This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was so funny I couldn't stop laughing

I went down to the garden center today as a new craft section had opened. I arrived at 3:30pm and the store closes at 4pm so by the time I had chosen beads to make earrings and paid it was 3:55pm. The craft area is a seperate shop that just rents the space and this is the first thing that made me laugh.

Lady carrying a tray of flowers sees a smaller que at the craft till than the garden center till so puts her flowers down at the craft till

craft staff: I'm sorry ma'am you can't pay for that here
    lady: yes thank you
    craft lady: I'm SORRY ma'am I CAN'T serve you here

It was so funny how she had to really say it slowly.

I paid for my goods then got talking to the girls about beginner classes they do and collected some materials about it. While I was talking 4 people tried to pay for garden center items totally missing the different uniform the staff were wearing.

Now the real fun starts. I went over to the garden center tills which face the enterance door and saw a staff member lock the enterance doors. There were about 5 people queing to pay and while I was waiting I see a car drive up the exit ramp and two people walk over to the door. Of course the doors stayed closed so the lady stepped back and tried again. I laughed and the staff at the till turned to see what I was looking at and started laughing too. She tried this approach 3 more times before pushing the door! Actually pushing a sliding door XD!
    After this didn't work she walked around the side of the building and walked in the exit door to be told the store was shut. They headed back to their car but by now there was a group of about 5 people trying to get in. I could have sat there for hours watching them walking around like they were in some sort of maze.

My wife had similar experiences when she worked at a ice cream shop. It was in a shopping centre and had roll down shutters. With four freezer motors going it got pretty hot in there with all the shutters down so we used to prop one up about a foot off the counter while we cleaned up. Invariably there would be at least one person who'd stick their head under the shutter and ask us if we were closed (no, we think that the having the shutters down is a better way to do business). Sometimes, if we'd only just closed up, we'd scoop an ice cream for people if that was all they wanted. Now part of the usual service was free whipped cream and topping on the icecream. The second night I was there, a woman stuck her head under the shutter. She only wanted an ice cream so my boss told me to make it. I did and I handed it to her and said "that'll be $2.50 thank you". She asked me if she could have free cream and hot fudge topping (I'd already told her at the start that there was nothing but ice cream available). I said no and explained polietly that it wasn't available (both machines were currently taken apart being cleaned) and she asked if she could have a discount. My boss was thrilled when I said "No, you can't have a discount for something that's free". She didn't look happy but she paid her $2.50 anyway. It was the start of many, many tight customers that I saw over the 10 months I was there. Most people were really nice but some days you just had to go out the back and swear into a freezer.
    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Store1 has a Starbucks attached to it, but it is NOT a BN cafe. Occasionally we'd get people with Starbucks mugs or other gift items (and sometimes games that we also carried, they used to have Cranium games sometimes; only difference is that Sbucks uses the UPC code, and BN gives them an ISBN number and restickers them), and we'd have to send them back there to pay for them. I think more often they'd get people with books/magazines and want to pay for them when they got coffee.

Mostly people would just bring stuff over there to read, despite the giant, apparently invisible sign right in front of the entrance that says they have to pay for them first. Almost every night they would bring over a stack of stuff, and sometimes they'd find stuff after we closed (they stay open later on weekends). A few times I'd have a Starbucks employee passing me books one at a time through the gate cuz I didn't have the key.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
      X