Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just caught a couple scammers dead in their tracks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just caught a couple scammers dead in their tracks!

I'm in the kitchen eating breakfast, and I hear several LOUD knocks/slams on the front door. Cue my opening the door with a, "what the hell did that poor door ever do to you?" face.

As soon as I open the door, two guys about my age are standing on the front steps. They're part of the outfit that comes door-to-door supposedly selling magazines to benefit the military and band fund at my former HS (which didn't exist when I graduated). Okay, whatever. I listen to their sales pitch a while, and they make me feel completely awkward. My red flags were already rising at that point, until they said something that sent every rising red flag right to the top of the pole: apparently they graduated from my high school the same year I graduated, but I'd never seen them before. You'd think I'd remember someone who graduated in my class with a name so close to mine walking the stage at graduation, right? I thought I was going through major memory loss.

Something deep inside me told me I wasn't completely crazy, so I came back inside with their "business card" and sat down at my computer. You see, I was an editor on my HS yearbook staff for my entire HS career. Part of those editorial duties was running about 25-30 index runs per year as names were added to the yearbook. Naturally, I had about 120 different index runs to check, but I only checked the final drafts from each year. Those were really the only important ones since those would've been the ones we sent off to be published.

I opened up each of the final runs I had, brought up the "Find" command, and typed each of their names in the search field one at a time. Nothing. I checked the "Not Pictured" section of the index to see if I could find them. Again, nothing. Since my HS was pretty much an "everyone knows everyone" environment, I now knew for sure my original suspicions were correct.

I grimaced at this point because local law enforcement is worthless as a golden turd, but I knew I had to tip them off about this. Even if they did nothing, I knew it would make me feel better having said something. I called them up, stated my case, and explained to them what I'd done to come to this conclusion. Much to my surprise, a cop is in the neighborhood no more than five minutes later. I happen to glance back out the window a minute or two later, and both guys are cuffed.

Since this is a predominantly elderly neighborhood (most of our neighbors are over 65), who knows how many of the people living around here who would have been manipulated due to their trusting nature I saved from being scammed?

And here I thought I'd already told you guys every exciting story I had... This is proof that you should always trust your first instinct!

See I would have done the dumb thing and mentioned not knowing them in school. Glad you got them caught and saved some neighbors some money.

Comment

Way to go
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

That's fantastic. Nice job!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          See I would have done the dumb thing and mentioned not knowing them in school.*snip*
          Yeah, me too ... Good on you for not saying anything and tipping off the police instead!

Comment

That's awesome!!!
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

On behalf of people everywhere that have been scammed by people like those, THANK YOU.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                See I would have done the dumb thing and mentioned not knowing them in school.
                I think I would've said something any other time, too...but these guys just acted weird. Hell, I was dumbfounded more than half the time they were here. One of the guys asked me if I was a child molester. Yeah, I'm not, but I'm not going to dignify that asinine question with a response.

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                Yeah, me too ... Good on you for not saying anything and tipping off the police instead!
                I'm still extremely-surprised the police actually did something about this. Kudos to them, I guess.

Comment

They....asked you what?? WTF?? Bizarre.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    WTF?? Bizarre.
                    Was that supposed to entice you to cough up with money???

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      They....asked you what?? WTF?? Bizarre.
                      Quoth Mikkel View Post
                      Was that supposed to entice you to cough up with money???
                      If this was the way they were conducting "business" (which we know now really wasn't business at all):

1) I don't know how they expected anyone to give them any money;
                      2) anyone who did give money would've had to be oblivious to miss what was going on; and
                      3) the scammers in question must've been really stupid to think insulting their "customer" base was an acceptable "sales" technique.

Going back to the original story and answering the questions of how I might've pulled this off, I forgot to mention that I do look quite a bit older than my actual age. I have a full beard, which has always made people believe I was 2-3 years older. This might be why the scammers thought they could pull that over on me: pick a class that seems like enough time has elapsed between the year someone who might know they were BS'ing graduated and their supposed class, and they may have been able to get away with what they were doing. Lucky for them, they picked my class. Wrong answer! I love stupid criminals.

The town newspaper comes out later today, and they make a point to put the police blotter right in the front section. I'll be checking that out to see what I can find. If there's anything interesting, be ready for an update!

Comment

UPDATE!

Checked the police blotter this morning and found this juicy bit of info:

When they were arrested, the cops found over $600 on them plus some undisclosed drugs. That tells me some people were taken by their scheme, which is unfortunate. That also explains their highly-bizarre behavior and why they acted so weird that it made me uncomfortable.

They were both released on $500 bond. Honestly, that's no surprise. I'll just have to keep an eye out for them again.

Maybe this time people will be more in tune to this scheme since the blotter described them as running a fraudulent magazine solicitation business. One can only hope, but the local paper's circulation is low and their website leaves a lot to be desired. (Last time their website was actually useful, they didn't even publish the blotter. I wouldn't know if they do now or not since it's a $30 yearly subscription just to access the website anymore.)

Comment

That was awesome. You deserve a standing ovation. How were they acting? Did they have shifty eyes, or speak erratically?
                          Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Comment

That's why I don't open my door to anyone. Unless I am expecting them, or they call me to let me know they are outside.

Comment

Working...
                            X