Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I've learned the hard way, is not to use cell phones to call 911. It's not that they can't find you, but apparently depending on what cell tower the call goes into, depends on where the call ends up. My worst incident was calling it, only to find myself talking to a 911 dispatcher in Atlanta when I was over 200 miles away.

Never quite figured that one out.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
      Something I've learned the hard way, is not to use cell phones to call 911.
      I hate using my cell to phone 911 for a different reason. Did you know that you can't make ANY outgoing calls until they phone you back or the issue is resolved? At least in Ottawa you can't. They disable your phone so that if the police need further clarification or what have you, only they can get through to you. Bloody annoying. See if I ever report a truck on fire by the side of the road again. (btw, that was me being snarky, of course I would - but I don't have a cell phone anymore LOL)
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

down here, we have something called *GSP, or Star GSP. Ideally, you dial that number and get a direct line to the nearest Georgia State Patrol dispatcher.

Note, I said Ideally.

Several years back, I had to dial that number to report a drunk driver (the system is supposed to work where you call the dispatcher, and give details of the vehicle and what not; and then he sends a car out along the route you're on to check.) who had swerved so far off the right of the road that he obliterated several mailboxes.

(side note: Did you know that if you hit a mailbox at sixty miles per hour, your average junk letter will fly about eighty feet straight up?)

The first dispatcher was in Savannah, but it wasn't part of his area. So he transferred me. The second one was in Valdosta, some 300 miles away. The third one was in Statesboro, but he couldn't help since it wasn't his area.

After playing phone tag for a good six or seven times, I told them to forget it. I hung up, called 411 (information) got the GSP's local number and called them that way.
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
        X