Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite a lot of parents buy booze around here and share with their kids, my cousin (who is 18) is among that group. I think her parents figure she is responsible, and she never gets shit-faced, so...
    Last edited by Tama; 07-29-2014, 11:28 PM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

As a bit of an aside, what's so funny about this to me is I was regularly going into Rite Aid by myself when I was 7 or 8 years old and buying cigs for my mom with no questions asked.

That was almost 30 years ago.

I don't know what kinds of laws were on the books then.

ETA: Just to add, I don't at all agree that they should have sold them to me.
      Last edited by Lachrymose; 07-30-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        Quite a lot of parents buy booze around here and share with their kids, my cousin (who is 18) is among that group. I think her parents figure she is responsible, and she never gets shit-faced, so...
        In some states this is legal. Aha, link to map of exceptions. My parents would let me have a sip of whatever they were having (and it's legal in my state) but I hardly ever liked it.

When I was little I would sometimes be with my mom or dad when they bought alcohol. I've never heard of this carding everyone in the group rule, but I can't blame stores for trying to avoid fines and such.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
          As a bit of an aside, what's so funny about this to me is I was regularly going into Rite Aid by myself when I was 7 or 8 years old and buying cigs for my mom with no questions asked.

That was almost 30 years ago.

I don't know what kinds of laws were on the books then.

ETA: Just to add, I don't at all agree that they should have sold them to me.
          I used to do the same thing back in the late 1960's at the corner grocery store and the clerks knew who I was and who my parents were and they NEVER batted an eye.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

In regards to companies and their reputation of sales to minors....

A few years ago, we had a younger employee who didn't do much work. I couldn't stand him. My boss was determined to weed him out eventually. My boss was less than conventional in these matters and wasn't completely honest. However, he rewarded those of us who did well and most people actually enjoyed working for him. In this case, he gave this employee a write up (a strike against the employee) that was a complete farse. It stated that we had received a complaint from a concerned mother that her teen son had obtained cigarettes from said employee as a sale when she found them and confronted her son. No mention of names so the employee had no idea who it might be. The write up basically said that we don't condone this and further actions will result if anything like this happens again, etc. A couple days later, our Regional Director had called my boss after seeing this write up pass through HR and told my boss to FIRE HIM. "We don't want that reputation." I was shocked/pleased.

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
              In regards to companies and their reputation of sales to minors....

A few years ago, we had a younger employee who didn't do much work. I couldn't stand him. My boss was determined to weed him out eventually. My boss was less than conventional in these matters and wasn't completely honest. However, he rewarded those of us who did well and most people actually enjoyed working for him. In this case, he gave this employee a write up (a strike against the employee) that was a complete farse. It stated that we had received a complaint from a concerned mother that her teen son had obtained cigarettes from said employee as a sale when she found them and confronted her son. No mention of names so the employee had no idea who it might be. The write up basically said that we don't condone this and further actions will result if anything like this happens again, etc. A couple days later, our Regional Director had called my boss after seeing this write up pass through HR and told my boss to FIRE HIM. "We don't want that reputation." I was shocked/pleased.
              Doing that kind of thing is INCREDIBLY dangerous. If such a thing had happened here in NZ, the employee would have been able to take the matter to court and the full onus of proof would fall on the employer to show that the incident had indeed happened beyond any shadow of doubt, if they failed to do so, they would be up for the cost of wages that the employee had lost, extra penalties for humiliation, plus possible criminal charges for libel and fraud.

There is FAR more honest ways of drumming out someone, such as holding them to company rules to the absolute letter (if they put even one toe out of line, they get written up, sure it's mean, but at the end of the day at least it is legal)
              Violets are blue,
              Roses are red,
              I bequeath to thee...
              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                Doing that kind of thing is INCREDIBLY dangerous.
                Yes, very true. This boss was eventually fired for a different honesty related issue so as it goes, things will always come back to you. Sadly, he was the best boss I ever worked for. I am mad he took those risks.

