This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail etiquette

I went on a hike yesterday. It was an 1800' climb with the first and third miles being notably steep, and at the top is a lovely view from atop a 300' sheer cliff.

The bad

The incident that prompted me to post here:

After the first steep leg there is a bench with a small lookout. It's the only bench on the trail, and it's a nice place to stop and rest. I had made the mistake of skipping breakfast (need to see a doc about some GI issues that makes eating food painful), so I stopped at the bench to eat a small snack.

After 5 minutes or so, I hear some other people coming up the trail.

Guy 1: "Aww, it looks like someone claimed the bench already."
    Guy 2: "Who?"
    Guy 1: "Some gal."
    Guy 2: "THAT DAMNED BITCH!"

Yeah. Apparently because I got to the bench before they did, I'm a damned bitch.

That really made me grumpy. I packed up and moved on. When we crossed paths later, they never gave so much as a "hello".

Seriously, the bench is first-come, first-serve, and everyone has a right to use it. Hell, I give an annual donation to one of the main organizations that maintains the trail and advocates for its preservation, so I probably have a bit more of a right to the bench than you. Screw you, assholes.

The good

While I was taking a break at the top (atop a 300' cliff), this couple came up. They were enjoying the view when one of them decided to climb over to a rocky outcrop on the edge of the cliff. To get there, you have to climb across a tree that grows between the main cliff and the outcrop. Her partner was less enthused. We shall call them Daredevil Girl (DG) and Acrophobic Girl (AG)

AG: "Please, don't go near the edge, you're going to fall!"
    DG: "It's not that far down. I can make it."
    AG: "No, don't!"
    DG: "Hey, take my picture when I get over there."
    AG: "I'm not taking a picture of you standing on a fucking rock!"

They bickered back and forth for a while. DG wanted to take a selfie but had left her phone behind.

DG: "Just toss it over!"
    AG: "No because I am not getting anywhere near the edge of that cliff."
    DG: "It's okay you can do it. Just toss it over"
    AG: "AAAHHHH!"

As DG coaxed AG into walking near the edge to toss the phone across, AG suddenly broke down.

AG: "You know what? I CAN SERIOUSLY DO CHEMO NOW!"
    DG: "YES!"
    AG: "Because if I don't die on this mountain, I swear, everything else has been scared of out me and all the fear is gone!" *crying*

Apparently, they were on a one last "hurrah" hiking/camping trip before AG started chemo treatments.

When DG climbed back and they came up to myself and another hiker, DG was all, "You heard her say that, right? I need witness statements!" She also said "It's a trade; I scare her by climbing trees and in exchange I help clean up her vomit later."

I guess you really had to be there, but it was this incredible moment, and the couple was so adorable, and it was pretty awesome. Good luck, AG. You can do it!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Working...
X