This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired, then fired

This is a CoC sighting, courtesy of Hubs. Hubs works for a security company that does several sites in the region.

The way their scheduling works is that you call an automated phone system to check and confirm your work schedule. The schedule for the upcoming week is posted on Wednesdays and must be confirmed by the end of the day on Friday.

They had a new hire, and trained her out at Hubby's site for a few days. The site supervisor asked her if she had any questions at the end of the training, and she said no.

Friday passed without her confirming her schedule for the upcoming week, so the Big Bossman called her. Something approximate to the following occurred:

BB: "You didn't call to confirm you schedule. Did [Site Supervisor] let you know you needed to do that?"
    SCW: "Yeah."
    BB: "So...why didn't you?"
    SCW: "Well, if I was on the schedule, you were supposed to call."
    BB: *eye twitch* "No, that's not how we do things. You call in to check your schedule and to confirm it."
    SCW: "No, you need to call me with my schedule."
    BB: *rising blood pressure* "You won't have to worry about that anymore. Turn in your uniform. You're done."

If you can't even follow simple directions and try to boss your new employer around, you're not going to be employed much longer.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

What the hell? Ok, even with all of the self-entitled customers we've been informed of here over the years, I have to think this takes it to a new level. Ordering your boss around on a job that you JUST got? What the were you thinking?

Probably something like "I like cheese."

I bet she's just as entitled as a customer as she is as a (now former) employee....
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      What the hell? Ok, even with all of the self-entitled customers we've been informed of here over the years, I have to think this takes it to a new level. Ordering your boss around on a job that you JUST got? What the were you thinking?

Probably something like "I like cheese."

I bet she's just as entitled as a customer as she is as a (now former) employee....
      I'm thinking someone didn't actually want a job. I'm absolutely certain that the security company is better off without her.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

This is a CoC sighting
        Off topic side note but that made me giggle... mainly because one of my other sites uses "COC" to mean "code of conduct". so my first thought was "code of conduct sighting... ohh, no wrong site!"

but wow. not even the first day on the job and already acting like an entitled shit? guess she didn't really want the job eh?

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          SCW: "No, you need to call me with my schedule."
          HA! hahahahahhahaha....... lol, hehehehe.....

Oh. Wait. She's not kidding. Hope she gets a proper dressing down....

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          BB: "You won't have to worry about that anymore. Turn in your uniform.
          That went better than expected!

Seriously, wish we all had bosses like this. I'm all for cutting humans slack, but it goes too far sometimes, especially when it could have been nipped in the bud (like here) and then we have ourselves a forum full of CoC.

Comment

Wow, that's just... wow. Granted, I'm the paranoid type that will check a posted schedule constantly even when it's been constant for months, but still. It's the boss's job to call all his employees and let them know their hours? That's a pretty impressive level of entitlement.

Comment

I think they dodged a serious bullet there. Imagine how she'd be for the rest of the job!
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

As Hubs said, the only one who is allowed to tell Big Bossman what to do is his wife. Big Bossman is a good boss if you are on his good side (he recently gave Hubs a 75-cent-an-hour raise just for the asking), but he's a tough cookie and does not take well to BS.

They already have her replacement. They hired an intern who's going to [local charter college].
                Hubs had this particular intern shadow him on a shift and thinks he's pretty good.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Got my good hand torn up pretty bad a few years back and missed almost a week of work. As a result I was in on a Saturday trying to play catch-up (one finger poking at the keyboard!).

I answer the phone thinking it might be my wife (my company isn't open on weekends and we don't sell to the general public in any case). It's a guy who filled out an app for our shop. I tell him to call "shop manager* on Monday to check on his application. He wants me to take a message. I tell him to call on Monday. He insists he wants to leave a message. I explain we are closed, only one here, hand in sling and can't write. He insists he wants to leave a message because it will show he really wants the job.

Back and forth several times and I finally get pissed and agree to take a message. I get his name, number and the date that he applied and promise to drop it on *shop managers* desk. After I get off the phone I add in big shaky block letters, "DO NOT HIRE! CAN NOT FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS!"
                  You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                    It's the boss's job to call all his employees and let them know their hours? That's a pretty impressive level of entitlement.
                    Under VERY limited circumstances, it's legitimately the boss's job to do that. What are the circumstances?

