This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    Next time they ignore you, take pictures of the results. Use them to show the next crew that she's a problem stick and if they still try to ignore you, talk about how they're committing elder abuse by torturing the poor woman. Because, really, that is what they're doing.

^-.-^
    That'll go over like a fart in church.

Nurses hear so and so is a hard stick all the time. Asking for someone experienced is not unreasonable, but it doesn't take much for someone to be able to rightly claim to be experienced.

Ask for an IV therapy nurse. Then you know you're getting experience.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

i am writing these responses down.

I'm a nightmare for nurses for even pricking my finger, let alone drawing blood....

Comment

Take a stuffy and a friend.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Oh I used to be afraid of needles and getting blood taken. Now I'm stabbed regularly with 18 gauge needles and it's not a big deal anymore. My veins do tend to be buried though and I only have two really good ones to pick from. I'm thinking of lifting small weights to get my veins to pop out better...I heard it could help. Lots of water helps as well.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I don't think I'm a particularly hard "stick". Nice plump veins in the back of my hand and in my elbow. They never have to stick me more than once, on the exceedingly rare occasions I ever get stuck.

But if I don't get some lots of Valium before the needle goes in, someone's gonna get hurt. Might even be me. (Probably from attempting to run through a closed door or out a window. I've been needle-phobic since before I was 3, and it's only gotten worse over the years.)

And I don't let them use my elbow anymore, once I found out that they can get it through the hand. They use a nice thin plastic needle that doesn't even hurt too much. Takes a bit longer, but the benzodiazepines make it so you don't notice.

Comment

Always have something for the patient to squeeze tightly.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

People have always had an easy time drawing from the crook of my arm. I usually have to stare off in a corner. Sometimes it helps if I'm being talked to. And I know this sounds odd, but I feel a little better when the blood person doesn't have a look in their face like they're about to kill me. Walked right out of one clinic, the lady gave me the heebie jeebies.

Comment

I, unfortunately, have to get a phlebotomy every week It helps that I'm able to get the same phlebotomist each time - we have developed a relationship. She knows I can't watch and she talks to me about *whatever* while the blood draw is happening.

I went into this by telling her "this is what I need to do to be able to do this". I was lucky that she listened and respected my needs. I forget whether the OP is the patient or the blood-drawer, but maybe this will help. Try to find a point of reference - something you both can talk about or relate to. Even if it's nonsense, it will help - whether you're the patient who hates blood draws, or the drawer who isn't confident yet. If you're both relaxed, things will go soooo much better.

Hope this makes sense!

ETA: As I've read through this thread, I'm reminded about tourniquets. My phlebotomist doesn't use a tourniquet, she uses a blood pressure cuff. It works just as well and is a LOT more comfortable for the patient. Just saying :-)
                  Last edited by Teefies2; 11-24-2012, 06:25 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    If you're having to take blood with kids, try and distract them.
                    I would have to disagree. Ask the parents how the child is with needles. Kideo is fine with them but gets nervous when he can't see what's going on. I had to tell one nurse repeatedly and eventually quite firmly NOT to do this.

Comment

Oh lord, why am I reading this when I know I have shots coming next month? I is nervous now.
                      Shameless self promotion:
                      DeviantArt page: A Creepypasta Lover
                      Blog: A Proxy Girl
                      Best comic ever: Pasta Monsters by XcomickittyX
                      "Here's Jeffrey!" --Me, describing my favorite creepypasta

Comment

Crazyclerk, it's okay. Ask for an experienced phlebotomist, and just stay as calm as you can. On the day, take a friend and a comfort-toy of some sort. (I tell people that my tiger is my 'prosthetic calm'.)

Sit down comfortably, or if you can, lie down. Cuddle the toy with whichever arm they aren't using, and look away. Talk - babble - to your friend or the nurse or both. If the nurse gets it on the first try, it'll just be a brief pain and then you'll hold still while she fills the vials (assuming she's drawing blood).

If she has to try again, just keep talking and focussing on what you're talking about, and leave her to do her job.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thanks Seshat, usually I only need one try, especially for the type of shots I'm getting. I find closing my eyes seems to help, since I am kinda squeamish. I'll have to find my comfort toy, wherever it's vanished to.
                          Shameless self promotion:
                          DeviantArt page: A Creepypasta Lover
                          Blog: A Proxy Girl
                          Best comic ever: Pasta Monsters by XcomickittyX
                          "Here's Jeffrey!" --Me, describing my favorite creepypasta

Comment

Quoth crazyclerk12 View Post
                            Thanks Seshat, usually I only need one try, especially for the type of shots I'm getting. I find closing my eyes seems to help, since I am kinda squeamish. I'll have to find my comfort toy, wherever it's vanished to.
                            Take a music player or a radio of some sort as well. Provided you don't jerk your arms around during the procedure, music works amazingly well as a distraction.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              Take a music player or a radio of some sort as well
                              How innovative. I like it!
                              If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Quoth Iced Coffee Man View Post
                                How innovative. I like it!
                                It was the only way I was able to get through having blood tests both when I was hospitalised and when they were trying to rule out any health issues.

It was also how I got through my Implanon insertion.
                                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                                X