Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Whiney little so and so ( a bit long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Whiney little so and so ( a bit long)

Not really a customer, manglement, or a co-irker

We have all of our supplies delivered by <large regional distribution company> twice a week. I put away said supplies when the truck arrives. The truck driver (who gets paid piece meal meaning they get paid a set amount per individual item not by weight or number of hours they drive) pulls the stuff off the truck to inside the store where I put it in its designated spot.

This week we had a substitute driver as the regular driver was on vacation. First delivery no problems. Truck Driver arrives at the assigned time, I tell him where to park, he unloads, I put stuff away, and everyone is happy.

Second delivery different sub driver (DSD) BIG PROBLEMS. Our assigned time for delivery is around mid-night. DSD shows up at 10:15 in the morning (note 13 1/2 hours BEFORE assigned delivery time) wanting to deliver NOW. Note this is just before the store opens there is no spare person to even consider doing the unloading. GM calls me (note that I work nights meaning 4p - 2a or 3a , get to bed about 5am-ish and at 10:30am I AM SLEEPING soundly as I like my sleep). I honestly do not really remember the conversation I had with the GM. I do remember them saying something about the truck being there and the driver wanting to unload. NOPE I NEED SLEEP. The driver allegedly got real whiney and pissy but the GM hung up the phone so I did not really catch all of that conversation.

Apparently the GM convinced the driver to come back at the assigned time and I would be there to put stuff away.

Mid-night rolls around. First the driver parks in the wrong place meaning he backed the truck into our delivery driver area thus blocking all of the remaining delivery cars in AND blocking our drive-thru. When I tried to "instruct" him on an easier place to park, he started to whine about the alleged "further" distance (not really that much farther in distance if you take into account where he wanted to park AND park so that he would not bloc in the delivery drivers and drive-thru).

Now for this order the GM had increased our supplies because we have a week long somewhat major event happening near us. Next the driver started to whine about ALLLLLLLLLLLLLO that stuff (230 pieces where our normal load is around 150 - 170) and how it was going to take him SOOOOOOOOOOO long to unload it (he "claimed" it would take him 2 WHOLE hours to unload and "I ain't got time for this shit").

now there are other company's stores that get WAAAYYYY more stuff than we do and this is part of his job and I like to work quickly so I just shake my head and tell him "Just park where I tell you and we can do this in 75-90 minutes easy". He continues to whine and delay even more. I just repeat what I had said over and over until he finally gets it.

He sets up and starts rolling things in. I keep up easily and it only takes an hour and 15 minutes to fully get our stuff inside. He sort of slinks out and drives away.

I am not sure of what his problem was. You just do NOT show up WAY before a scheduled time and expect miracles to happen. When someone ALSO suggests a BETTER and easier way PLEASE listen to experience.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 05-09-2016, 05:20 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Call his shipping manager and give them an earful. And request the other sub next time.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
      Call his shipping manager and give them an earful. And request the other sub next time.
      So much this!

Comment

That sounds a lot like a truck driver we had at my old supermarket job. When I got put on day shift, I was one of the few people who were available to help unload the trucks when they came in. Most of the drivers were OK, and some of them were really nice. Then there was this guy...

The produce guy was helping me unload that particular day, and when he saw the driver, he pulled me aside and warned me that this one was an ass. He always seemed to have an attitude, and he was barely useful at all. One time, he pulled the truck up, and then vanished. He finally showed up an hour later, and when they asked him where he was, he arrogantly answered that he was at the drug store next door, like we were supposed to know that.

This time, he tried to back the truck up to the double doors, and but missed it by several feet. After the second or third time, he gave up and just parked in the lot several yards away from the door, and we had to put it on carts and bring it in ourselves, instead of putting it on the rollers and rolling it from the truck right into the store. (Strike 1)

Then, when he was handing the stuff to us, he was all pissy about it, and was practically throwing it at us. (Strike 2)

About a quarter of the way through it, we noticed some items that our location didn't carry. It turned out that he had been throwing us stuff from the wrong store. (Strike 3) When we took a closer look, we saw that everything on the truck was sectioned into different store numbers, and our stuff was behind the stuff he had been throwing us. Apparently he was supposed to go to the other store first and unload, and then come to our store. We were so pissed off at that point, we were throwing the stuff right back at him.

