This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursed Trip (a GWC sighting)

This is a GWC sighting from a BFF. BFF is a Girl Scout troop leader. This summer she took her girls (almost 20 of them, half her troop) down to Yosemite on an 11 day trip. They had 1 pickup with a trailer for hauling gear and 2 large vans.

Day 1 - the pick-up gets a flat.

Day 3 - one of the vans (a 2013 model) breaks down in Medford. They drop it off for repairs and trade it in for 2 more minivans.

Day 9 - they get a flat tire and shattered windshield on the other van and traded in the two minivans for the repaired van on the way back up.

The rest of the time - more broken tent poles and zippers than BFF cared to count.

It sounds like the girls still had loads of fun. I fear my BFF has lost whatever shreds of sanity she was still clinging to, though. (She didn't have much to start with.)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Cursed? Sounds normal to me...

Oh, wait. I know what's missing. It wasn't raining! So they weren't really camping yet
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Leader's underwear flown from flagpole... with leader in them.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If no one got eaten by a bear it was a good trip.

Heck, you didn't even mention being raided by racoons!
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

Wow, I think.. renting a bus might have been easier to deal with. But knowing their luck, it would have decided to make friends with the local scenery. Sheesh.

And it makes me doubly glad that when I was a den leader, the BSA had restrictions about parents having to come along on camping trips with the boys. Yup, that meant no need for mass hauling, because parents want to arrive when they want to arrive, schedules be damned.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            ... when they want to arrive, schedules be damned.
            Procedure:
            1. Catch cub.
            2. Start packing gear.
            3. Catch cub.
            4. Pack more gear.
            5. Re-catch cub.
            6. Stuff cub into sleeping bag and tie rope around top to prevent any more escapes.
            7. Pack more gear.
            8. Appease Mama Bear!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We had cabins when we went to Girl Scout camp. However, there was one incident where two gentlemen decided to use the lake (which we unfortunately set up camp right next to) as their personal duck hunting ground. Yeah, imagine a bunch of nine year old girl sitting, laughing their asses off while you and your buddy just failed at a high speed motor boat chase with the camp owner and cops. Then cheering as you are hauled away.

Good times.
              Last edited by Eevie; 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                If no one got eaten by a bear it was a good trip.
                Hell, this year in ABQ you don't need to even leave home, the bears come to you! Last couple of weeks, it's been an almost daily feature on the local news that there's another bear that's come down from the mountains looking for food. It's bad this year.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  Hell, this year in ABQ you don't need to even leave home, the bears come to you! Last couple of weeks, it's been an almost daily feature on the local news that there's another bear that's come down from the mountains looking for food. It's bad this year.
                  We've had a few bear sightnings here in Greensboro this summer. For about a month (either around May or June) we were seeing reports on the news about cub sightings.

Amazing how the bears get headlines but deer doesn't.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                  X