This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunate dining experience for my parents

This happened to my parents a couple nights ago.

There is an upscale steakhouse in their area that they have been going to for well over 50 years, since they were young kids going with their parents. The restaurant serves steaks as well as other items cooked over a woodfire grill, such as fish, chicken, and porkchops. The food is normally consistently good to excellent. There have been a few times that they, and I, have been that the food was not quite up to par; the fish being overcooked, the steaks overly fatty/gamey, but we have chalked those times up to just being an off-night. My family has gone to this restaurant so many times that we are bound to catch them on an off-night at one point or another, and even then the food is still decent, just not excellent like it normally is.

As I mentioned, my family (from my grandparents to me and my siblings and their own kids) have been going to this restaurant for 50+ years so we are familiar with the owners and they with us. I wouldn't say we're friendly with them, but we recognize them and they recognize us and always welcome us back as repeat customers when they see us come in. The other night was no exception for my parents; the owner's daughter (or perhaps she is the owner now, as we haven't seen her father at the restaurant lately and she seems to be running things) greeted and seated my parents personally.

Unfortunately, the food was not good. In fact, it was downright bad. My dad had the fish, which is probably the most common item that my family as a whole orders. It is one of their most consistent items as it's almost always good if not amazing. My dad's fish tasted "off." It had a very strong "fishy" taste to it (and being a mild whitefish, it should not have a strong flavor) and seemed tough/overdone. My mom ordered the chicken, which was even worse. The chicken entree is a grilled half chicken, and when my mom cut into her's, it was clearly underdone, being pink in the middle of the breast and thigh. When she pointed this out to their server, the waitress snottily said, "Well, all our chicken is par-boiled before going on the grill so it can't be underdone." My mom insisted it was, showing the waitress the pink in the middle, so the waitress took her plate and told her they'd put it back on the grill.

15 minutes later, my mom got a blackened charred piece of meat. The waitress set it down in front of her and sweetly said, "I hope this is done enough for you now!" before flouncing away. My mom tried it and it also had an "off" taste to it, like it was an old piece of meat (besides being overdone to death at this point.)

When their server returned, neither of them had eaten much of their food and they informed her that the food was off tonight. They had both had the same entree in the past so knew what it tasted like, and what they got was not it. The server offered no apology, but said, "I'll see what I can do for you." She returned a few minutes later and said that Vanessa (the owner/owner's daughter who had seated my parents) would give them a discount on their bill. My parents weren't fishing for a discount, they just wanted the staff to know that the food wasn't up to par tonight. Meanwhile, Vanessa had been walking the floor of the dining room checking on other tables and chatting with other regulars, but she never stopped to check on my parents, even after she was informed by the server that their were displeased with their meals.

In the end, my parents each got $2 off their entrees (and keep in mind, these are $25-30 entrees) and no apology from anyone. The server acted offended that they dare complain, and the cook (who is in full view of the dining room, as the wood grill is located against the back wall of the main dining room) kept shooting them nasty looks. It would have been one thing if the food had just been off, but between that and the abysmal treatment they received from the staff, they said it would be a long time before they return.

Sounds like you may be right about the change of ownership - even if it is within the same family, it seems obvious that the restaurant is now working under different policies.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

The question is, did the server REALLY go to the daughter/owner?

Comment

I would refuse to eat there again. They obviously do not care about their customers. Shop (or eat) with your feet and find a place that cares about your experience.
        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Only $2 off? I would have returned the food and demanded a full comp. I would definitely write this place off and post negative reviews everywhere possible. Also, get in touch with the father and let him know what's going on, he may be unaware and need to step in to save his reputation.

Comment

I suspect that the server added a few words that you didn't actually say to the cook, at the very least...

I also doubt that she talked to the owner. Either that, or the new owner thinks that they "know everything about the business" and are above reproach, like a certain other restaurant runner that has been in the news as of late...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like an episode of Kitchen Nightmares in the making.
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Also, get in touch with the father and let him know what's going on, he may be unaware and need to step in to save his reputation.
                I agree that a letter to the owner would be in order here, for this reason. Every place has an off night, but this was beyond "off". The food was deliberately burnt, the waitress was rude, the whole thing was just wrong. And unless the owner is told that something is wrong, he may not know it and won't take steps to correct it.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Your parents really should send a letter. Not doing so would be a disservice to your family and to the restaurant. Places do change, sometimes they will never be the same but if you don't at least let the owner know what the problem is there is definitely no chance of it being corrected.

I used to like going to Outback. Their sirloin steak special was high quality meat at a reasonable price for the portion. Then the economy tanked and over a year I noticed the price increased, the portion size was reduced and the quality of the meat dropped. Any one of those (well, really either of the first two) I probably could have dealt with but all three made Outback a place I USED to like eating at (I did send a letter but with a corp restaurant that size I don't expect it really did anything).

There was a private restaurant that had a great entree, Apple Chicken. An almond encrusted grilled chicken breast with cheddar cheese, baked apple slices and an apple reduction sauce. One day I ordered it and it was just off. All the ingredients were there but not in the same proportion and cooked differently (example: the apples had previously been sliced evenly and cooked so they were soft but not mushy, this time the apple slices had been cut into wedges. The thick end wasn't cooked through and the narrow wedge end was dissolving).

A manager wound up sitting at our table for about ten to fifteen minutes and I went over everything that seemed off point by point (it helped that I liked this dish so much I had reverse engineered it and could make it at home). In the end she comped the dish, explained that the long time cook had quit suddenly and while the new chef had a lot of experience all he had to work with were recipes as no one there could actually show him how the dish was supposed to be when finished. She said she would let him know what I had said and the next time I went the Apple Chicken was back to being as good as it ever was.
                  You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I have encouraged my parents to send a letter but I'm not sure if they will. They are the kind of people who love to complain about stuff but will never put any effort into trying to make the situation better. They are like this in all things, not just restaurants. So, I will mention it to them again since even if Vanessa is the current owner, I think a written complaint is usually taken more seriously than a verbal one in-house.

Comment

Working...
                    X