This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Charger

Now becoming a regular occurrence: Customer comes in to buy a phone charger.

sc: I need a charger for (Galaxy) android phone.

moi: no problem, we have house and car chargers which one do you need?

sc: long sigh and eye rolling; as if I had asked for something that so obvious that a caveman wouldn't even ask; house charger.

moi: well, we have this one that will work well with your phone

sc: how much are they?

moi: about $20

sc: (look as if I had just kicked her puppy and exposed myself to her grandma) $20 dollars! do you have anything cheaper?!? what about just the cord?

moi: Sorry, that's the price, we do have just the USB cord, its 17.99$

sc: (sputters and shakes head) WHHATT?!? CAN "YOU" EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE CORD IS AS EXPENSIVE AS THE WHOLE THING?! WELL !!?!?! (repeat three times in sucession)

moi: Well (challenge accepted),

I CAN explain to you that I have nothing to do with the pricing or setting of the prices.

I CAN explain the best charger for your phone and features that make our chargers a good value

I CAN provide you with their price so you can make an informed decision.

What's your budget?

sc: $5

moi: Sorry, we don't have anything at that price range, but let me tell you why our chargers are a great value....

sc: no, I'll just get it at the gas station. walks off.

Oh well, I'll see you back in a couple of weeks to (pick a number):
    1. buy our charger.
    2. buy a new battery for the phone .
    3. buy a new phone.

I have a feeling those $5 dollar chargers are secretly funded by the major suppliers to cater not only to lowballers, but to ensure a revenue stream/market for replacement batteries and phones.
    Last edited by Josh; 05-29-2014, 03:45 AM.
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
    ― Bertrand Russell

I know some inexpensive car chargers are a serious risk. I've seen two cars badly fire-damaged because someone had left one of those cheapie units plugged in overnight.

Comment

God forbid they ask for an OEM iPhone replacement charger...then you're talking between $30-$40, depending on whether it's the old style or the new Lightning cable.
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I have to admit that $18 for a USB cable seems awfully pricey, unless it's one of those brand-specific things with a unique connector on the end.

But a $5 budget to replace a cell charger? Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Comment

The EU were trying to get all the phone companies in Europe to use the same connector, micro USB iirc. Surely if that gets through it could lower the price somewhat and save people the issues of always losing the attachments on the universal ones...?
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Yeah, I buy my lightning/usb charges on eBay because I can get 20 of them for $20 (I usually get free shipping, extras like screen covers or cleaning cloths, and they match the color of my phone). Will all of them work with my iPhone? No. Some will only charge, some will only sync, and some will charge and sync, but considering the high cost and low quality of the ones I've gotten from Apple, it's cheaper for me to have a passel of them at the house and take my chances on disposable cords than it is to shell out $20+ for a single cord that will come apart at the connector within a month.

If I got quality for the cost, I would be happy to pay for the branded charger, but until they provide it, I'll go cheap and disposable.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I bought a nice $35 car charger from the dealer. Now my phone is telling me that it is incompatible and to use my original charger.

I am still trying to figure out if it is the charger or my cars 9 year old wiring. BUT the dealer said that if it was the charger, that they would just exchange it for me. Now I just need to find someone else car to try and charge my phone in.

The dealer said that the reason these chargers are so expensive is because they have a chip that prevents over-charging.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                The dealer said that the reason these chargers are so expensive is because they have a chip that prevents over-charging.
                For some phones, I believe that may be true, but any phone that charges via a USB cable would have its charge regulator within the phone itself, perhaps even integral with the battery (if removable).

Comment

Gee whiz, I actually had to buy what I think is the same charger (a generic one that goes with all Samsung devices) since Li'l Zel ended up forgetting the original charger at a friend's house (no biggie, a spare one is always handy). I ended up paying the equivalent of USD 40.00 (actually it was USD 50 but I removed our insane sales tax for a better comparison).
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                    I know some inexpensive car chargers are a serious risk. I've seen two cars badly fire-damaged because someone had left one of those cheapie units plugged in overnight.
                    I could leave one of those cheapies plugged in all week with no problems. Of course, on my car the power to the lighter is only turned on when the key is in the "ON" or "ACC" positions.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                      ... car chargers are a serious risk... plugged in overnight.
                      The Devil's Panties 04-06-2013. That's our girl!

So... Ben-Gay for lube is a bad idea?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Don't most Galaxy models charge via micro USB? Except the tablets, I guess..
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                          Don't most Galaxy models charge via micro USB? Except the tablets, I guess..
                          No, some of the Galaxy tablets do also charge via micro USB. At least, the Galaxy Tabs 3 that are sold in Europe do.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Hmm, looks like they ditched the proprietary connector they used on the Tab 2. I have a Galaxy S Relay and a Tab 2. The Relay has microUSB, so I'd never pay more than a few bucks for a cable. The Tab 2 has an Apple-like connector, looks almost identical to the iphone's. That cord doesn't leave my house, even though a quick google shows it too is less than ten bucks.
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post

At least, the Galaxy Tabs 3 that are sold in Europe do.
                              Main reason I want to upgrade to a tab 3. Sick or carrying two cables with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X