Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your internet is going slow, you can log onto your router and look at what devices are logged on to it

Comment

On many routers (or, more precisely, access points), you can look at the list of associated nodes by MAC address. The MAC address is supposed to be unique to the hardware.

So what you do is write down all of the MAC addresses of wireless devices that you own, and compare it to that list. If there's a node which *isn't* in your list, it evidently belongs to someone else.

Related to this, on many access points you can restrict access to your known list of MAC addresses. This should be used together with encryption as normal. Disadvantage: if someone comes to visit, you'll need to add their MAC address to the list before they can use it.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        <Suzuran> This idiot called the cops after his drug dealer robbed him
        <Suzuran> He called the cops because his drug dealer sold him $20 worth of drugs for $50
        <Suzuran> So of course the cops just arrested everyone involved for drugs
        <Suzuran> And he skipped out
        <Suzuran> So yeah, he's not very smart.
        There's a form of fatalism (most commonly associated with Islam) that basically says that anything God doesn't want to happen won't -- and if God wants it to happen, it will happen no matter what.

I've run into it on the secular side a few times -- if it's physically possible to do something then it can't be illegal because if it were illegal you wouldn't be able to do it. Sounds like your neighbor has thought processes along those lines...

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
          If your internet is going slow, you can log onto your router and look at what devices are logged on to it
          So, yeah - excuse my ignorance but how exactly do you do that? I know my router is secure, but I'd love to be able to double check.

Comment

Some routers, like mine, have a program you can download to look at who/what is connecting to your signal. Mine also lets me tell the router what is connected so that it can handle traffic better. Like my PS3 gets more traffic allowance then my printer.

Comment

If you go to the router it should have a sticker on it with a "admin" login. Log into that IP and with that password. (normally 192.xxx.xxx.xx or something). Go to network connections when the router screen comes up.

There should be a list of devices there. If you click on each once you may be able to rename it - I have with ours. Either switch on devices one by one and check which are active at that time or see if you can find out the MAC addresses from the devices themselves. Don't forget it may not just be your PCs and phones - it may be the Consoles and TV Equipment as well.
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Hence why my WiFi is password protected.

Comment

I found out on Friday that the network at my brother's business is "Get your own network". Reminded me of this thread.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I found out on Friday that the network at my brother's business is "Get your own network". Reminded me of this thread.
                    My boyfriend named his mothers "use this one mum"
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My Dad has his listed as "FBI listening post." I thought about renaming mine to, "404 Wi-Fi not found."
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Hmm, I've got a spare wireless router at the moment. Maybe I should set it up without a password, but not hook it up to a network. The thought of a bandwidth thief getting good signal, but no access to the internet is entertaining, for some reason.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

In second year of uni our wireless, set up by my housemates, was called Hermes. When we moved into a flat over the road for third year, I asked one which Greek god/dess we should use this time. He answered 'Greek god? Naah we used Futurama characters.'

Quoth me 'oh we'll use Zoidberg then.'
                          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            The thought of a bandwidth thief getting good signal, but no access to the internet is entertaining, for some reason.
                            ...That's BRILLIANT. I love it!

Make the network name "PRIVATE WIFI", so only a real thief would try to connect through it.
                            Last edited by TheSHAD0W; 02-05-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                              My Dad has his listed as "FBI listening post." I thought about renaming mine to, "404 Wi-Fi not found."
                              Or name it "┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐" and see if they freak out. (It's a Doctor Who reference!)
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                                Hmm, I've got a spare wireless router at the moment. Maybe I should set it up without a password, but not hook it up to a network. The thought of a bandwidth thief getting good signal, but no access to the internet is entertaining, for some reason.
                                If you want to really f**k with them, hook up a computer on that router as the gateway. Set up this computer to answer any and all web requests with a random web page.

The victim will have no idea what's going on.
                                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                                X