This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wrong # call I've ever gotten

Got a call tonight, came in on the generic # for our call center (when we dial out, it shows on Call ID as a generic call out #. If you call that # back, you get sent to any agent who is available in the call center. This leads to *lots* of wrong numbers.)

Our Cast:
    Me: Hi!
    CW: Confused Woman

Me: Thank you for...
    CW: (cuts me off, mid-greeting) Is John Aslejtajeowtjaoiwej there?
    Me: I'm sorry?
    CW: Is John Aslejtajeowtjaoiwej there?
    Me: Ma'am, I'm...
    CW: Are you his wife?
    Me: No! Ma'am, you've reached the *my company* System Support Center. I don't know anyone here by that name. I'm sorry.
    CW: Oh, ok. *click*

Wow. Just....wow. Normally the wrong numbers at least let me get my greeting out, then usually realize they call the wrong number.

Anyone else got any amusing wrong number stories?
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Someone once called me and tried to make a reservation for a restaurant. Later I looked up the restaurant in the phone book and their phone number has all the same numbers as mine, just in a different order. I'm surprised I don't get more of those calls.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I used to work in a specialized department at the cable company. Only about 10 people had our number and they were all company employees. However, the number was one digit away from a company that sold, uh, adult protective undergarments (that is, diapers for adults). Apparently, the supplies were sold by the month, so we'd start getting calls around the 20th. We could tell when one of those calls was coming in because the area code on caller ID would be from a state we didn't service. We tried to give the customer every opportunity to say, "oops!" and let us give them the right number. Alas, most calls went like this:

Me: Hello, thank you for calling SmallCable, providers of CABLE TV AND INTERNET SERVICE.
      Caller: xxxxxx-xxxx
      Me: I'm sorry?
      Caller: My account number. xxxxxx-xxxx.
      Me: This is the cable company.
      Caller: The what?
      Me: Cable TV... and internet.
      Caller: You don't sell diapers?
      Me: No. You have the wrong number. You're probably trying to reach...
      <click>

Because we rotated incoming calls, I'd look over at my co-worker and say, "Ready? In 5... 4.... 3... 2... 1" and her phone would ring...

Co-worker: Hello, thank you for calling SmallCable, STILL the providers of CABLE TV AND INTERNET SERVICE.
      Same caller: xxxxxx-xxxx.
      Co-worker: Sorry, we're still the cable company.

The worst calls were from the people who were around 120 years old...

Caller: I don't understand. I need diapers.
      Me: You'll have to call the company that provides them. You can reach them at...
      Caller: You give them the message that I'll need diapers by the first of the month.
      <click>
      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
      X