This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to *GASP* do your job!

My little sister has always been rather immature. She's 19 and in college and still likes to start rumors and talk bad about people who have done absolutely nothing to her, if that's any measure of her immaturity. She recently got her first job at a fast food restaurant and while some of her complaints are valid (not getting paid on time and rude coworkers, for example), her latest rant was about:

-Having to clean the dining room when she was hired as a cashier
    -Having to close dining room when she was hired as a cashier
    -Her coworkers complaining when she's in a bad mood because she had to clean said dining room
    -Her coworkers complaining because she's not picking up cashiering very quickly (she still can't enter basic items after more than two months), which is why her manager puts her on dining room duty

And the kicker,

-She has to mop the floor at the end of the day

Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't those duties of most fast food cashiers these days?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

When I attempted to work fast food, you had to start out as a prepper. Cashiering was a promotion, but even then you had to do your share of cleanup same as anyone else!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post

-She has to mop the floor at the end of the day

Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't those duties of most fast food cashiers these days?
      When I worked in fast food <mumble mumble> years ago, yes, it was. And then some. We not only had to do regular cashiering, we also had to sweep/mop the dining room floor on occasion (depending on shift and time of day), clean tables, as well as refill ice machines, hook up the soda to a new container when one ran out, and things like that.

Edited to add:

Though to this day I still hate the phrase: "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean."
      Last edited by mjr; 07-11-2016, 01:42 PM.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Not fast food but at my former PT retail job so many new employees thought ALL we did, or had to do was help customers pick out pretty clothes, and ring them up.

NOT (especially at closing) vacuum the store, bring hangers into the back, fold every blessed item, hang said items properly, and clean out the fitting rooms, and empty the trash.

As a result, many didn't last long since it was actually WORK, and not all sunshine and roses that they assumed it would be.

Comment

I'm not a fast food worker. I do work for a very small business. I was hired as a seamstress. In the last two weeks, I've straightened out the stock down in the basement, inventoried and re-sorted merchandise, dry-mopped the floor, dusted all the shelves and cubbies in the store, and swept the sidewalk outside for cigarette butts.

My mother was shocked to see an older woman retrieving shopping carts in the parking lot of a grocery store. She asked the cashier if someone younger ought to be doing that. The cashier told her the company policy that every employee be able and willing to do the tasks of everyone beneath them on the pay scale.

Comment

No offence but your sister sounds like a real winner. She also sounds like the A typical average millennial. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on her changing anytime soon. Everything is someone else’s fault and the attitude of being set upon by people expecting results.

I would coach you that WHEN she does get fired to never make any comment that she could construe as “It wasn’t her fault” because let’s face it we have all worked with this kind of person and we all know this is coming.

Comment

Quoth Crai View Post
              No offence but your sister sounds like a real winner. She also sounds like the A typical average millennial.
              What's funny is that my other sister and I are the millenials. If I'm right, this particular sister is actually part of Generation Z (that is the next generation, right?), but she's the only one of us who ended up with the immature and entitled attitude. She recently threw a fit because our grandparents were getting rid of a bunch of board games/crafting kits and wanted us to split them amongst ourselves, but NOOO, she didn't WANT TO! It just WASN'T FAIR because she had nobody to play board games with! Why couldn't Grandma and Grandpa just wait until she was out on her own and married?!

Other sister and I just sat there and divvied them up using logic and bartering (your husband likes Clue, so I'll give you that in exchange for Battleship, etc), and we gave her the crafting kits since she could do those alone. I was actually really jealous, she got tons of beading stuff, a tie-dye kit, some perler stuff, things I would really have enjoyed more than board games my husband will never play with me.
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                My mother was shocked to see an older woman retrieving shopping carts in the parking lot of a grocery store. She asked the cashier if someone younger ought to be doing that. The cashier told her the company policy that every employee be able and willing to do the tasks of everyone beneath them on the pay scale.
                I wish my store had such a policy...of the regular baggers who have been around for years, there's pretty much just me and one other (much older) guy who actually do carriages...everyone else has either a doctor's note prohibiting them from doing so, or else are girls (and girls NEVER EVER do carriages...I am dead serious). So, whenever the older gentlemen who does the carts takes a vacation, I'm inevitably tapped to take ALL of his shifts for a week or even two, and lemme tell ya, doing carts for five or six hours in sweltering 90-degree summer heat takes it out of you, and I never get even an hour's relief. It's seriously annoying that they hire people who are physically incapable of doing anything but bagging, and that store policy apparently prohibits women from doing carts.

