This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubious Compliments, Inappropriate Conversations, and a Spurious ER Visit

Notes from the Sturdy Nurse's last shift at work.

The Dubious Compliment

A patient had been admitted with severe abdominal pain and was parked in the hall waiting for a room to open up.

Patient: ITHURTSOHGODITHURTSGIVEMESOMETHINGFORTHEPAINI like your hairITREALLYFUCKINGHURTSOHGODITHURTSARGHH!!

Sturdy Nurse: What?

Patient: ITHURTSITHURTSITHURTSMAKEITSTOPHURTINGI like your hair, it's really prettyGIVEMESOMETHINGMAKEITSTOPHURTINGOHGODOHGODOHGOD!!

The Inappropriate Conversation

A patient was roaming the ER talking loudly on a cell phone. The person on the other end was the patient's girlfriend. Everyone knew this because the two of them were having phone sex.

The Spurious ER Visit

A person came to the ER because...

............they were hungry.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

The first one doesn't sound to bad. Odd, but not bad. Not sure on the 3rd one. There had to be a fast food place nearby.

Comment

We had someone come in with stomach pain. During my assessment, I gathered that the last time they ate something was 2 days ago. Well, no wonder your stomach hurts, honey.

Comment

Quoth BEN1972 View Post
        The first one doesn't sound to bad. Odd, but not bad. Not sure on the 3rd one. There had to be a fast food place nearby.
        Im betting they were broke and most likely homeless (if they were neither of those, then i take it back. ). Unfortunately, the ER is seen as a warm bed and food source..much like jail.

Comment

Quoth BEN1972 View Post
          Nah, it wasn't too bad. Just weird.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Im betting they were broke and most likely homeless (if they were neither of those, then i take it back. ). Unfortunately, the ER is seen as a warm bed and food source..much like jail.
            Lately the cops have been giving drunk homeless guys the choice between jail & the hospital. I am very annoyed at the cops for giving them a choice, especially since the people who come in know our hospital well enough to claim that they want to kill themselves, granting them an extra day or so of ER time.

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
              Notes from the Sturdy Nurse's last shift at work.

Patient: ITHURTSOHGODITHURTSGIVEMESOMETHINGFORTHEPAINI like your hairITREALLYFUCKINGHURTSOHGODITHURTSARGHH!!
              Different. Patients say the oddest things sometimes.

Everyone knew this because the two of them were having phone sex.
              Ugh. This is why I hate cell phones in the ER. Sturdy Nurse should tell this guy to get off the phone.

The Spurious ER Visit

A person came to the ER because...
              .they were hungry.
              Yeah, been there. I had a lot of frequent fliers who'd come in with a "pain" complaint and immediately demand food, which I'd just as promptly deny since I couldn't be sure they didn't have a surgical issue.

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              Lately the cops have been giving drunk homeless guys the choice between jail & the hospital. I am very annoyed at the cops for giving them a choice, especially since the people who come in know our hospital well enough to claim that they want to kill themselves, granting them an extra day or so of ER time.
              This issue is a double edged sword. It's actually safer to let drunks sleep it off in the ER than in the jail. A lot of people have died in jail because they aspirated vomit or had some other medical condition that wasn't adequately addressed by the jail staff.

A lot of my legal nurse consulting cases revolve around issues like this.

But it sure is a pain in the ass for the ER staff.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                This issue is a double edged sword. It's actually safer to let drunks sleep it off in the ER than in the jail. A lot of people have died in jail because they aspirated vomit or had some other medical condition that wasn't adequately addressed by the jail staff.

A lot of my legal nurse consulting cases revolve around issues like this.

But it sure is a pain in the ass for the ER staff.
                Maybe there needs to be a medically AND security supervised drunk tank?
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Nah, it wasn't too bad. Just weird.
                  Even weirder is the little scenario that played through my head as I read it - that the patient didn't know about "hunger" and you folks diagnosed him:

"I don't know what's wrong with me! My stomach is making gurgling noises and feels hollow. I'm listless and faint and my mouth keeps watering!!"

"Get this person a sammich, STAT!"

Comment

A patient was roaming the ER talking loudly on a cell phone. The person on the other end was the patient's girlfriend. Everyone knew this because the two of them were having phone sex.
                    In the ER.

Perhaps someone needs to give him a clue-by-for.... that the emergency in his pants isn't the kind that the ER handles.

tho seriously, he couldn't have really needed the ER then. not if he was busy trying to get laid through his ears.

they were hungry.
                    in a way i'm not entirely surprised. kinda like how, in some areas, some people will purposefully get arrested right before the winter season ... just for the food & shelter.
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I was reading 'Things I learned from my Patients' - the infamous threads over on the SND forums recently. It's a very common ER complaint.

Rapscallion

Comment

First cold snap of the season and people wold be calling about the drunks. There were some who were fine to stay outside but we had to wake them up and drink them to the ER. One night was 16 calls (in 12 hours), 11 of which were drunks.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          I've advocated for it . . . to be in the jail. Unfortunately, there's no budget for it, and law enforcement doesn't want to budget for it.

Hospitals can't do it; heck, it's all we can do to get them to provide us with safe rooms for mentally ill patients, much less drunks.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Not to mention most hospitals I know would have to expand to accommodate room it they were the new holding tank. As for safe rooms, out of the 3 hospitals in my hometown, only one has a dedicated "safe room" and even then only one. Another hospital has been known to just line the drunks up in the decon room.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              We have one in Hamburg, each weekend it's full to the brim. I watched a report about it once, they have their frequent flyers, and sometimes they save a life.
                              The rooms are completely hoseable, so they aren't really comfortable, but it's a safe place to sleep it off.
                              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X