This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth bunrotha View Post
    Supermarkets in the UK have to give not just price but price per unit weight/volume I believe (anyone know for sure?) so it's easy to compare, but only when the two packs are in the same shop.
    That's correct. They have (in very tiny writing) the price per kilo or gram (if sold by weight, as appropriate) or the price per item (e.g. if it's a box of 40 dishwasher tablets as opposed to a box of 20).

It is worth having a quick glance, as sometimes due to offers it actually works out cheaper to get several of the smaller packs, rather than one of the larger packs.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      It is worth having a quick glance, as sometimes due to offers it actually works out cheaper to get several of the smaller packs, rather than one of the larger packs.
      Which drives some people batty. I have a app on my phone that handles the different weights and prices to tell me what the best deal is.

Comment

In high school, during Home Ec, I was taught out to figure out the unit price and how to compare it, even though I suck at math. I was ever so glad when an app came out for that!

But nowadays, I'm pretty sure that most people don't realize that they can get the best deal by looking at the price per unit vs just buying the least expensive.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          But nowadays, I'm pretty sure that most people don't realize that they can get the best deal by looking at the price per unit vs just buying the least expensive.
          A lot of the grocery stores now do the math for you and put it on the shelf tag. This doesn't always help, because sometimes they use different base units for similar items. {paper products are notorious for this - toilet paper is sometimes unit priced by square foot (anyone seen a square foot square of TP?) and other times by sheets (or multiple of sheets, actually because who gives a sheet what one sheet costs?)} And if the item is on sale, they don't always have the unit price on the sale tag.

I'm also tired of the shrink ray because I have recipes that call for "one can" of this or that, and the cans aren't the same size as when the recipe was made. I have a corn pudding recipe I only make once or twice a year, and I never think to try to figure out what original size can it wanted, versus what size I can get now. I think in the late 80s, when I clipped the recipe, canned vegs were typically 1.1 pounds. Now they are maybe 13 ounces? Ugh.
          Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
          At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            That's correct. They have (in very tiny writing) the price per kilo or gram (if sold by weight, as appropriate) or the price per item (e.g. if it's a box of 40 dishwasher tablets as opposed to a box of 20).

It's one of the European Union laws I actually like! The companies on the other hand aren't too fond of it.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
              I'm also tired of the shrink ray because I have recipes that call for "one can" of this or that,
              That's what I was alluding to previously, but I'd forgotten the 'can' recipes. Heck, some of 'em even say "16oz can" in the recipe, but you won't find 'em on the shelf anymore; it's 14.5 or what not. Not too important for the spanish rice, but I bet it is for your pudding. (And if not yet, it will be in a few years. )

Comment

Working...
              X