Comment

Unfortunately here in the US there's that little thing called at-will. Unless you can show that you were a victim of sexual harassment or unlawful (keyword) discrimination, were forced to do something illegal, or were retaliated against for trying to honestly report any of the above, you're pretty much out of luck. But that's okay, I'm in a union, I'm good, right? Not necessarily, if the union is incompetent or outright hostile towards you (as mine was). And even if you did win your union grievance (which can take months/years), all you can get is reinstatement (which in a particularly abusive workplace situation you might not want to go back) and backpay.

Sad but pretty much true.

Comment

Ya, it is one of those "Irritating laws that get passed because of Stupid Customers" things.

I hate those laws, but I understand them too.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      I used to do the same thing back in the late 1960's at the corner grocery store and the clerks knew who I was and who my parents were and they NEVER batted an eye.
                      Back in the 80's/early 90's, my mom smoked and I was preteen. I'd often bike up to the corner store to get her smokes from the shop up there and they never batted an eye. Partly it was because we were in a small community so everyone knew everyone, including who smoked and who didn't. But I also suspect the owners didn't give a damn as long as they recognized you.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                        Has soon has the word "-daughter" was uttered the cashier was in the wrong for refusing, but I don't blame them for sticking to their guns so to speak.
                        But at that point, that relationship did not exist. Fiancé =/= step-parent.

Quoth mlmama View Post
                        My fiance' was 25-26 at the time and my daughter was a 5' 5" well-endowed(maybe the reason) 16 year old.
                        Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        When I was little I would sometimes be with my mom or dad when they bought alcohol. I've never heard of this carding everyone in the group rule, but I can't blame stores for trying to avoid fines and such.
                        What a lot of people fail to grasp is that if your child that is with you is a minor, carding everyone in the party doesn't hold. The moment that kid turns 18, they are legally an adult. That's when carding the entire party kicks in.

New Mexico doesn't require that, but I've seen some stores with that policy.

When I was between 18 and 21, there was one grocery store we frequent in Las Cruces that maybe, yeah, the clerk should have carded us all. But, these were also clerks that had known me since I was a baby.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

IDing everyone in a group is a State Law in Texas, and the TABC is ruthless when it comes to the law. I had a coworker who was arrested for taking an ID that expired that very day, she believed the sob story about working and forgetting to go and get a new license but it ended up being a sting. IT WAS THE SAME DAY!

Then there was the time that my coworker saved me. They used IDENTICAL TWINS IN THE SAME OUTFIT, just one had a cap on and the other didn't. I had carded the guy and he said it was in his car. When he came back he didn't have a cap on but I thought nothing of it because when my husband goes into his car for something he takes his cap off and sometimes doesn't put it back on. Luckily for me, my coworker noticed the switch or I would have been arrested for a third party sell. (He was taking out the trash and noticed not only the switch but also the official vehicle.)

When I got my TABC license I was told about the type of stings that were most likely, and what your Fiance and daughter went through was the biggest one. (I did also go through one of those with flying colors!)

Comment

If it was due to expire that same day, that is complete rubbish. Unless a license has an explicit TIME of expiry listed on it, it should technically expire at 11:59:59pm of that day, meaning if someone goes in today at 8pm with a drivers license that is due to expire today, it would be perfectly valid. That kind of thing to me ranks up with the rubbish about needing to have a passport valid for X months after you leave a country.

Also the second description reeks of entrapment to me, using identical twins as part of a sting operation, sounds like it was a quiet week and they were desperate to bust someone, no matter how iffy the means.
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

But if one twin was legal wouldn't that mean the other twin was legal as well?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                                But if one twin was legal wouldn't that mean the other twin was legal as well?
                                But what if one were born at 11:59 PM, and the other were born at 12:01 AM? Didn't think of that, didja?

Comment

Working...
                                X