This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I am a "b**ch" to a beggar

Ok so this happened yesterday. I was leaving work at 3:40pm. I'd been up since 4:30am. It's been one of those weeks that I can't go within 50 feet of a train station (let alone get ON the train) without someone wanting something, whether it's guys wanting in my pants (you can't see my wedding ring?) someone wanting to convert me (ironically to the religion I'm already an adherent of). I was tired, I'd been jumping whenever guests whistled all day, I wasn't in the mood to be nice.

So this scruffy lady comes up to me and asks if I have any spare change. She was polite enough in her request, but as I stated, I'd about had it. I told her, in rather nasty tone, that I couldn't afford to give her anything and to leave me alone. I regret that, I think everyone (even the most unfortunate) should be treated with respect. I'd have apologized to her for my attitude and bought her a cup of coffee (we were right in front of a coffee shop), except for what happened next.

She proceeded to launch into a stream of invective, attributing to me the traits of an unfixed female dog, and then chased after me commenting on my nice clothing (thrift store), my rollybag (knockoff from Walmart) and my shoes ($30 non-skid ballet flats, required at work, and I had to short my food budget that month to get them). She continued to shout after me calling me every name in the book until I pulled my phone out ($50 second hand, and the headphone attachment doesn't work right).

I did in fact call the cops. As aggressive as she was with me, I was pretty sure she'd get herself arrested. I was feeling vindictive at the time, but it Isn't my fault if she decided to argue with the police, all I did was hand her the rope, it's her business if she wanted to hang herself with it. Plus, if she needed a meal and a place to sleep, at least she'd get it at the Graybar Hotel.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I remember last year, some random lady (i'm pretty sure she was homeless, and had mental health issues) tried to hand my kids cookies from a dirty open bag. I said "no thank you" and that TOTALLY set her off. I was a bitch, an awful person, who denies their kids cookies? and so much more.

there are so many people here walking around with their hands out lately. I can't even go to the grocery store without someone asking me for a dollar because their car ran out of gas and they are trying to get back to New Mexico. Oddly enough, those same exact people were trying to get back to Utah last week. I don't give money to anyone. After I had food I bought for something thrown back at me because they wanted the cash, I rarely buy food for anyone either.

Comment

I'll give you food, I'll give you something to drink. Maybe clothing. No cash.
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I have to say that I FELT really mean at a homeless person a few days ago. Wait, let me explain! So, I'm trying to get to work, and it's pretty early, still dark with not that much traffic. I'm waiting at a light. It normally changes quickly with so little traffic. Finally it changes, but it's not my turn yet. And then it takes forever to change again. Finally I see the pedestrian light is counting down. I think it starts at 30 seconds, not positive.

Here's what was happening. A homeless guy was at a corner pushing the pedestrian crosswalk button for both directions, but he stayed at his corner, not crossing. He would do this after the light was green for a while, when it was about to turn yellow, which meant the light wouldn't turn for another 30 seconds to wait for the nonexistent pedestrian. Anyway, I felt super cranky about it, when you're a bit late for work things feel like they take forever, you know? And seriously, making people mad won't get you more money, at least not from me.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Don't feel too bad, I've been there. I can't afford to give money to every random person who asks for it, and I NEVER take my wallet out on the street. Too many stories of people who had their wallet snatched. Most of the panhandlers around here are long-timers who spend their money on booze, cigs and drugs. I know there are people who just genuinely need help, but I'm in no position to hand money out to them.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
            I'll give you food, I'll give you something to drink. Maybe clothing. No cash.
            My thoughts exactly. If these people really want the money to get food or clothing, then they'd gladly accept it if you bought it for them. If they insist on cash, you know it's going to be spent on booze, cigarettes or drugs. That's always the test...if you're within easy walking distance of a fast food place, and a beggar asks if you can spare some change "so I can get a bite to eat", offer to walk them over and buy them a meal combo for five bucks. If they turn you down, then tell them to screw off.

Comment

Speaking of beggars and booze, some 40 years ago a street bum approached and asked if I could spare 10 cents for a bureau. That puzzled me until I realized he was saying beer-o. He didn't get the dime.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Would serve him right if he tried begging from a British tourist, and the Brit handed him a cheap ballpoint pen. For those on this side of the pond, "Biro" (pronounced "beer-o") is a brand name of ballpoint pens common in Britain.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Would serve him right if he tried begging from a British tourist, and the Brit handed him a cheap ballpoint pen. For those on this side of the pond, "Biro" (pronounced "beer-o") is a brand name of ballpoint pens common in Britain.
                  I say Buy-ro

Comment

I actually don't mind if people who want drugs, cigs or beer TELL you that. In fact, I might just give them a single if they make me smile. There's one guy whose regular area is the corner of X and Y street on my commute home. He has a mad-magazine fold-in style sign that says "we need" and when he folds it, it says "weed" (caveat: MJ is legal in my state for both medical and recreational use). Honesty and creativity wins points with me.

Other good examples I've seen (online, not in person) are the person dressed as Darth Vadar whose sign says "disabled clone war veteran, need money to build death star," standard-dress guy whose sign says "bet you can't hit me with a quarter," and another one that said "stranded time traveler, help me go back and stop Justin Beiber." And an honorable mention for "wife kidnapped by ninjas, need $ for karate lessons."
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      My thoughts exactly. If these people really want the money to get food or clothing, then they'd gladly accept it if you bought it for them. If they insist on cash, you know it's going to be spent on booze, cigarettes or drugs.
                      Some of them are professional beggars. It's how they pay for their house and car. There is a guy that works the corner out in front of my work that has a nicer car than I do. What gets me is that they are making more per hour than I do, but they always treat me like crap because I tell them that I give to the homeless shelter and not to beggars.

I remember a story I saw on the news years ago. A manager of a store heard how much beggars make and decided to see how well he could do. While dressed for work, he asked anybody he passed for change between the bus stop and his store. He made more in that 15 min walk than he did for half his day at work.

Comment

The other day I was approached by a beggar who told me he slipped and fell on the snow and roughed up his face and wanted money to buy a soda. In my mind, I couldn't help but think what these even had to do with each other. Part of me is thinking he used Halloween makeup on clearance, but that's my cynicism kicking in.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Not only are there professional beggars, but they are known to get into fistfights for the prime locations for panhandling.
                          I run a gauntlet of them twice a day every weekday; needless to say, I don't give them anything--especially after I got bitched out for offering food.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Interesting fact: pushing a person in a wheelchair is the best defense against beggars. There's an outdoor mall in my city that's known for them (as well as street performers) and when I was there with Hubby, nobody asked for anything. Because Hubby keeps his hair cropped close (personal preference), half of them think he's a veteran (he isn't, and we never do anything to imply he is, but he gets some salutes once in a while).
                            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-27-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                              There are so many people here walking around with their hands out lately. I can't even go to the grocery store without someone asking me for a dollar because their car ran out of gas and they are trying to get back to New Mexico.
                              I've seen several of those people recently. They're always asking for money because they "ran out of gas" or "need to go to [somewhere in the opposite direction]" Odd then, that there's never a car anywhere near them, and the nearest bus doesn't go anywhere close to where they're headed. Yet, they always have kids and/or a dog and claim that they "desperately" need to get there

I had one twit get upset with me because I was filling up my tank, and said that I didn't have any cash on me. Very true--I work in a sketchy area, and after being followed (from the ATM, no less ) at most I have $5 on me for a sandwich. She got upset because I wasn't willing to buy her a full tank of premium (well over $4 a gallon then). Seriously? I don't put that in my own car, what the hell makes you think I'll put that in YOUR non-existent vehicle? Bugger off.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X