This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation

I'm at work after my shift because I've been shopping for a bag for my new job. I decided to have a snack at the cafe. I just witnessed an apprehension. The man is in with the A.P. team and the woman and kids are out here. She seems remarkably calm, unnaturally so. The police are here; her husband or whatever he is to her might be arrested. And she's telling her daughter "We're gonna go back to Subway" as if everything will go back to normal. It's as if she knows the drill because she's been here, done this, and gotten the T-shirt. I know as a mom you have to try to keep calm for the children, but I as an adult should be able to perceive that it's a facade. It's not. She's just..here--not really. Like I said: been here, done this...
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Poor kids.... Maybe mom's extreme calm is her only alternative to losing her shit and raging...

Comment

A couple other possibilities:
      1. Mom's the actual culprit, and the man is the fall guy, so everything is going as planned. (I think it's unlikely, but you never know.)
      2. Mom's on drugs (legal or otherwise) that are enforcing calmness.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Or Mom thinks guy is a dumbass and deserves to be busted, and is actually giggling inside about it. She's just getting the kids out of visual range of the guy getting shiny new silver bracelets.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I can't help but be reminded of a local woman whose son was arrested on a murder charge. She was shown on local news, along with a friend, at the courthouse, talking in a bland, matter-of-fact voice about what her son had been charged with. All the while she was stuffing chips into her mouth.

Some people.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

^ Good grief! Well, maybe she's a sociopath. Maybe her son is, too.

Comment

Or maybe she was overwhelmed and fell back on something normal/soothing? Like her brain froze into neutral and she needed to reboot?
              It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Very much this! Due to a lot of reasons, sometimes my reaction to Very Bad Things is completely deadpan. Not only sociopaths can have a very flat affect, where they don't seem to be reacting to something, but also victims of abuse, family members of addicts (especially children of alcoholics), and others. I also believe that some of the autism spectrum disorders can result in that sort of thing.

...Or, of course, the woman could have been an unfeeling cow...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I meant the person in MoonCat's story is a sociopath, not the woman in my story.

Comment

I thought that both Ceily and I had understood that. That is certainly what I was commenting on.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      Very much this! Due to a lot of reasons, sometimes my reaction to Very Bad Things is completely deadpan. Not only sociopaths can have a very flat affect, where they don't seem to be reacting to something, but also victims of abuse, family members of addicts (especially children of alcoholics), and others.
                      Reminds me of that scene in Gone Girl where Ben Affleck it at a press conference being held to fuel public interest in the disappearance of his wife, and while taking a photo, ends up awkwardly smiling at just the wrong moment, and gets CRUCIFIED for it by the press.

Just because someone might seem unfeeling on the surface, it doesn't mean they're not hurting inside. As someone who probably has Asperger's, I know this all too well (I couldn't smile on command for a picture if you held a gun to my head).

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        I thought that both Ceily and I had understood that. That is certainly what I was commenting on.
                        Sorry, I've been sleep deprived all week.

Comment

Working...
                        X