This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Communication is Just the Finale

A couple of weeks ago, a coworker and I decided to splurge at lunch and go to the Manufacturer of Dairy-laden Desserts. We went after the lunch rush and were seated immediately and got our menus and drink pretty quickly. I ordered a standard lunch special. My coworker ordered a classic burger with cheese. And then we sat and waited. And waited. And waited. She was keeping up with incoming work email and we were talking caseloads and upcoming deadlines, so we were busy.

In the meantime, a few other tables were seated near us, and they also got their menus and drinks, but never got a chance to order, as our waiter just disappeared.

After nearly 25 minutes had passed, we finally saw our waiter and asked for our food. In the meantime, none of the other tables had had the chance to order.

The food arrives and it's wrong. My coworker tries to stop the worker and says that this isn't a classic burger, it's a mushroom burger, but he just walks away. I taste my food and it's cold. I've never been served a plate before where everything on it was equally cold, so it wasn't like they fired the salmon too quickly and then did the veggies, but obviously the plate was ready and sitting for a while.

The waiter than takes the orders of one of the tables by us and disappears again, not to return.

My coworker scrapes off the mushrooms and eats the burger. I just sit there building up my fume. Finally, I get up and walk down to the hostess stand. I ask for a manager, and it turns out the woman there is the MOD. I explain the issue. She asks if I want something else. I tell her, no, I have to get back to work and I don't have the time. She keeps asking if I want cheesecake, and I explain that I have celiac disease and I don't want cheesecake, I wanted lunch. Then she offers soup and salad, and I said, no, again, I have celiac and I don't have time to figure out what I can eat and what I can't.

She was really apologetic, and obviously trying to calm things down, but I wasn't yelling, or swearing, I was just upset. We also pointed out that the people around us had had to wait a long time just to order.

She then says ok, and leaves. Nothing about comping the meal or a giftcard or anything else. She goes up to the register in the bar and that's it, she never came back. Finally, my coworker and I just got up and left without paying, as we were never given a tab.

I went back to the office and fired off an email complaining, and one of the main reasons was because the manager never got back to me about what they were going to do.

Over the weekend, a letter of apology showed up with a giftcard for $25. I gave the giftcard to my coworker to use, and let her read the letter. She and I agreed that, despite the manager's request that we let her know when we return, we will never ever do that. We don't want to risk retaliation.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

How did they think that by giving you a gift card that it was going to make what you experienced less obnoxious?

Comment

It's the standard corporate response to complaints, in the vein of "Please don't stop giving us your business!" -- if it works, the customers come back and (hopefully) have a better experience, and come back for paid trips more often. If not, it costs them nothing aside from postage, and they get to have a Liability (read: potential cost) on the books for a few years, which counts against their net profits for tax purposes (read: lowers their taxes). Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of gift cards a year, across the nation, for a large chain.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I suggest you contact corporate again, and spell out your concerns over returning. My daughter works as a waitress at the maker of cakes of creamcheese, and they have a zero tolerance policy on such shenanigans.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

And if you and CW really don't want to return, you can always peddle that gift card on craigslist or ebay.

Or give it to someone you don't like, whichever...

Comment

Its also a fairly clever bit to just give you a $25 gift card. That particular establishment, unless you are really thrifty in your menu choices, you will NOT get out of there for less than $25, and that's if you go alone.

Comment

Working...
            X