X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would asking for a refund be sucky?

Hi everyone

I got a ride from a taxi alternative company today. Being Halloween, we chatted about the subject clearly on children's mind right now: candy. I mentioned, in a rather lighthearted way, that sugar was my "drug of choice."

The driver proceeded to lecture me on how it really was a drug, implied it was as bad for you as alcohol, told me how the sugar companies have lied to the FDA and sugar causes heart disease, blah blah blah. I am well aware of all of this, having been a nutrition writer in a pervious life. The driver wasn't mean or particularly in-your-face in his tone, but it made me uncomfortable.

I'll admit my diet could be better, and I do want to work on it, but really don't feel it's appropriate to express a negative opinion of your customer's life choices unless you're being paid to (as a doctor, therapist or financial adviser would be). A driver taking me to work isn't my doctor and I really don't need dietary advise from a random stranger who happens to have a driver account and be working that day.

So would asking for a refund for this trip be sucky? I really don't like spending my money to be subjected to a critique of my lifestyle by a person I'm paying to take me somewhere, but I don't want to get him in major trouble for what was probably just a slip-up either.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

In your shoes, I wouldn't ask for a refund, but I would give them a "heads up" by telling them about the situation. Especially if this taxi alternative company is new to the area, a highly opinionated and outspoken driver could give them a bad reputation. It's even possible that the driver took the job not primarily as an income source, but to have an opportunity to lecture a captive audience. If that's the case, he NEEDS to get in trouble with the company. Asking for a refund would dilute your message by getting it lumped in with the SCs wanting refunds for frivolous reasons.

The "captive audience" issue has happened before. The first carrier I drove for was an all owner-operator company, but management decided they didn't have enough over-the-road trainers. The company bought a tractor and hired someone to be a trainer. When he quit a few months later, the crew cleaning out the tractor found LOADS of religious tracts. I overheard speculation that the guy had taken the job to have an opportunity to preach his brand of religion.

ETA: Please don't speculate in this thread as to what brand of religion was involved, since it could easily lead to Fratching territory. Whether it's religion, or theories about the involvement of the Aldeberan Greys in the Kennedy assasination, the issue here is someone using their job as an opportunity to lecture people who can't easily get away.
    Last edited by wolfie; 10-31-2016, 11:08 PM.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

That was highly unprofessional behavior. I would have been uncomfortable as well no matter where it happened.

Its up to you how far you want to take the issue, but I would stop at sending the company a strongly worded (yet polite) email explaining my dissatisfaction and detailing the reasons why I would avoid using their service again. If they didn't get back to me and try to resolve the issue, I would slam them to my friends every time the subject of that sort of company came up in conversation.

Management needs to know why someone offended you the customer. He was totally out of line. Its like sitting on the bus next to a born again Christian or vegan or someone who has finally figured out how to juggle. Just STFU about it, please.

Comment

I would let them know about the inappropriate behavior, but not ask for a refund. It doesn't sound like you were in danger just annoyed.

Comment

Unless said driver threw you out of the cab before you got to your destination, I don't think a refund is in order ... but a letter to the company advising them of the driver's behaviour certainly is. Lecturing a customer on ANYTHING is a very poor idea. It could've been phrased, "Yeah, I've read these stories about how sugar is blah blah blah blah ..." and so on, and that would've been just a continuation of the conversation. Doesn't sound like that's how it went. The driver either needs to learn how to conduct conversations with customers, or find another job.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Personally, I would have spoken up to the driver himself. A simple, polite 'Could we change the topic, please?' can do wonders without getting him in trouble with his bosses. If he was directing his remarks at you, personally, on the other hand, then it might be worth a word to his bosses - and definitely if he won't drop the subject as requested.

Comment

If you got where you were going, I wouldn't give you a refund. Call the company and tell them you were captive audience to the driver's lecture. I'm certain that's not what they have in mind for their customers' experience.

You showed great patience. I might have reminded him as I exited the cab, "You know what else is good for your health? Minding your own business."
              Last edited by workerbee222; 11-08-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

...would it have been too evil to give him his tip in assorted sugary sweeties?
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I got in my car one day after work to hear a very familiar voice vociferously ranting about all the garbage candy the children brought home...

...the wife won a full large paper grocery bag of candy...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                  X