This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost run over in Tar-zhay

So on my way home tonight I stopped at Target to pick up a few things. I was heading down one of the main aisles at the back of the store (read: plenty wide enough for 2 carts to pass each other, and then some) and happened upon a group including several kids, a shopping cart, and an older lady in one of those motorized carts. They were blocking most of the aisle. And instead of moving over, they just keep coming, including Ms. Maria Andretti in her scooter. I only had a hand basket, but I had to lift it over the front of her scooter and turn and edge between her and one of the kids, who was plenty old enough to know to move out of the way. No "excuse mes" or "sorries" or nothing.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

If I come across someone blocking an aisle, and a polite "Excuse me" gets no response, then I have no problem with shouldering my way past, or pushing past them to get where I need to be. That's why I hate shopping at month end. The world and his wife is out grocery shopping, and of course they bump into their neighbours and just HAVE to have fat conversations RIGHT in front of whatever it is I need to get.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I had that in the grocery store last week. 3 women apparently parents and a teacher from the kids' school, all with carts, all right in front of the honey I was trying to get to. Took me a couple "excuse me"s before they heard me. As for Maria Andretti and her grandkids in Target, good thing I'm quick and (fairly) skinny

Comment

Makes you wish you could command the kind of respect Fezzik (Andre the Giant) did in The Princess Bride and have people scoot out of your way after you emit a hearty bellow of "Everybody MOOOVE!"
        Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
        - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Sometimes you have to let your outdoor voice chime "MOVE!", especially when there is a herd of elderly people blocking the milk coolers, and 90% of that herd appears be asleep/unconscious.

Yes, it has happened. Swear to gord, some "good Samaritan" helped an entire retirement home escape and took them to WalMart. Each old person had one cart (but only one can of soup or catfood in the cart, lol). The good Samaritan was nowhere to be seen, but I shit you all not, there was a heard of more than 10 old people blocking the milk coolers at WalMart once. They were all staring/drooling, too, and nearly all of them seemed to be asleep and staring into space.

I wanted to scream at them to move, but then I figured I'd be attacked by one of their kids/grandkids soon enough later on in life, so I just went without any milk that day.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth ForestDragon View Post
            Makes you wish you could command the kind of respect Fezzik (Andre the Giant) did in The Princess Bride and have people scoot out of your way after you emit a hearty bellow of "Everybody MOOOVE!"
            I've done it. Been doing it since high school when people just had to cram themselves into the lobby to "chat". Got to the point I would grab a small friend and push him in front of me so we could make a path. (He always laughed).

The key is only to use it when being nice won't work.

Comment

Quoth ForestDragon View Post
              Wish I could have done that last time I worked when John Edward was doing a reading/signing in Store1. Place was absolutely packed and the cops had a lineup outside the door because we were way over capacity already. I had to wade through the throng to get to the breakroom for dinner, waving my nametag above my head and yelling Excuse Me!! They all just wanted me to ask them to turn the volume on the microphone up. Like I was gonna be able to get back to the event space...

(sorry, a little OT)

Comment

Kinda sorta off topic, I have nearly been run over by people in electric wheelchairs numerous times. They just came speeding up behind me or just in front of me, and if I didn't have that split second to react, I would've become a passenger.

Some of the people in those electric wheelchairs need to be a little more considerate. I know it's a harsh thing to say because they didn't ask to be confined to wheelchairs, but the wheelchairs go faster than people can walk, and they're virtually noiseless, so people often don't know they're coming.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Kinda sorta off topic, I have nearly been run over by people in electric wheelchairs numerous times. They just came speeding up behind me or just in front of me, and if I didn't have that split second to react, I would've become a passenger.

Some of the people in those electric wheelchairs need to be a little more considerate. I know it's a harsh thing to say because they didn't ask to be confined to wheelchairs, but the wheelchairs go faster than people can walk, and they're virtually noiseless, so people often don't know they're coming.
                  And on the other side of the equation, you have those who REFUSE to move and just stand there and chatter away, even though you're blowing the horn and saying "Excuse ME" several times.

That scenario happened to me once at the WM when I went to fetch a motorized cart for my mom (b/c there were none available on the side that we came in at.) I had to go all the way to the other entrance and ride the cart all the way across the front end to get it to her.

A couple (man and woman) were right in the MIDDLE of the aisle, I had no room to get around on either side of them. Just standing there chatting away. I said "Excuse Me" three times, no reply.

So, I broke out my deep Drill Seargeant voice and barked "EXCUSE ME!!!!" Couple jumped three feet - at least and looked at me like I had just stabbed their dog and run over the remains.

I smiled sweetly and said "Thank You" as I went on my merry way after they finally moved.

Aren't I a stinker sometimes?
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    If it wouldn't get anyone hurt I'd say let 'em scoop you up onto their hood...guess it depends on the type of scooter they have.

DGoddess - that's great

Comment

Yesterday I had to run to Costco to pick up a birthday cake and a thing of strawberries. It took forever to navigate the store, and on my way out, I had to wait while a group of people blocked off the entire exit with their carts so they could stop and chat. I love Costco, but sometimes it's just not worth the headache.
                      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                        Yesterday I had to run to Costco to pick up a birthday cake and a thing of strawberries. It took forever to navigate the store, and on my way out, I had to wait while a group of people blocked off the entire exit with their carts so they could stop and chat. I love Costco, but sometimes it's just not worth the headache.
                        Sorta OT but you reminded me of this: My mom and I went to Sam's one night and we left about 10 minutes before they closed. It was absolutely POURING, build-me-an-ark raining outside, and everyone was jammed in the vestibule (with those oversized shopping carts) while spouses ran for cars, or just hoping it would let up a bit (one couple had a toddler in the seat of the cart and a few-months-old baby in a carrier), while the poor employees were trying to get everyone out of the store, and the people who were willing to brave the rain just couldn't get through. The door guy was offering to lend his umbrella if people promised to drive back up and return it (don't think anyone took him up on it, though).

Comment

I hate the damn lollygagers or the people who insist on stopping in the middle of the isle right in front of you. But the worse are the people who stop in the middle (bonus points if its a "big intersection are high traffic are") to talk or meditate. My policy is to say politly "excuse me" twice, the third time its a very gruff excuse me at a much higher volume, 4th time its "can I get thru here" a little ruder, 5th time is just a "will you fucking get out my way" (it very rarely ever gets to the 5th time though). I also have no problem working my way thru a crowd, if you stand in my way or if your herd of 20 chickabeasts has to walk abreast and won't move so a single person can get by, then you bet I will steamroll my way thru the dumbness.

Hmmm maybe this is why the wife doesn't let me out in public very often.
                          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
                          X