- Schedule is distributed by posting it at the work site. Let's assume posting time is Friday at noon.
                    - New schedule is posted before an employee's last shift on the old schedule. Let's assume they have a Friday afternoon shift, so they can check the schedule before they go home.
                    - Schedule is changed AFTER employee's last shift on the old schedule, but BEFORE their first shift on the originally-posted new schedule, assigning them an earlier shift. Let's assume the originally-posted new schedule has the employee's next shift on Wednesday. Monday morning, the schedule is changed to give them a Tuesday shift.

Why is this the boss's job? Because an employee exercising normal due diligence would have seen on Friday afternoon that they aren't expected in until Wednesday, and it would not be reasonable to expect them to keep dropping in at the work site on their days off in order to see if the schedule has been changed. Since the boss now needs them to come in BEFORE the first time they would have an opportunity to see the changed schedule, he needs to let them know about the change.

Note that if the employee's last shift on the old schedule had been Thursday, they could reasonably be expected to come in ONCE to check the schedule, since it would not yet have been posted when they went home.

In the OP case, the employee had been told that the normal method of distributing the schedule is for the employee to call between specified times (schedule "posting" on Wednesday, and deadline of Friday - presumably because it covers Saturday to Friday, and they might have a Saturday shift), it is NOT the boss's responsibility to call the employee with their shift times.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Reminds me of someone I used to work with. She knew everything. Really, everything. She would do an assignment and not change anything, because it was perfect. When someone else went over it, many errors were found.

I remember the time she insisted that peanut butter had oil added to it, because, you see, she had SEEN peanut butter with oil floating on top. We all told her that it was simply the oil from the peanuts, but she refused to believe it. She had seen the oil. That was enough to prove that it had been added.

Finally, one of my coworkers got a jar of peanut butter and read the ingredients. She then realized that she was wrong, but never showed even the slightest trace of embarrassment.

As another coworker said to me, "I'd hate to be her boyfriend."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Under VERY limited circumstances, it's legitimately the boss's job to do that.

-snip-
                        Under the circumstances you described, this very thing happened to me at the wholesale club once. The schedule for the upcoming week had NOT been posted before the end of the shift on Saturday. (Workweek there was Sun thru Sat.) This meant it was 10:30PM Saturday evening, and they hadn't finished the schedule. Many employees, including Yours Truly, were pissed off about it. As my schedule was prone to changing from week to week at that time (later on, my schedule got much more regular), I angrily declared to the closing manager, "I'm not coming in tomorrow if they end up scheduling me. This is ridiculous." Said manager did not comment.

Got home, folks were still up, told them about what had happened. Told them, "If [store] calls tomorrow, I'm not going in. After all, how was I to know I was scheduled? Far as they know, I made plans as if I wasn't." They agreed to back me up. Sure enough, the next day, I got a call from [store]. As it happened, it was Ol' Scarface Herself who was calling, asking why I wasn't there.

J2K: "How was I supposed to know I was on the schedule, when it hadn't been posted by the time I left last night?"
                        Herself: "Everyone was supposed to call in to get their schedule--"
                        J2K: "That seems awfully inconvenient for you guys, to have to answer the phone for dozens of people all day."
                        Herself: "Well, you're scheduled from--"
                        J2K: "No."
                        Herself: "Excuse me?"
                        J2K: "I didn't know I was scheduled, so I made plans for today. I'm not coming in."
                        Herself: "...let me get [manager]."

She put me on hold. I hung up. I told my folks, "If [store] calls again, I'm not here." Sure enough, they called back, Mom said I was out, and refused to give them my cell phone number. (Truth be told, the store HAD my cell phone number, but they never called me on it. Not my problem.)

I had to face the music the next day, when I called, got a different supervisor than Herself, and got my schedule. I did have to talk to the manager about my NCNS the day before, but I refused to apologize for it. It had been the store's screw-up, not mine. Since I carried on working there for another five years or so, I'd say it didn't affect my standing much.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                        X