Comment

Jack, you need to arrange a situation that will require you to be absent when the old guy is on vacation. They'll need SOMEONE to do the carts.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    ...store policy apparently prohibits women from doing carts.
                    That's total bullshit.

When I worked at a grocery store, every bagger, male and female, had to take a turn at collecting carts. Even the 14 year olds who could only work 2-hour shifts had to collect them!

Sounds like your place is stuck in the Stone Age or something.
                    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I worked at a similar place (the one I call "Boutique Grocery") with similar policies. It was really annoying x.x

I wish more places would have the "Everyone has to do grunt work" policies, too. Back at "DaddyJim's" pizza, while this wasn't a formal policy, most of the (effective) SM's did this anyway. If our SM wasn't busy doing paperwork or counting down banks at end-of-shift, he was right there washing dishes, sweeping the floor, refilling and cleaning up the makeline, etc., along with us.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Jack, you need to arrange a situation that will require you to be absent when the old guy is on vacation. They'll need SOMEONE to do the carts.
                        I would refuse to cover the shifts I wasn't normally scheduled for. "Work Oldguy's shifts? Sorry, no, I already have plans that can't be canceled. You'll fire me if I don't come in? Then who will do carts on Oldguy's days off?"

Honestly, it sounds kinda sexist to me. "The physical work is a man's work!"

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Back at "DaddyJim's" pizza, while this wasn't a formal policy, most of the (effective) SM's did this anyway. If our SM wasn't busy doing paperwork or counting down banks at end-of-shift, he was right there washing dishes, sweeping the floor, refilling and cleaning up the makeline, etc., along with us.
                        That manager needs to be cloned!
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                          That's total bullshit.
                          I agree 100% I've even heard some of the teenage girls who bag or (wo)man the registers ask if they can do carriages (usually on days with exceptionally nice weather ), and they always get rebuffed by the management. I think the only time I have ever seen a girl regularly doing carriages is during the night shifts (a very nice woman who seems slightly mentally impaired), and since I usually leave long before she comes on, I rarely interact with her. I don't think it's an actual in-writing policy prohibiting female workers from doing carriages, but I very rarely witness it. If nothing else, they should make one of them at least spot me for an hour or two on those sweltering summer days, or when it's pouring rain for my entire shift. No one should be forced to do carts for their entire shift when the weather is exceptionally bad.

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          I would refuse to cover the shifts I wasn't normally scheduled for. "Work Oldguy's shifts? Sorry, no, I already have plans that can't be canceled. You'll fire me if I don't come in? Then who will do carts on Oldguy's days off?"
                          I'm not talking being called in on days I usually don't work or anything, or being asked to work more hours than usual. I can usually suck it up for a week if I have to do it, but I grow pissed off when I see the weather report showing 90-degree muggy weather with no cloud cover the entire time. And even if the weather is perfect for outdoors work (low seventies, no humidity, intermittent clouds), it's still physically exhausting work.

And if I hear one more "helpful" suggestion to "keep drinking lots of water!" when I come in all red-faced and dripping with sweat, I will kill someone. If I drink too much water, it'll just slosh around in my stomach with each step (yecccchhhhh), it'll give me heartburn, and I'll have to run to the bathroom to take a piss every twenty minutes for the rest of the day (and night when I'm trying to sleep ).
                          Last edited by EricKei; 07-21-2016, 11:19 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Bleh. At least when I work long days in the heat, it's because I choose to. (And as the old saying 'round these parts goes, "At least it's a dry heat!")

I assume you have other duties besides carts. If you're spending all your time outside, what happens to your "everything else"?
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                              I assume you have other duties besides carts. If you're spending all your time outside, what happens to your "everything else"?
                              If I'm lucky, I'm called in to do a clean sweep every hour or so, but I can usually do that in fifteen minutes or so, and then it's back to frying in the parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X