This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How? Why? DID YOU LOOK AT ME???

So we have all had this happen I know but I had to share this one.

So meimei just moved into her new appartment. She needed a few items for organization and a table for by her door.

This meant we where heading to hell = Ikea.

So we go there and since we don't need anything for ourselves I'm getting my mom's opinion on pieces to replace a bookshelf (which she used as a night stand) which she had to get rid of because the top shelf was separating from the frame so I was walking around pointing to things, making fun of certain things and asking opinions (at least until my mom, not realizing what i was doing, yelled at me then I just kept to myself).

Meimei as asking my opinion on a entertainment console solution she was thinking of and while I was looking at a piece she was talking about when a woman came up and asked me if she could two 2 by 4 cube shelves for less than 1 4 by 4 cube shelf. I not realizing what is going on say well the price of 2 2x4 where xxx and 1 4x4 is yyy but the sides of the shelves are thicker than shelves themselves so it if she ok with there being a thick part of the shelf she could.

Walking away cause meimei found something else she wanted an opinion on I realized she thought I worked there. I brushed it off and do back to the trek through hell.

Around cookware (when the crowds started pushing meimeis button that says 'Panic!!' and she started using a fuzzy bathrug as a defacto therapy dog because having something soft and fuzzy held to her chest was keeping her together and I slipped away because I know I can trigger her as I am silly and weird and it can put her on edge) a woman approached me and asked me if I worked there. I tell her no. She appologizes and I tell her 'Its ok the employees then to have blue polos or yellow stripped shirts that say Ikea'.

I then head back over to my mom and meimei (I was always within 15 feet just drifting in and out of view so that I wouldn't bug her) and say 'Ok thats twice. Can someone tell me what about what I'm wearing says 'I work at Ikea' cause I'm wearing pink and brown!' My mom laughes and just keeps on browsing with meimei.

So yes apparently looking at furniture, mocking it in some cases, while wearing pink = I work her.

You have the dreaded retail worker aura. I think it has something to do with how we tend to look like we are not lost when in a store. Sadly, mine still hasn't gone away and it's been 3 years since I worked retail last.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
      You have the dreaded retail worker aura. I think it has something to do with how we tend to look like we are not lost when in a store. Sadly, mine still hasn't gone away and it's been 3 years since I worked retail last.
      It never will completely go away. I haven't worked at Wally World for years and yet will still get mistaken for an employee while wearing a blue tank top, cutoffs, and flip-flops. All I can figure is they see blue and go for it.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        It never will completely go away. I haven't worked at Wally World for years and yet will still get mistaken for an employee while wearing a blue tank top, cutoffs, and flip-flops. All I can figure is they see blue and go for it.
        You probably still looked more put-together than many current Wally World employees.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

9 years out of retail, I still get it. Not as often as I used to. I'd say about 5 years ago, it went down to about twice a year, and I'm still holding steady at that. I think I've developed resting bitch face, which does make me a little less approachable.

Comment

We all give off a different vibe to the great unwashed, because we aren't completely fearful of reading the signage. It implies confidence and knowledge of the products available at the location, and by extension they assume that you must work there.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Look, just because I know my way around a Walmart doesn't mean I still work for them. Haven't in over 14 years AND I STILL GET IT. I can be wearing a black t-shirt that says, "In Memory of When I Cared," white scrub pants, and sandals and still get asked.

I think it's the aura of "No Fucks Left" that does it.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Also, for the love of Dog, please don't make the problem worse. Last week, I was shopping at Real Canadian Superstore, and couldn't find one of the flyer items I wanted (turned out it was sold out). Saw someone wearing the right shade of blue shirt head down an aisle a bit away. Headed in that direction, saw a guy wearing a blue shirt with "STAFF" on the back. Turns out the Nike store at Skydome uses the same shade of blue shirt as RCS.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  That's true, even if you're in a different store, but happen to be wearing a color similar to the employees. I avoid BullsEye when I wear red because even if I'm wearing shorts or something other than khakis, I would be mistaken for someone who works there.

Comment

Working...
                  X