This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customer complaint turns into suspension

My best friend works as a waitress at a popular restaurant in town. This is a story she told me today and I still can't get over it. There's also a little morons in management thrown in while we're at it.

So my friend is working a busy mother's day shift and gets a couple with an infant. The woman gets fish and chips, the man gets a steak with rice. The man calls her over after the food is served and tells her he ordered the steak medium so it should have a little pink in the middle (according to him it was WAY overcooked). He also mentions that when he took a bite of the rice, he burned his mouth out so clearly it was served way too hot. Ok, my friend apologizes and has the dish recooked. The food is returned to the table and all is supposedly well.

Friend uses the bathroom after they pay the check (no employee only facilities so this was the regular public ladies room) and returns to the front when the one of the other waitresses tells her that M, the manager, wants to see her. Friend sees the man from her last table near the hostess station in front and he looks agitated. M takes her to the back and informs her that the man's wife overheard her talking about the man's way too hot rice on his plate and how dare she talk about a customer like that.

My friend says she was the only person in the restroom and she didn't say a word to anyone. She's not the type of person to even grumble under her breath, so she says this complaint came out of left field. M tells my friend that she comped the couple's entire meal and gave them a $50 gift certificate on top of that. Friend is also written up because she did not go directly to M to advise her the man's meal wasn't satisfactory to him and he couldn't eat with his wife on her first mother's day. Granted, my friend says she saw that M was extremely busy and told the hostess instead, but the situation was handled professionally and in a timely manner so I think this couple was out to get a free meal.

Oh, and my friend was suspended for a day as well so she lost out on a night of tips on one of the restaurant's prime busy times. M told my friend that she should come in a few minutes early on her next shift so the owner can also read her the riot act (M's words) because this is the worst complaint they've ever gotten. My friend arrives for her next shift early as requested. Owner walks in from the back, gives friend a kiss on the cheek and asks how she is like nothing ever transpired.

Uh, what? Color my friend confused. She works her shift like normal and called me today like WTF??

As an aside, I thought maybe M has something against friend, but it appears she treats all the staff like crap. They all can't wait until she retires next season.

That suspension sucks. If I was your friend I would have asked who I was supposedly talking to when the customer "overheard" me talking about the man. Point out the person I was speaking to; where was I and where was Mrs. SC when she supposedly overheard me? SC probably would have sputtered some nonsense because she hadn't thought of a complete story. Nasty people, I hope they don't come back.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would have been sorely tempted to ask the owner if I was in trouble and if he/she looked puzzled, explained the whole situation to them in agitation (feigned or not). Possibly nothing would've come of it, but I have to wonder how much the owner knows about how M is behaving. Might be a bit of a wake-up call. It would be nice to think that perhaps M would be the one to get a talking-to ...

Also, if this is M's normal procedure, it's a wonder that restaurant is making any money at all.

And there will likely be more than a few speshul snowflakes who might be in for a shock when M retires, depending on who the replacement is ... one can hope, eh?

Comment

I think it's still not too late to take it up with the owner, perhaps as "..there's been something bothering me for the past week, can we talk privately..." After all, your friend should be given a chance to defend against obvious lies.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

This may be out in left-field ... or way past that and in the bleachers even ... but is there any chance that M either knew them, or had a grudge against your friend?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            This may be out in left-field ... or way past that and in the bleachers even ... but is there any chance that M either knew them, or had a grudge against your friend?
            I was thinking more along the lines that he knew the couple, wanted to give them a bunch of freebies, and needed to throw someone under the bus to justify it to the higher ups when they question why he gave so much away.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
              I was thinking more along the lines that he knew the couple, wanted to give them a bunch of freebies, and needed to throw someone under the bus to justify it to the higher ups when they question why he gave so much away.
              That or he has some personal beef against the employee and used this as an excuse to abuse their authority.

Comment

Working...
              X