Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to college with senior citizens. They didn't have to take exams they just wanted the knowledge. I was happy for them!
    ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

When I went to college (at the "standard age", more or less), I don't think I had more than a tiny handful of classes that did NOT have students who were middle-aged or older. Hell, they were often the most active students...and they told the best stories! ^_^ Bring 'em on, I say!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Heh. When I finally got my associate's degree (after years of screwing around instead of getting serious about my education), one of my classmates (as in, he'd been in many of my classes) was probably in his 50s or 60s. He had a great sense of humor, which is why, when his name was called and he walked by to go get his diploma, I said out loud, "Way to go, old man!"

He chuckled and then pretended to stagger like he was using a cane, which got laughter out of everyone present.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I plan on going to medical school when my youngest son (who's 11 now) graduates from high school. I'll be around 44 years old. I already have a BS in math and biology with minors in chemistry and English lit and a MS in math/concentration statistics and probability theory, but with everything I've dealt with because of the boys' medical needs, I really want to study to become a radiologist, even if I'll be pushing 60 by the time I finish residency. You're never too old to go back to school.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Congrats...my mom was 43 when she got her degree. Then she got her teaching certificate at 53. You're never to old to go to school. In fact, sometimes I think older people are better equipped to deal with college.

As for him...screw him.

Comment

Guess the guy's never heard of non-traditional students.

Congrats!!
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Congrats! You ROCK!

My mom did the same thing and got a Bachelors in History at 43 and a Masters in Political Science at 49 - just for the hell of it.

And she had been pulled out of school at 13 back in 1943.

Oh yeah - to the older guy - a big FU!

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

*looks at his Jayhawk shirt* What? Couldn't get into a real school? :P

Of course, I'm kidding. Congratulations!!
                  I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth kansasgal View Post

I know I am not the oldest (I was in my college and program, but there were older people in the other colleges) and when people ask why I went back to school I tell them that learning never ends, and if you have the chance, grab it.
                    Pretty much this.

Most of my colleagues at uni are in their 30's or older-I'm actually the youngest out of the Masters special ed students.

One of the older guys there is in his late 40's and acts half his age at times. The funniest moment so far has been in a curriculum studies class. We were asked to imitate the "Wild things" scenario from Where The Wild Things are in groups, except that we couldn't use traditional instruments-tables, chairs, body that was IT.

His idea was to put his cycling helmet on, grab a chair, turn it upside down, bang the CHAIR on his head while making a gorilla face and noise. My group could not stop pissing themselves laughing
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      His idea was to put his cycling helmet on, grab a chair, turn it upside down, bang the CHAIR on his head while making a gorilla face and noise. My group could not stop pissing themselves laughing
                      Bad idea - he needs to be informed (quietly - don't embarrass him in front of the class) that his cycling helmet needs to be replaced. They're good for ONE impact, after which they may not provide proper protection. Dropped it on the garage floor? It's had its one impact. After repeatedly banging a chair on it, that helmet should no longer be trusted to protect him in the event of an accident.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Bad idea - he needs to be informed (quietly - don't embarrass him in front of the class) that his cycling helmet needs to be replaced. They're good for ONE impact, after which they may not provide proper protection. Dropped it on the garage floor? It's had its one impact. After repeatedly banging a chair on it, that helmet should no longer be trusted to protect him in the event of an accident.
                        Don't worry, he replaced it.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You're never too old to learn something new. Stupidity is thinking that one already knows everything and doesn't need to learn more.

I got my degree at 38. I had classmates who were older. Some were getting a first degree, some were just going back because they wanted to learn more, or wanted to get another degree.

or in other words he's a dumbass

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                            *looks at his Jayhawk shirt* What? Couldn't get into a real school? :P

Of course, I'm kidding. Congratulations!!
                            lol....of course, MY school has a great chant. Can you even tell me what a Rock Chalk is?
                            Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

There are large deposits of limestone near Lawrence and chalk uses limestone as its primary component. So, during the games, we shake the ground or "Rock Chalk"
                              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                                There are large deposits of limestone near Lawrence and chalk uses limestone as its primary component. So, during the games, we shake the ground or "Rock Chalk"
                                First time I have ever had a decent explanation from a KU grad as to what it was...it is clear that you were an exceptional scholar! (Either that or a frat boy who had to learn it during hell week..)
                                Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Working...
                                X