Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my ass chewed by an old biddy in the grocery store yesterday because I had parked in a handicapped spot and she was old and needed it more than I did, since I was obviously not handicapped.

Her proof? I had absolutely no problem lifting my son's wheelchair out of the van.

Seriously?
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      Got my ass chewed by an old biddy in the grocery store yesterday because I had parked in a handicapped spot and she was old and needed it more than I did, since I was obviously not handicapped.

Her proof? I had absolutely no problem lifting my son's wheelchair out of the van.

Seriously?
      Blink. Blink. :facepalm:
      Things like this make me weep for humanity.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

As I've mentioned in the past, we travel back in forth between NC and NEPA to visit family. Our travels take us on I78 and right past Hershey Park every time we go through the area, and Hershey (at least Chocolate World) has become our traditional stop on the way back to NC. Mostly, it's to pick up something for the kid's teachers (end of year/mid year... dependent upon the time of travel).

The last time we went through my wife was in a wheelchair. We have, and still have, tags for both vehicles for when she's with me (or on her own). She's down to using those funky arm crutches at this point, but that's neither here nor there. So it's me, the missus, and our 5 kids. This happened several years ago, but our youngest was older than 3 at the time (I don't recall having taken a stroller in).

As it happens, the first row is almost entirely made up of handicapped spaces. We got to park at the space that's not only the last one on the end, but it's also the deepest in the lot (yet closest to the entrance to where we were headed). Parking wasn't the issue. It was as we were leaving that the SC showed up.

I, having had "Just About Enough of this Shit(TM)" when it comes to 5 kids in a candy store, elected to walk the kids out to the car. This left my wife, and possibly one of our spawn, back in the store and the rest of the brood strapped into car seats. I'm waiting and mucking about with my phone. At some point I notice a conversion van has parked itself (blocking traffic) behind my vehicle. I thought it strange but kept on not killing the children and elevating myself of boredom.

At some point, however, I hear a "Hey! Move that car!!??!?!!!?!?!". Keep in mind, we have a valid tag. We're in a valid space (not a van only space, mind, but your typical handicap space). I believe I ignored it initially but the owners of the conversion van start screaming at me about how they HAVE to use that spot. How dare I use that spot? Can't you see we need that spot, we have a CHAIR we need to get out!!>!?!!!! They just could not grasp that someone else in this world might be, I dunno, handicapped as well. I did try to explain my wife, who was inside, was in a wheel chair.

They continued to wait (and block traffic). Me, I hate confrontation, and at some point spot my wife struggling to get back to the van. I stalk out to meet her, grab the chair, and say "don't ask. I'll tell you later" and proceed to whip her 'round to the van. When I get everyone loaded up I started to try and back out. Recall the part about blocking traffic? Yeah, they wouldn't even budge so I could get out the bloody spot! Oy, the entitlement on some folks.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Same thing for me

I haven't posted for a while but as a new acquirer of a plaquard I have already had a SC get it my face for its use. I had parked in a spot, had been in and out, and was waiting for my wife. An older driver came up to my window and started berating me for not having a plaque. I pointed to the one underneath the clip in my window (Volvo V50s have a clip on the A pillar for just this purpose).
          SC goes off saying it must be on the rearview mirror. I showed him right on the back of the plaque that the instructions only say that it must be clearly visible, not necessarily on the arm of the mirror and it must ge removed before driving. Que a derisive snort and a "I'll show you!" Goes to his vehicle which is parked in another handicap spot, gets in and pulls down HIS plaque. I see him reading it, then slamming it on the dash and squealing his tires as he drives off.

Comment

This was me.

http://notalwaysright.com/not-all-kn...ng-armor/24174

Some people are just douchebags.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

You are NOT a bitch. You totally did the right thing! Thank you for doing this

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                This was me.

http://notalwaysright.com/not-all-kn...ng-armor/24174

Some people are just douchebags.
                And some knights wear shining faded-denim.

I'd always wondered with that story: did the ass who drove over your son's walker have to pay for the replacement?
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The kids that helped me got both my tag numbers and the asswipe's tags. The police were called, the red bullseye management pulled the video and called the cops. The ass was given the choice to either purchase a new walker (not cheap, as it was a pediatric size, which always ups the price of mobility aids), or be charged with several crimes, including attempted assault and destruction of property. He bought a new walker.

Comment

While I'm very glad you didn't have to pay for it, I kind of wish he got BOTH the charges AND having to pay for the walker.
                    If you're still in touch with the 'kids' (who showed great maturity for anyone of any age); please let them know some random folks on the internet think they done good.

BTW, to everyone here who's mentioned (or not mentioned but done) helping keep handicap spaces free for people who need them: THANK YOU.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      The kids that helped me got both my tag numbers and the asswipe's tags. The police were called, the red bullseye management pulled the video and called the cops. The ass was given the choice to either purchase a new walker (not cheap, as it was a pediatric size, which always ups the price of mobility aids), or be charged with several crimes, including attempted assault and destruction of property. He bought a new walker.
                      Everytime I read this story, my jaw drops at the sheer asshattery.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, the little one still freaks out a little bit if somebody decides to challenge me regarding my right to use those spaces. He doesn't handle confrontation well.

At the time, I just wanted to get away. I'd already called my health insurance company to see about replacing the walker when the police contacted me to tell me that I had a new one coming. I was so overwhelmed at the time, that I just wanted to be done with it all. One of the parts I left out of that story was that we were hanging around Minneapolis for just a few more weeks to get clearance from the little one's hip surgeon before going to Seattle to have his wrist repaired, as the only surgeon in the country we could find that was willing to touch it was there. I just had too much else going on to deal with anything more.

Comment

Working...
                        X