gave me blood clots (no other risk factors) and other REALLY bad side effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X