This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a Target...

... for any virus or bacterium at the moment.
    I just need to whine a bit...
    Doc visit 1: Diarrhea, not too bad, just really annoying.
    Doc visit 2: 2 days after first visit. Erysipelas... arrrrrrgh <expletiv deleted> last time that got me 3 weeks of hospital, now it's just antibiotics *sigh*
    Doc visit 3: a week later, *cough* *sneeze* horrible cold, fever, chills... lovely... 2 infections...
    Doc visit 4: 5 days later, still coughing and sneezing, and that <censored> erysipelas mostly ignores the antibiotic, it's healing oh so slowly, so continue taking the antibiotic. On the plus side: Doc is sniffling too, Ha!
    Doc visit 5: today, still coughing and sneezing a bit, but the erysipelas continues to ignore the antibiotic, so now I'm taking another type, which will hopefully do the trick.
    I hate it! Why me! I can feel my body fighting two infections at the same time.
    </whine>
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

If I was anywhere near you I would be more than happy to make you some chicken soup - I make it heavy in garlic and ginger, with plenty of noodles and vegetables and chicken. It may not be a cure, but it can help you feel better.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
      If I was anywhere near you I would be more than happy to make you some chicken soup - I make it heavy in garlic and ginger, with plenty of noodles and vegetables and chicken. It may not be a cure, but it can help you feel better.
      Actually the garlic acts as a natural antibiotic And the ginger helps settle your stomach as well.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yum, homemade chicken soup!
        I appreciate your offer, AccountingDrone.

Comment

<whine>I went to the doc again, because my <censored> cough won't stop bothering me. So she refered me to a pulmonologist. Result: Doc is suspecting non-allergic asthma, I'm inhaling all sorts of stuff now, and it seems to get better.
          Meh! </whine>

Comment

At least you're not fighting tonsilitis, hayfever/cold AND stomach cramps/general bowel problems. (Stupid antibiotics)
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              At least you're not fighting tonsilitis, hayfever/cold AND stomach cramps/general bowel problems. (Stupid antibiotics)
              Oooooh what a lovely combination, NOT!
              Antibiotics and their side effects, on the other hand... without antibiotics... I'm quite grateful that we have them!

Comment

Hey, as long as they don't give you that Amoxicillin shit. You want a bad time? It kicks the ass of a lot infections, but carries with it a gigantic target for all sorts of downstairs issues, like yeast infections and all that fun stuff.

Source: a friend of mine

Comment

Tell me about Amoxicillin... 10 days of it left me with an itch down there, and women have a considerably bigger area to itch... Now guess what didn't help against that erysipelas... yeah... 3rd type of antibiotic now... <mutter> <mumble> This one messes up my stomach, but with pantroprazol pills and taking it with meals it's not too bad.
                  On the other hand, the inhaler for the asthma works, no more coughing fits at night!WOOHOO!

Comment

My inhaler is now my best friend. Just got it yesterday after going to the doc-in-the-box because my allergies moved into my chest. She prescribed the inhaler, amoxicillin (I'm allergic to erythromycin derivatives), a steroid shot, cough syrup and a stern warning to go to to my regular doc and discuss with him allergy asthma.

I had a lot of non-productive coughing.. like only 1 in 4 coughs would actually bring anything up and even then it was a yellowish color. I couldn't walk very far without darn near panting or wheezing. Sure, I had all the other allergy symptoms, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, etc.. but the breathing was what dragged me into see the doc.

One hit on that inhaler and ooooh, my the difference! I could BREATH.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Thank Ceiling Cat I have no allergies! The doc told me to hit the inhaler again as soon as I get any cold, though.
                      Right now I am to test how low I can get the dosis, from 4 hits, to 2 hits, to just when you need it. My lung volume is up half a litre and no more wheezing sounds in my lung!

Is your inhaler just for widening the bronchial tubes? If it contains any steroids or corticoids, I highly recommend brushing your teeth after each use, or at least rinse your mouth with water. If you don't do that you can end up with thrush in your mouth. A friend of mine has allergic asthma and she learned that the hard way. And I'm a dedicated teeth brusher now.

No matter what, I'm very glad we have modern evidence based medicine. I might whine, wail, lament about lots of ailments, but just 100 years ago some of these things might have killed me.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        My inhaler is now my best friend. Just got it yesterday after going to the doc-in-the-box because my allergies moved into my chest. She prescribed the inhaler, amoxicillin (I'm allergic to erythromycin derivatives), a steroid shot, cough syrup and a stern warning to go to to my regular doc and discuss with him allergy asthma.

I had a lot of non-productive coughing.. like only 1 in 4 coughs would actually bring anything up and even then it was a yellowish color. I couldn't walk very far without darn near panting or wheezing. Sure, I had all the other allergy symptoms, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, etc.. but the breathing was what dragged me into see the doc.

One hit on that inhaler and ooooh, my the difference! I could BREATH.
                        Hey, if they think the Amoxi will work, then more power to them. If you start itching and feeling gross, I'll have to say, "I told you so". :P

Comment

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                          Hey, if they think the Amoxi will work, then more power to them. If you start itching and feeling gross, I'll have to say, "I told you so". :P
                          Side effects are different for everyone and sometimes the benefits outweight the side effects. And then there's the Nocebo-effect. I guess most people are familiar with the placebo-effect where a pill/tablet/whatever simply works because the person taking it believes it to work. The nocebo effect causes medidtion not to work or to have (stronger) side effects, when the patient believes it. Believing is not a conscious decision you make, studies have shown that a medication is more potent when given by a doctor, compared to given by a nurse. Some pill colours work better than others for certain illnesses, and size matters too.

Comment

I should clarify, it's not just amoxi. It was the generic of Augmentin. Amoxi doesn't bother me, even in high doses. A friend of mine would get yeast infections from every antibiotic out there, so she preplanned. Whenever she needed an antibiotic, she'd ask the doc for a scrip for the pill for yeast infections too.

Besides, I'd rather deal with an easily treated yeast infection than the hives that z-packs and biaxin give me. Or at least it was hives the last time I took either.. the docs won't risk any of the erythromycins anymore, because I could have a much worse reaction the "next time."

And I have to wait until after payday to go in to see the regular GP. By that time, this will likely clear up and I won't show a sign of it. Oh well, at least my doc will listen to me and make note of it. Although I am curious about whether I'd pass the test now or not.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                            X