Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custy doesn't get what she wants so she turns her wrath on a complete stranger (me).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custy doesn't get what she wants so she turns her wrath on a complete stranger (me).

So last night I went to pick up my sweetie from her job, where she works at a large national-chain home-improvement store. As it was New Year’s Day, the store hours were 9am to 6pm – which means they were closing four hours earlier than usual.

As I waited in the parking lot, I watched as the store associates locked the doors at 6:10pm. A few minutes later, a Cadillac Escalade parked in an adjacent space, and the driver, a woman in her mid-40s by her appearance, got out and started wrestling a largish box out of the back of the vehicle into a stray shopping cart.

I rolled down the window of my own car and told her the store had closed.

What did I get for my trouble? An icy glare that probably rivaled a winter night on Neptune.

Did she heed my warning? Of course not.

Anyway, she manhandled the box into the cart and pushed it to the entry door, which inexplicably failed to open for her. Second and third attempts failed to produce the desired results.

Then I watched as the woman totally lost her shit. Adult tantrums are common, true, but such displays of vitriol as I saw rank amongst the rarest imaginable, and her vocabulary would do a deckhand of a South Pacific tramp steamer proud.

All this for naught. She ranted and carried on for probably five minutes or so, kicking at the doors, shrieking, flailing her arms, and so on before she eventually came to grips with the fact that the store was done for the night, pushed the cart back to her truck, and wrestled the box back into the vehicle.

Then she ‘caught’ me watching her and dumped a load of invective on me. Not quite as spectacular as her meltdown at the entry doors, but amusing nonetheless. Her mood was not helped by the fact that in the midst of her tirade, I actually chuckled. Not the most ‘sympathetic’ thing to do, I know but it was so absurd I couldn’t help it. It infuriated her all the more that she couldn’t provoke a reaction from me. Eventually she got back into her car and squealed off into the night.

It occurred to me, watching her completely ignore the traffic light at the parking lot entrance, that money can’t buy class. Another, less amusing thought, was ‘Damn, I hope she doesn’t have children.’

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
    It occurred to me, watching her completely ignore the traffic light at the parking lot entrance, that money can’t buy class. Another, less amusing thought, was ‘Damn, I hope she doesn’t have children.’
    Damn, where's a cop when you need one?

Seriously bitch, get a fucking grip!

Comment

I'd have laughed too. That's the sort of thing you see and then slap yourself upside the head because you didn't think to pull out your phone and video it to share with your friends.

Comment

Wish there had been a cop around. Such a display over a closed store could be reasonably argued as a sign of mental problems and I'd love to see her try to scream her way out of a 3 day psych hold.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

After being on the receiving end of that kind of a meltdown more times than I can count during my time working retail, it would almost impossible for me not to bust out laughing at her if she had done that to me. I take great pleasure in laughing at the stupid now that they can't call someone and get me in trouble.

Comment

She must be related to the woman I once saw at the local store near where I used to live, who, during the big snow*, tried to buy all the milk. The cashiers told her no, they were rationing the milk to one bottle per customer. SC then threw a tantrum, stamping her feet and screaming in a manner which reminded me of a two year old. I laughed, she glared at me then stomped out. But honestly, who wouldn't laugh?

* For the UK.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              I take great pleasure in laughing at the stupid now that they can't call someone and get me in trouble.
              I take another approach. That is...I somehow manage to stay mostly calm during those tirades. I've found that you can really send someone over the edge by not giving them the reaction that they so desperately want. I figure, if someone's going to give themselves a heart attack over something stupid...I'm almost obligated to them Plus, if management is around, they cannot claim that you've been "rude" to them. Win-win, in other words.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

In my first retail job, a co-worker gave me some very good advice as to what to do if a customer is shouting at you. "Smile, be civil, and repeat the store policy over and over til they either shut up or go away." Cuz if they demand a manager, what can they complain about? "She kept smiling and being polite!"
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

I've seen people here and elsewhere complain about workers being "too nice" or "smiling too much" ... which the managers found quite entertaining, every time. ^_^
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X