This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Canyon of Suckage

I'm currently in the middle of a well-deserved vacation in Las Vegas (I like to call it 'Lost Wages!'), and yesterday I took a bus trip to the Grand Canyon. It was an amazing experience - you get to see Hoover Dam on the way, the bus takes you from the Strip through Joshua tree forests and chapparal country and sparsely-populated towns of trailers and ramshackle tin huts that look like a cross between Breaking Bad and Lovecraft, the tour guide was very professional and had lots of interesting information to share, and I even got to walk out on the transparent glass sidewalk hanging out over the canyon edge. There was, however, one aspect of the trip that was not so great.

Once the bus gets to the canyon, you're more or less on your own to roam the grounds on your own, have your lunch, hike, take selfies two feet from the cliff edge, or what have you. The tour guide announced multiple times before arrival - at least five times that I remember - that you were responsible for making it back to the bus no later than 1:30 so that everyone could get back to Vegas on time. By 12:45 I'd seen all I needed to see and got back to the bus. At 1:30, (almost) everyone was there, and the tour guide did a headcount. Then he left the bus and came back 10 minutes later and did another headcount. Then he left again, came back 15 minutes later, and did another headcount, and then made this announcement:

TG: We're four people short, ladies and gentlemen, so I'm going to take roll call. We'll start with the parties of four - Customer, first name Sucky?

(no response)

TG: Customer, Sucky, staying at the Gilton Hrand? Anyone from this party?

(no response)

Surprisingly, he had got it in one, and yes, the entire party was missing.

TG: I've got their phone number, let's give them a call.

(Surprisingly enough, yes, you can get cell phone service at the Grand Canyon with most carriers these days, but good luck getting a data connection.)

He calls them. No answer. He leaves a message. And then he leaves to look for them again.

At 2:15, now 45 minutes past departure time, he comes back again emptyhanded, leaves another message, and makes an announcement.

TG: We're still missing the Customers. I know some of you are thinking we should just leave now anyway, but we can't do that yet - it opens us up to litigation, there's nowhere to stay out here, no alternate transportation, you know the rest of the story. I have checked all the gift shops, I've checked the helicopter terminal, I've alerted security and they are checking at the rim, and I've left several messages. I'm gonna take one last look around for them, and one way or another we ought to be back on the Strip no later than 5.

He finally comes back at 2:35, leading a mother and three kids in tow, who get onboard without apologizing to anyone and bickering to the driver that NOBODY TOLD THEM they had to be back at a certain time.

We eventually made it back to the Strip at 5:30, a good hour and a half behind schedule. It just boggles my mind how people could pay so little attention to a tour they PAID to be on, especially one which is taking them into an uninhabited desert and which is their only lifeline back to civilized lands. Or did they just expect that the bus and everyone on it would just sit there all day and all night until they FELT like going back, because surely none of those people had plans or anything, right? (I personally had to cancel my reservation at Gordon Ramsay's steakhouse, but I still managed to get into another steakhouse that was good, though probably not as good.) And of course, as the tour guide mentioned while waiting on them, this was hardly the first time it's happened in his ten years doing tours.
    Last edited by Smapti; 08-13-2014, 10:04 PM.

People must figure they've paid their money, so they're going to enjoy things at their own pace, and to hell with everybody else.

I just returned from a vacation in Oregon and Washington to visit Olympic National Park, Mount Ranier, and Multnomah Falls. It's always cool visiting national parks, but in every trip there's at least one instance where I think I'm about to witness a tragedy. This year it was the two girls laying on their backs on a wall near the parking for Vista House. Roll the wrong way and it's a long way down to the ground.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

On that note, I'm honestly surprised that the number of people who fall into the Grand Canyon is only in the single digits per year. I was too terrified to come within five feet of the edge - and yet there were people posing right on the ledge itself for pictures, or sitting down and dangling their feet over the edge.

While I was hiking to Guano Point, one of the security guards (the portion of the canyon I visited is on Native American land, and they've done a great job with the place) happily informed me that I could walk closer to the cliff if I wanted to. I smiled and told him "I'm fine over here."

Comment

Had that happen once with a flight. It was a small enough plane that you had to walk outside the terminal and then climb roll-away stairs to board the plane. Departure time came and went and only a handful of passengers were on the flight. Finally the attendant comes over the intercom, apologizing for the delay, but see they were missing 40 (FOURTY!!) passengers and were trying to locate them before they could begin to taxi. Basically, we were missing most of the passengers from the plane.

About 10 minutes later, a girl scout troop boarded the plane, carrying to-go bags and drinks from McDonalds. Our plane left 30 minutes late because the troop apparently got jonesing for burgers.

Now granted this was before 9/11, I doubt that would fly today (see what I did there? )
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Or did they just expect that the bus and everyone on it would just sit there all day and all night until they FELT like going back, because surely none of those people had plans or anything, right?

Unfortunately, that's pretty much what happened. I HATE people like that!!!!!! "Oh it's 5 minutes till you close? I just need ONE thing!" 25 minutes later .......

