Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yep, just endanger yours and other children....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, just endanger yours and other children....

Alright, my shop is in a three level shopping centre, on the top level.

There's a set of escalators out the front, and an elevator maybe 15m away. This is important, as the escalators clearly say no prams or shopping trolleys, yet everyday, I see idiots push/drag/hold their kids, in prams/pushers, up the escalators, instead of waiting the average of 45 seconds for the elevator. Note these are not the flat travelator style escalators, but the moving staircase type.

So yesterday I look up and notice a parent desperately grab their kid out of a shopping trolley seat, seconds before it goes crashing down the escalator. Had the kid been still stuck in there it could have been tragic. But it gets worse. People go/up down these escalators all the time - a flying metal trolley could really hurt!

By the time I join the crowd looking over the railing, I see some one grabbing stuff off the grond and putting it back in a baby's pram, a frantic mother, and a dad holding a crying baby.

It looks like another group of idiots were about to take their kid up,the escalator in the pram, but the trolley had taken out the pram.

Luckily it didn't seem too bad, kid was more crying in shock than anything, but how f*cking stupid can you be? I'm still shuddering.

Why was the cart so close to the escalator in the first place? Was the parent surprised by escalator? "Lalala shopping is neat, omg moving staircase!"

And It's stuff like that which makes me hate strollers. I know, I know, they aren't inherently evil, it's the parents who are pushing them. Is waiting for an elevator so very terrible? Honestly, it seems like a lot of work to shove it on the escalator...
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The description you gave, prjkt, is very similar to where I work. Three level shopping centre, on the top level, near both escalator and elevator. I've seen idiots taking trolleys up and down the escalators. It just boggles the mind.

Comment

Quoth Orgaloth View Post
        The description you gave, prjkt, is very similar to where I work. Three level shopping centre, on the top level, near both escalator and elevator. I've seen idiots taking trolleys up and down the escalators. It just boggles the mind.

...and if someone was injured they'd sue the store. "I didn't see any signs!"

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
          ...and if someone was injured they'd sue the store. "I didn't see any signs!"
          You didn't look for any....

Comment

They do this in our subway stations. There is an elevator in every single one (which is good because at least once a week, one of the escalators isn't working). I often see parents taking strollers up or down the escalator with their kid still in the stroller. Stupid.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I wish every step escalators could have those sensors that lock up a trolley's wheels when people try to take them on there.

I have seen these at an airport with the luggage trolleys. There was bollards at the top of them to keep people in line and when a luggage trolley tried to go between, it's wheels would lock.

The stupid thing is there were signs everywhere, of course, but the lifts were right next to the escalators with big signs indicating to use them if you had large cases or a trolley.

Now if only I could remember which airport had these.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                So yesterday I look up and notice a parent desperately grab their kid out of a shopping trolley seat, seconds before it goes crashing down the escalator. Had the kid been still stuck in there it could have been tragic. But it gets worse. People go/up down these escalators all the time - a flying metal trolley could really hurt!
                Why am I reminded of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpRSf4q-hI

Comment

That could have been so much more serious. They're all so lucky. The children, I mean, not the dumb adults. Because I have little sympathy for adults who are so stupid to endanger not only themselves, but their young children.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    Why am I reminded of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpRSf4q-hI
                    shame they stole that scene from Battleship Potemkin....but it is still a cool scene.

Been to Union Station several times. Love that place.

But I'm reminded more of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTQmYGfEV0

Comment

This is the scene I thought of.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X