This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    Service dog owners cannot be charged extra for having a service dog in the establishment (example, routine cleaning for dog hair) but CAN be charged for actual damages if the dog urinates or defacates on the carpet, or knocks something over and breaks it.
    Just curious, but in a situation where charges are weight-dependent (e.g. some "bush" airlines, where weight over a very low minimum is charged extra, doesn't matter if the weight is luggage or around the passenger's waist), would they be able to charge extra based on the weight of the service dog (i.e. passenger, luggage, and dog are over the threshold, so the dog counts as "excess weight")?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Pig, dogs, cats, python, sauger glider, hedge hog, bearded dragon, alligator (very small and albino) and turtles, have all been claimed to be service animals by my customers. We stopped asking when we got in trouble for asking about the pig. It wasn't a pot belly or mini either, it was a juvenile pink pig, wearing a pair of modified pull-ups diapers. It also screamed about every 2 minutes. We got chewed out for asking if it was a service animal and served with papers the next day. Ugh.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        They wouldn't happen to be Fire Ferrets, would they?
        Pretty sure that's a red panda, not a ferret of any description.

(Although the WP article does call them "musteloids", so there's a distant relation.)
        Last edited by EricKei; 09-18-2014, 04:21 PM. Reason: added WIMG tags

Comment

That's what I thought when I saw those, too...oh hey, a red panda.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Aislin, I know a lawyer who'd have fun with whomever served your company in regards to the pig.

It really does surprise me how many people try to pass off other critters as service animals when the ADA regs from Sept 15, 2010 specifically denote ONLY dogs as service animals, with some specific exceptions for miniature horses. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Just curious, but in a situation where charges are weight-dependent (e.g. some "bush" airlines, where weight over a very low minimum is charged extra, doesn't matter if the weight is luggage or around the passenger's waist), would they be able to charge extra based on the weight of the service dog (i.e. passenger, luggage, and dog are over the threshold, so the dog counts as "excess weight")?
              Yes, the dog counts as excess weight. The owner has to pay all reasonable charges when it comes to transport.

Quoth Aislin View Post
              Pig, dogs, cats, python, sauger glider, hedge hog, bearded dragon, alligator (very small and albino) and turtles, have all been claimed to be service animals by my customers. We stopped asking when we got in trouble for asking about the pig. It wasn't a pot belly or mini either, it was a juvenile pink pig, wearing a pair of modified pull-ups diapers. It also screamed about every 2 minutes. We got chewed out for asking if it was a service animal and served with papers the next day. Ugh.
              A good lawyer would have a field day with that kind of nuisance suit. You are always allowed to ask if an animal is a service animal. The ADA specifies dogs and miniature horses, though other animals can and have been used.

But simply asking if an animal is a service animal is NOT an ADA violation.

And even if it is a dog, if it messes in the establishment, barks, or is otherwise disruptive, it CAN be asked to leave.

Any lawyer who tried to sue on the basis of this pig is looking for a legal slap down. Your boss should stand firm; a suit like this quickly gets tossed.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
              X