"You should have told me you were closing!" :catbuttface: "Why isn't my card going through? It's YOUR fault!! You rushed me!!!!!!!!!!!!"

le sigh

Comment

Wow that's just so wrong! If nobody told them, why did everyone else manage to get to the coach on time? I thought nobody was told lol.

They either knew the designated time and chose to ignore it because they think they're special and everyone should be put on hold because THEY want to come back at their own time, or they were too engrossed and absorbed in themselves, again, because they think they're special, that they just didn't hear the announcement. Whichever one it was, it's still wrong!

I'm so sorry that this awful, self-absorbed, speshul snowflake family ruined your plans. I'm glad that you managed to still make the most of your evening though.

I also hope that something came up that night to scupper that family's plans. Karma and all that.

Comment

A simpler solution might be to put into the booking information, and get signatures (under a nice camera) to a simple paragraph. 'Anyone not back at the bus at the scheduled departure time will have to pay the $500.00 per hour (15 minute minimum increments) per person, search and wait fee.

Comment

I just had to pop in and provide a link (hope that's ok) to a video about Guano Point. Very old recording but the crazy dude riding on top of the cable car is my Gramps. He passed on few years ago and he was still as crazy as ever. Crazy in a good way. Grandma said she married him because she didn't want a boring life. Lesson learned? Careful what you ask for!
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyKwpp4T_E

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                  A simpler solution might be to put into the booking information, and get signatures (under a nice camera) to a simple paragraph. 'Anyone not back at the bus at the scheduled departure time will have to pay the $500.00 per hour (15 minute minimum increments) per person, search and wait fee.
                  Ooh. I like that. Use it to pay the overtime for the Tour Guide and the bus company. Anything left over gets refunded to the passengers that had to wait.

Comment

Quoth wheeitsmee View Post
                    Ooh. I like that. Use it to pay the overtime for the Tour Guide and the bus company. Anything left over gets refunded to the passengers that had to wait.
                    This. If I'm late because you couldn't be on time then by gum you _will_ reimburse me for my wasted time!

Comment

I would love to do something like that tour the next time I go to Vegas. How much was the cost per person?
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        I would love to do something like that tour the next time I go to Vegas. How much was the cost per person?
                        The one I purchased through Expedia was $129 per person (the company is called Sweet ours), and (assuming noone decides to make the bus wait an extra hour) runs about 10-11 hours from when the bus picks you up at your hotel to when they drop you off. You get continental breakfast on the bus and a BBQ lunch at the rim, and the bus provides all the bottled water you can drink. The skywalk is an extra $32 if you want to do that, and you can take a short helicopter flight to the bottom of the canyon for about another $150 (which I passed on).

Comment

For anyone who wants to know why it is called Guano point check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyKwpp4T_E. The crazy man (Bill) riding on top of the cable car crossing the canyon is my Gramps. Grandma married him because she "didn't want her life to be boring." Moral of the story? Careful what you ask for! =D

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                            That plan is brilliant and I wholeheartedly support!

Quoth Smapti View Post
                            On that note, I'm honestly surprised that the number of people who fall into the Grand Canyon is only in the single digits per year. I was too terrified to come within five feet of the edge - and yet there were people posing right on the ledge itself for pictures, or sitting down and dangling their feet over the edge.
                            Oh...my husband would be one of those. I like hiking up cliffs and mountains and stuff, but not so much standing right by the edge. On one hike we do annually, there's a ledge right below the lip before it goes straight down for over 300 feet. You can't see the ledge unless you're right there at the edge. Who was climbing around that ledge, poking his head up over the edge and waving at me while I was screaming at him to get away from there?
                            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

"All the water you can drink" is probably a health matter; and they may well have rehydration powder in their first aid kit: somewhere that hot-and-dry is a dehydration and heatstroke risk.

You reminded me of a snippet of interesting (hopefully) Australiana:
                              Both the Ghan and the Indian-Pacific train journeys go through desert. There are a couple of stops the train makes where the doors remain closed/locked: the stops are for train servicing/maintenance. If any passengers did get off and not make it back on, they'd be dead before the next passenger train came past. Possibly before the next train of any sort came past. And there's no other form of transport, and the only people who might be within walking distance are the nomadic Australian Aboriginal tribe for the area.

When I was a teenager I had NO sense of danger.
                              Some of you may have been to a place called Hanging Rock (Also see Hanging Rock). More of you may have seen the film 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picnic_at_Hanging_Rock'. I have no idea why it's called 'Hanging Rock'; it should more be called 'Hollow Rocks'.
                              The place is riddled with what I'd call megaliths, except that it's a natural formation. Imagine a celtic stone monument, but with no lintel stones. And instead of solid rocks, these are riddled with holes - like massive pumice pipes. (Apparently it's actually solvsbergite, aka soda trachyte.)
                              The interior is also riddled with these holes/caves. And yes, people have gone missing there.

We went there for a picnic. I was curious and intrigued and started poking around these megaliths .... alone .... out of sight of my parents ....

Until Mum sent Dad to find me, and they gave me one of those 'we're terrified' lectures.

No, that wasn't my only such adventure, just probably one of the more dangerous.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X