This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When on hold...

I'm curious. Tech support/call center employees: can you still hear what your caller is saying when you put him/her on hold?

I was waiting by the bus stop today. A guy called his cell phone provider, answered some standard questions, then when presumably put on hold, he said "B**ch". Claimed she was being rude. I dunno, but when someone controls your account, I can't imagine you'd want to insult him/her before you're through with what you want.

Heh
    No good news is good bad news

I don't know about everyone else but when I worked in a call center and I put someone on hold I could still hear everything they were saying. Basically I put them on hold so I could talk to my supervisor if I had a question or they were being a pain. It was kind of interesting hearing what other people had to say while on hold. Mostly they were complaining that I put them on hold.

Comment

Depends on if I actually put them on hold or just mute the phone.

When I put someone on hold so that I can transfer them or use another line to make a call, I can't hear them anymore.

When I put my phone on mute to talk to someone near me/give myself a second to cough/breathe/think, I can still hear the idiot on the other end.

The thing I get most often is people chattering before they realize I've picked up the phone, which is especially charming if they're on a rant and cussing before I've even had the chance to talk to them.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

When I put someone on hold I can't hear them but my favorite thing is when the morons don't hang up and prattle away about any number of things. Sometimes I stay on the line for a minute just to hear what they're staying. I've been called names of course my all time favorites are when the caller proceeded to discuss an illegal drug transaction with someone else in the room and the old (they sounded 80ish) couple who'd called to order a natural supplement for erections and went on and on (oh glory be!) about how great it was gonna be to do the horizontal mamba again after all these years!

Comment

normally, the best way you can tell if they can hear you or not is if you hear the dreaded hold music. If you hear that, they can't hear you.

Comment

a few weeks,i was calling about my sons medical bill, when she put me on hold to pull up the account. i don't remember exactly what, but my brother said something about holding. i thought of a post somebody hre made about customera calling and then putting you on hold. i was telling my mom about it, and saying how rude it is, when the lady got on the phone and said VERY nicely,"oh, you can put me on hold! im still here im just looking up the account." i immidiately apologized, and explained i had no intention of doing that, i wasd just mentioning i think it is rude for that to happen.

i was embarrased. even more so, because before being put on hold, i had said something dumb. before talking about putting them on hold.i was saying how stupid i am, and how ,uch she is going to hate me and stuff...i was embarrased but at least she was friendly about it, and laughed about it.

Comment

Quoth Ljt09863 View Post
              a few weeks,i was calling about my sons medical bill,
              OT, but is that your son in your avatar? Too adorable
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X