Thankfully, we never saw him again after that, although we saw a guy who looked a lot like him. So much that at first, the produce guy thought it was the same guy. Luckily, it wasn't. This one was a lot more pleasant, was actually able to back the truck in properly, and was actually helpful.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Ah...my delivery guys.
          We get deliveries every night except one...maybe two.
          The ones I really like I only get to see a few times a year.
          The rest, well...it depends on how well they were trained.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            About a quarter of the way through it, we noticed some items that our location didn't carry. It turned out that he had been throwing us stuff from the wrong store. (Strike 3) When we took a closer look, we saw that everything on the truck was sectioned into different store numbers, and our stuff was behind the stuff he had been throwing us. Apparently he was supposed to go to the other store first and unload, and then come to our store. We were so pissed off at that point, we were throwing the stuff right back at him.
            Situations like that aren't always the driver's fault. A few years ago I had a 4-drop load with consignees A, B, C, and D in that order (load planned for shortest distance). I get to consignee A, and their cargo is NOT at the tail of the trailer. Also, they have minimal space, so they can't unload the other stuff, get theirs, and re-load the other stuff. Turns out that from the tail, the cargo is loaded for consignees B, C, D, and finally A.

This one day of deliveries turns into 2, since there's no way I can get back to A before they close for the night. Fun fact: there is VERY little truck parking in New England.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              ... there is VERY little truck parking in New England.
              It was off-shored to India...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Someone needs to get some "feedback" on the quality of this driver.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Situations like that aren't always the driver's fault. A few years ago I had a 4-drop load with consignees A, B, C, and D in that order (load planned for shortest distance). I get to consignee A, and their cargo is NOT at the tail of the trailer. Also, they have minimal space, so they can't unload the other stuff, get theirs, and re-load the other stuff. Turns out that from the tail, the cargo is loaded for consignees B, C, D, and finally A.

This one day of deliveries turns into 2, since there's no way I can get back to A before they close for the night. Fun fact: there is VERY little truck parking in New England.
                  Or, in the case of the swamp's garden center trucks, the stores don't have anybody to unload the delivery, put the plants on display, and re-load the empty racks. Which throws off the schedule for all subsequent deliveries.

We got a garden center truck yesterday. We had eight people working it. The truck driver was just raving at this. He delivers to a lot of our stores, and apparently it is common practice for him to be unloading even larger shipments than we got with just himself and one other person.

But this isn't because the company is too cheap to hire decent employees. That's just crazy talk.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

I've seen this. This is what happens when disptach doesn't communicate with optimization and then to the drivers... At least you don't haul cars. Rolling parking lots are loaded in a specific order for a reason...
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

I did talk with our regular driver. He told me the Sub tried to delivery ALL of his deliveries waaaayyyy early (we were not the only one). I think the Sub tried to circumvent the max hours on the road rules and just wanted to get home way early
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I always kind of dread it when our weekly grocery truck comes in and I see we have a sub driver. With the way C-Store corporate tends to handle things, which is to hire random bodies to do jobs, we never know what we might get. Our subs might toss stuff down the roller, do stuff in the wrong order, etc. Hell, even the subs for some of our normal vendors (Frito Lay, Pepsi, etc) can be iffy. Usually, when the regular comes back the next week, they aren't shocked to hear their sub sucked balls, needless to say.
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          I did talk with our regular driver. He told me the Sub tried to delivery ALL of his deliveries waaaayyyy early (we were not the only one). I think the Sub tried to circumvent the max hours on the road rules and just wanted to get home way early
                          WHen you get a pissy driver, that's usually the cause, and they're now getting mad at you because their plan is going to fall through and leave them in a world of disciplinary shit.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X