This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
    my IQ was 139, higher than his, and i was a few points away from genius.
    What is the genius IQ, again?
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Here are the older classifications:

IQ Classifications No Longer in Use

Terman, Lewis M. The Measurement of Intelligence. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1916
      An explanation of and complete guide for the use of the Stanford Revision
      and extension of the Binet-Simon Intelligence Scale

140 and over Genius or near genius
      120-140 Very superior intelligence
      110-120 Superior intelligence
      90-110 Normal or average intelligence
      80-90 Dullness
      70-80 Borderline deficiency
      Below 70 Definite feeble-mindedness

Mental deficiency used to be divided into the following sub-classifications, but these labels began to be abused by the public and are now largely obsolete: Borderline Deficiency (IQ 70-80), Moron (IQ 50-69), Imbecile (IQ 20-49 and Idiot (below 20). Mental deficiency is now generally called mental retardation.
      and the current ones:

IQ Classifications in Educational Use

Wechsler, David. Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Third edition
      Psychological Corporation, 1997

Classification
      IQ Score Percent Included Theoretical Normal Curve Actual Sample

Very Superior 130 and above 2.2 2.1
      Superior 120-129 6.7 8.3
      High Average* 110-119 16.1 16.1
      Average 90-109 50.0 50.3
      Low Average* 80-89 16.1 14.8
      Borderline 70-79 6.7 6.5
      Extremely Low* ** 69 and below 2.2 1.9

*The terms High Average, Low Average and Extremely Low correspond to the terms Bright Normal, Dull Normal and Mental Defective, respectively, used in the 1955 WAIS manual.

**The term Extremely Low is used in place of the terms Mentally Retarded, used in the WAIS-R, and Intellectually Deficient, used in the WISC-III to avoid the implication that a very low IQ score is sufficient evidence by itself for the classification of "mental retardation" or "intellectually deficient."
      The classification of "genius" is no longer used, and hasn't been for at least ten years. When I was IQ tested in elementary school, I was immediately shunted into a gifted program *sigh* stupid reliance on stupid numbers. An IQ of 139 doesn't automatically make you "gifted", just as an IQ of 95 doesn't make you an "idiot". There are many other factors that have to be considered.

Sorry, I'd format the list so that the numbers fall under the actual headings, but I simply don't know how to do that in this sort of coding... The first number after the IQ is the projected percentage of the population at that level, and the second number is the actual sampling they took (it doesn't indicate the number of the sampling).
      Last edited by tollbaby; 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot ;)
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Then again, there are people like my father who tested consistantly as having an IQ of 169. My favorite way to rib him is to say that he's so smart, even his blood type is A+. (It's true, his blood type is A positive. Go figure.)
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Worst I had at school was when playing volleyball in high school. I tried to spike the ball, misjudged it and ended up jamming my pinky into the ball. Hurt like hell. I waited for a bit for the pain to go away and it didn't. Eventually the gym teacher told me I looked like I was going to pass out and sent me to the nurse.

The nurse looks at it and says it's just jammed. It'll be fine. At this point I realize I can't move the top of my finger. I tell her, no, it's not jammed, this is worse. She again tells me that it's just jammed. I hold my finger up and the top of it just flops over, unable to move. "IT SHOULDN'T DO THAT!!" I say. She relents and calls my mom to come pick me up, telling her I jammed my finger. My mom, who worked nights at the time, shows up and is none too happy to have to get out of bed and come pick me up for just a jammed finger. She walks in and looks at my finger and says "Great, you've at least popped the tendon off, and probably broke it too. Let's get you to the doctor to have it xrayed. *looks at the nurse* this is not a jammed finger"

Comment

Working...
          X