This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have to turn on the SC "charm"...sorta

No, I don't plan on being rude, but I'm annoyed about something and I'm trying to decide if I should contact someone about it.

I am 28. I look somewhere around 23-24 at the most. When I go to job fairs, the people there usually greet me with a, "Congratulations on graduating!" so I know they think I'm 22. When I go to the store to get supplies for work, the salesperson has said nearly every time, "I know what it's like being a first year and not knowing what to buy, so let me know if you need help." When being introduced to people by my sister, even this last week, they always assume I'm my other sister, who's 24, because there's no way I've been in my career for 7 years. At bars, I will be walking in with a group and I'm the only one they ID, regularly. It's become a game amongst my friends. When I go to various services, they ask me my major.

So, when I got to the grocery store, and there are signs posted that say that they ID anyone who looks under 30, why don't I get IDed? The register even pops up with the question, "Does this person appear to be over 30?" and you click yes without so much acknowledging me. At first I thought it was because I would get my ID out and they would assume that if I was underaged, I wouldn't have been ready, so I stopped pulling it out ahead of time. Now I'm just never, ever IDed. And it's a different cashier every time, so it's not that they recognize me.

I'm thinking of calling management and saying, "I'm saying this not as a complaint, but to assist you so that you don't lose the ability to sale alcohol and you don't get fined. Your cashiers need a better idea of what 30 looks like." What do you think?

Me a week ago. Hopefully the picture works.
    Last edited by TexasT; 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: Decided to add picture.

I think it's very nice of you to give your local shop a heads-up. Since it's EVERYone of the cashiers, and it's not a recognition thing, they probably just need a reminder.

Comment

PHHFFFTT! Lucky! I would love to have people still mistake me for a freshman. Wait until you're 30 then maybe people won't mistake you for being much younger

Comment

I still have people asking me if I'm "even old enough to work here" at my job. When they realize I'm the night boss they nearly poop their pants.

I would be really concerned if someone had to look older than 30 for something and they didn't ID me. Maybe you should tell someone.

Comment

Can't say for sure, can't see the picture that you added?

But, if you look significantly younger than you are, get used to being carded all the time. I'm going to be 44 () soon and I still get carded on a regular basis. Last time was Saturday before last when we went out for a friend's birthday. Funny thing was, her daughter, who is 13 years younger than me....didn't.

And I would call up the store and let them know that their cashiers aren't following policy. Seriously, it's just easier to card everyone, regardless of how old they look.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I can't see the photo myself but... determining if someone looks "under 30" may also depend on how old they are, and how skilled they are as well.

Back at my old apt in NY there was an alcohol store down the road from me and... whether or not they carded me pretty much depended on who was running the register. At the time I was between 36 and 38 or so.

Older man: I'm sorry but do you happen to have your ID on you?
            Me: (cos I always took that as a compliment)

Younger man: Your total is <whatever>. Thanks. Have a nice day.

After the younger man didn't card me I realized what it likely was. When I see people younger than myself I tend to under-estimate their ages. The older I get the younger I assume they are. I think that's why the older man always carded me. Plus ... I've never been skilled at judging ages to begin with.

Likewise the younger man was also younger than me... so he pretty much knew I was old enough to buy alcohol whether or not I looked like I was under 30.

Comment

I find that I get carded only by the younger workers. Im 30 and the other day, a girl who looked like she was about 16 (I know she wasnt), scanned my ID card and had me sign a a receipt prior to pruchase that stated I had given them a legitimate ID and all the information on it was true. I havent seen one of those things for approximately 8 years. I actually got upset for 2.5 seconds ( I cant honestly say why) but then signed the receipt and paid and left....i really wanted my tequila.

Back to the OP, if it truly bothers you, I agree with the other person who said just call the store and let them know they aren't following the rules. Its such a subjective rule though, maybe some people really think you look older.

Comment

I remember reading one story here where one of the posters failed a "secret shop" by not carding. IIRC though, the poster remembered the customer and said "She looked like she was 40!"

The only other option I can think of is... what the grocery store from back home does: 100% carding. Mom's over 70 and still gets carded.

Comment

FINALLY got the picture to work...whew!

Comment

I, too, look pretty damn young. I frequently get asked what I'm studying in school (college town--they assume I'm doing work-study). I'm 27. Okay, 28 in 3 weeks.

Anyway, the thing I've noticed is that the actual young-uns, like those college kids and early-20-somethings NEVER card me. I suspect it's because they can tell. They have good older-than-me-don't-bother radar or something. Hmm, just read through all the responses & sounds like the opposite of Amina516 . . . .

My theory could also be utter bs and the younglings don't card because they're poorly trained, but I've noticed this pretty much across the board--grocery store, liquor store, restaurant, bar.
                    Last edited by camjuniper; 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I always get carded, but then again I'm 25 and look 10 years younger...
                      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

32 and 11 months here, and I always get carded.

I look goooooooood for my age.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

37 and just got accused of having a fake ID while trying to purchase cigarettes yesterday. I was using my passport for ID, as my license was in my car, but the damn thing scanned, so why was she claiming it was fake???

At any rate, I would say something to the management, as it seems like it's a store wide enforcement problem.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I get this all the time. It's almost like a stupid mind game for some people. When I don't have it ready I get "can I see some ID?" Then they look at it forever. Even after they scan it to verify some still can't believe it. When I do have it ready they act like I'm trying to give them a hot potato. Or they act like they know I'm old enough. I know they're doing that for the reason OP said. It's the willingness to show it and being ready, in their mind someone underage wouldn't be so willing. I don't look my age either. I'm 35 but look like I'm in my early 20's. It's an obnoxious catch 22, just take the damn ID and stop playing mind games is what I believe.

Comment

I get carded all the time and I'm 52. Of course, the card they ask for is my AARP card. :-)
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X