This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the Bank Today

I was standing in line at the bank today. The old codger in front of me threw a tantrum when the teller asked him for ID while making a moderately substantial withdrawal.

Of the entire display he put on, though, this seemed to be the crux of it: “They’ve never asked me for ID before.”

First of all, I’m calling bullshit on your claim. I can’t even get an account balance without an ID, much less make a withdrawal.

Secondly, do you REALLY think your claim somehow invalidates her request? Even assuming you haven’t ever been ID’d before, she’s asking for it NOW. There’s probably a reason, and I doubt it’s because, just out of the clear blue sky, she decided to ‘shake up the routine’ by asking you to verify, y’know, who you actually are before she hands over a large sum of money.

Money that is, incidentally YOURS. Not hers, not the bank’s, yet she’s responsible for nonetheless. You may not believe it, but identity theft really is a thing, a fairly LUCRATIVE thing, and it’s in the news several times a month. And based on your behavior right now, I’m betting you’d go positively red-alert, Bikini-atoll thermonuclear psycho if you found out you’d gotten hit. Especially if it came to light that the teller hadn’t asked the crook for ID.

Third, and most grievously you’re standing there with your wallet right there in your hand.

In your HAND.

IN. YOUR. MOTHERF**KING. HAND. It would take you literally seconds to simply open it up and produce the requested document. But instead, you’ve elected to become a giant throbbing public erection, with the flailing arms and exasperated groans and muttered threats and whatnot.

Had you been more civil, I’m sure the teller would have asked you to verify a few details of your account in lieu of ID. They’re not really supposed to do that, but sometimes they will as a courtesy. But, if you’re gonna be a jackass, don’t expect her to go out of her way to help you.

And I gotta say, you looked f**king ridiculous. I seriously wish I’d had a warning you were going to ask like this, your little tantrum would have been YouTube gold.

Oh, and in the end, you showed ID anyway. So tell me. Was it worth the complete meltdown of your dignity? Was it worth being a world-class asshole? Did it accomplish ANYTHING at all other than making you look like a complete tool?

Everyone who gets upset when asked to produce ID should be treated as if they are definitely a scammer.

When I was 25 and the old lady at the movie theater asked me for ID to see an R-Rated movie, I pulled out my license. No, I didn't look at all like a 16 year-old, but it was a 10 second interruption of the process, at most.

When I traveled out of state recently to a state where, apparently, ID-checking is more stringent, I didn't complain about it. I definitely don't look under 21 with the grey in my beard, but-again-it was a simple act when I already had my wallet out to pay.
    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
      Everyone who gets upset when asked to produce ID should be treated as if they are definitely a scammer.
      At my former job, ID was a major source of headaches. As I imagine it is for anyone who works in a store that sells alcohol or tobacco. And you are absolutely right; the more they complain about the policy, the more likely they are to be completely full of sh*t.

One fellow one day whined, "Man, every damned time..." when I refused the sale because he couldn't produce ID.

Well, genius, whose fault is it then? Mine, for doing what you KNOW I'm going to do, or YOURS, who can't seem to learn from his own experiences? But hey, feel free to keep running full-bore into that same brick wall. It amuses me to see you bounce off again and again.

Comment

Working...
      X