Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They're not called self-checkouts anymore...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're not called self-checkouts anymore...

...but "assisted checkouts"

My local supermarket has decided to rename their SCO terminals, including recording new instructions, calling them "assisted checkouts" now, without actually changing a thing about them in any other way.

I wonder what the logic is?

Hum.

Ess-Cee-Oh had kind of a ring to it... ACO, not so much... Maybe call them ass checkouts?

Comment

My guess is that there will always be a certain percentage of people who are utterly incapable of using the things, as "Scan item then place item in bag" is apparently far to difficult for them to comprehend. That, or it just sounds friendlier/they don't want people to think they need to actually do something for themselves (while continuing to MAKE them do it themselves)...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

they don't want people to think they need to actually do something for themselves (while continuing to MAKE them do it themselves)...
        This. Or enough customers complained that they "needed help" on the self-check-outs. Ugh.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
          ...but "assisted checkouts"

My local supermarket has decided to rename their SCO terminals, including recording new instructions, calling them "assisted checkouts" now, without actually changing a thing about them in any other way.

Marketroids got involved? Some bizarre variant of political correctness/"sensitivity"?
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post

My guess is marketing. The company has likely decided that it would like to emphasize customer service. Self-checkouts are pretty much the opposite of customer service, so they've relabeled it.

Kinda like where I work, customers cannot be called customers. They must be referred to as 'guests'. And coworkers must be referred to as 'colleagues'. It's all crap meant to cast a certain image.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
              My guess is marketing. The company has likely decided that it would like to emphasize customer service. Self-checkouts are pretty much the opposite of customer service, so they've relabeled it.

Kinda like where I work, customers cannot be called customers. They must be referred to as 'guests'. And coworkers must be referred to as 'colleagues'. It's all crap meant to cast a certain image.
              Gee, I used to work at a place that called customers "guests" but we called coworkers "team members".
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Ugh, I hate all that Doubleplusgood CorporateSpeak!

Though I do like seeing it made fun of...!
                Last edited by XCashier; 09-06-2014, 07:14 PM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

OK, I just watched that video.

Ouch. Never heard so many words mean so little in all my life.

Comment

Just curious, but what operating system do the self check-outs use? Is it SCO UNIX?

For non-geeks:
                    Back in the days when MS-DOS was a viable operating system and a 386/33 was a "hot" machine, there was an operating system called SCO UNIX (this flavour of UNIX was distributed by Santa Cruz Operations). Don't know if it's still around or not.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Pretty sure the Chain of Verylarge Stores was running some variant of SCO/OpenServer on their pharmacy terminals as late as 2007. Might still be, for all I know.

But then, their back-end stuff was written in COBOL at that time as well.

Comment

I think SCO did get used for POS systems quite often. But now we have SCOs that *are* POSes.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Just curious, but what operating system do the self check-outs use? Is it SCO UNIX?

For non-geeks:
                          Back in the days when MS-DOS was a viable operating system and a 386/33 was a "hot" machine, there was an operating system called SCO UNIX (this flavour of UNIX was distributed by Santa Cruz Operations). Don't know if it's still around or not.
                          Heh. It's probably still around (old software lives forever), but I'd be surprised if it's actually being developed. Most developers regard SCO as toxic these days.
                          1. SCO UNIX (OpenServer, etc.) was originally developed by the Santa Cruz Operation (singular, not plural).
                          2. The Santa Cruz Operation developed a product line called Tarantella, then sold off their UNIX-related assets and continued as Tarantella, Inc.
                          3. The company that bought SCO's UNIX assets was Caldera International.
                          4. Caldera International renamed themselves The SCO Group.
                          5. The SCO Group somehow got it into their heads that Linux is derivative (in the US copyright law sense of the word) from UNIX, and started claiming that everyone who used Linux owed them royalties.
                          6. Then the SCO Group decided that since IBM had a UNIX license, and had contributed independently-developed code from AIX (their UNIX variant) to Linux, there must have been a contract violation in there, and attempted to revoke IBM's fully-paid, perpetual, irrevocable contract to use UNIX... and sued IBM for (IIRC) $5,000,000,000. (That's "five billion", folks!)

It didn't go well for The SCO Group (half-brained schemes usually don't). If you want more detail, the "SCO v. IBM", "SCO v. Novell", and "SCO Bankruptcy" links at Groklaw have it in spades. Suffice it to say that The SCO Group languished in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and at least once had the US Bankruptcy Trustee move to convert that to Chapter 7. (For those of you who are unfamiliar, Chapter 11 = restructuring, Chapter 7 = dissolution.) I have no idea if it ever came out of bankruptcy or not.
                          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

I always thought self-checkouts implied a certain speed, like faster than a normal checkout. Calling it "assisted checkout" is probably closer to the truth. Someone who doesn't know how to use them will inevitably require assistance and slow down the process pretty heavily.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Our SCO kiosks are Toshiba (some flavor of Unix for the OS). Secure as anything, but not that user-friendly. I've gotten a few errors where even I have no idea what went wrong. The 'user manual' that's supposed to be in the office is not there and most of the managers doubt a manual actually exists.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X