This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky on both our parts

I stopped at GameStop the other day to get a used remote for my PS3. Bought it and another item. Paid 8 bucks for the remote. Got home and went to put batteries in, corrosion on the leads. Tried it anyway, no go. Went all the way back to the store to exchange. There was a line at one register so I went to the other and told the guy I had an exchange. He told me the other clerk would handle it, he was busy. I went and found a new remote, by then the line cleared up. The clerk started processing my exchange when I noticed the new remote was more expensive. Clerk told me that someone must have checked the first one in wrong. I told her about the corrosion and said they must not have been paying much attention when checking it in. She processed the exchange but I had to pay the difference. I asked her "I had to come all the way back here and I have to pay more?" She just said sorry. I said ok, paid and got my receipt. I then asked her if the guy standing there the whole time (Mr. Too busy) was the manager. She said yes, and I said "Well I'm glad there is a survey on the receipt."
    Last edited by ReverendBSB; 02-26-2016, 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling thanks to autocorrect

I've had issues with corrosion with pre-owned items from there. I bought a Wii remote used and the batteries inside were corroded. New batteries were eaten away in the same manner, so in the end I just had to toss it and buy a brand new one online. Worked out well since I accidentally sold my Wii Motion+ attachment when I sold my Wii and another remote.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I think I'm missing something. The first remote was a formerly used remote, which was corroded/damaged. Was this ultimately replaced with a brand NEW remote, or a new USED remote? Because wouldn't the price naturally be higher if the the replacement was brand new?

It sucks you had to make a trip back to the store. BUT if you had to pay more to exchange the remote for an equal replacement (used for used), the store should have absolutely exchanged the remote with no added cost to you. And when they didn't, you should have politely and firmly demanded they do so.

I've had the scenario happen to me, which is why it irks me so much. It was when I was younger, and less vocal, so I just paid the difference. In that case, it was a required textbook for college, that was missing a section. I returned it within two days, unused, and well within the return policy. The book had increased in price since my purchase, and I was told to pay a higher cost for the replacement. I questioned it, an received a shrug in response. It was a measly two bucks, but I should have pushed for equal exchange.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If the used remote was exchanged for another used one, the store should've done an even exchange, regardless of any price difference.

If the used remote was exchanged for a new one, then the store has every right to collect the difference in price, and I hope you won't trash them on a survey for that.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Sorry for not being clear, the replacement was also used. The first one I bought had been marked as any brand instead of Sony which is why it was cheaper. Suck on their part for not doing an even exchange. Suck on my part is being snarky about giving them a bad review. Maybe they deserved it but I still think it was sucky of me to tell them like that.
          Last edited by ReverendBSB; 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling, autocorrect

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
            Suck on their part for not doing an even exchange. Suck on my part is being snarky about giving them a bad review. Maybe they deserved it but I still think it was sucky of me to tell them like that.
            Suck on their part for not checking out the remote to make sure it worked, and didn't have leaking batteries, before setting it out for sale.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

All this is why I'm grateful we found a seller on Amazon who sent us a brand new PS3 remote for less than Sony tends to charge.

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Suck on their part for not checking out the remote to make sure it worked, and didn't have leaking batteries, before setting it out for sale.
              It's been my experience that GameStop isn't always good about checking things before reselling them (possibly lazy employees on check-in duty that day?). I bought a physical copy of Sonic Generations from a GameStop because we'd just sold a bunch of older games we'd inherited from some friends, got it home, and discovered the top (label-side) of the disc was gouged, enough that I could see some shininess from the reverse of the disc. I didn't actually have the necessary console yet (was going to be buying one that summer), so I mailed it to my sister to have her test the disc. Sure enough, while the main game played, it locked up if you tried to do side missions, so you couldn't actually earn all the trophies. Luckily it was still within the exchange period, so she took it to her local GameStop, explained the problem, and they swapped discs for her no problem. But you'd think the first store would've caught that there was some serious damage to the top of the disc (I would've brought it up in-store if I'd looked at it, but the clerk put it from storage sleeve straight into the case, so I didn't think to check).
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Bad business practice on their part. By failing to inspect/test product before buying it, they're setting themselves up for SCs to scam them by selling worthless broken stuff that they'll have to refund when the purchaser returns it (can you say "implied warranty of merchantibility"?). Also, it ticks off the buyers who have to make a second trip to exchange the garbage they bought for one that works.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  I've had issues with corrosion with pre-owned items from there. I bought a Wii remote used and the batteries inside were corroded. New batteries were eaten away in the same manner, so in the end I just had to toss it and buy a brand new one online. Worked out well since I accidentally sold my Wii Motion+ attachment when I sold my Wii and another remote.
                  Since most batteries in remotes these days are alkaline batteries, I've found that using a q-tip dipped in vinegar gets rid of the corrosion gunk nicely.

If it's from an old-style carbon-zinc battery, try ammonia instead.

Either way, if you've got the "right" stuff on the q-tip, the gunk should foam a bit as you apply it.

rinse with water and let things sit for a day or so to be sure everything has dried up.

Comment

Working...
                  X