Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, dang about the kids not stepping up. As bad as cats, they are!

Its the boredom that is making you want to start packing, not to mention that you seem to be a planner. Stop worrying about that. You said you don't have a lot of stuff, so you don't need to start packing for at least a month. That should give you 5 weeks of recovery. (I'd be like you, "I'm just sitting around here, and those books need to be packed...")

I hope your surgery was on your left foot, driving with a boot on your right foot will be kinda tricky. I'd suggest that you practice in your neighborhood or parking lot until you get the feel for it.

Now for the scare story to keep your butt in the chair a little longer. I knew someone who was a total overachiever. She always had to do better than anyone else. She had bunion surgery and was supposed to be on her butt for 6 weeks. She had the PTO to allow her to do this, but she was back at work 2 weeks later. Because she was so special that her foot magically healed much faster than us mortals.

Well, not so much.

I've left that job, but still keep in touch with some folks. From what I understand, the bones healed badly causing her more pain than she was in before the surgery. She had to have another surgery to correct the problems from the first one (of course the Doctor was at fault) and went back to work 2 weeks later.

Now, almost 9 years later, she is on crutches.

But, she is still the best, most dedicated employee ever. Just ask her, she would be happy to tell you so.

Comment

Slave, your story reminds me of Betty, my chronically-ill co-worker. Last winter she fell in a store parking lot and ended up with a fractured bone in her foot. She limped around with a walker for a while, and the foot actually did get better, but she was supposed to go for physical therapy and put it off for probably at least a couple of months, if not longer. She finally started PT but now the doc says her foot will never be completely right again.

And whose fault is that, hmm?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You didn't mention which foot she broke. If it was her left foot, it would never be all right.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          Well, dang about the kids not stepping up. As bad as cats, they are!

Its the boredom that is making you want to start packing, not to mention that you seem to be a planner. Stop worrying about that. You said you don't have a lot of stuff, so you don't need to start packing for at least a month. That should give you 5 weeks of recovery. (I'd be like you, "I'm just sitting around here, and those books need to be packed...")

I hope your surgery was on your left foot, driving with a boot on your right foot will be kinda tricky. I'd suggest that you practice in your neighborhood or parking lot until you get the feel for it.

You're right, I'm a planner That's why I planned this surgery for this time of year, after putting it off for 2 years, ... after the Christmas rush (remember, I'm in retail) and after my boss' wife's due date (it was a girl BTW!!!) What I did NOT plan, was being informed that my lease would not be renewed at the end of May because the landlord's sister needed a place to live :/

I'm heartbroken. I've been here 2 years. This place is the perfect size for me, within my price range, and only 2 miles from work. Sometimes things suck

And, unfortunately, the surgery was on my right foot, so there will be NO driving for the full six weeks! I might be able to drive using my left foot, but not until at least a month down the road. I did that when I had a sprained ankle on my right foot, but it wasn't fun, and I certainly don't want to take a chance to screwing things up!

And even more fun arrived today! I got the (before insurance pays) bill today ... $47,000 Thank deities I have good insurance, but I'll still be on the hook for about $5000. I called today and they told me that once the insurance pays, I can set up a payment plan and also request financial assistance - my gross last year was a mere $19,000
          Last edited by EricKei; 03-02-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            my gross last year was a mere $19,000

That's what I made or around there this year ill make a mere 22,000... I support a family of 4 on that income I do get help but I have no medical right now because its unaffordable I make about 1600 a month they want 1300 for insurance for it to be any good.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              You didn't mention which foot she broke. If it was her left foot, it would never be all right.
              You are all like totally evil and I love you and want to have your babies

Teefies2, if you haven't been getting paid time off since your surgery, please PM me. I might have suggestions as to how to get those co-pays off. This is advice I would happily give to anyone, but I think its better suited for PM than here.

DANG! about that woman being allowed to move a good renter out just so she can move it. What horrible news to get while recovering from important surgery. That really bites.

I sure do hope that you find a place that you like as much as the one you have now. Only 2 miles form work, that's going to be hard to replace

MoonCat, Is betty the most dedicated, most efficient worker ever? I wonder if we should start a spin off thread so everyone can share their story of their most dedicated co-worker who ended up crippled just to prove their dedication.

That could be a fun thread for everyone, but sadly, my cat is saying that I have to go offline. If you want to start it, I will totally play. There is one in every job, after all.

Comment

Quoth raw1989 View Post
                That's what I made or around there this year ill make a mere 22,000... I support a family of 4 on that income I do get help but I have no medical right now because its unaffordable I make about 1600 a month they want 1300 for insurance for it to be any good.
                That's rough. I'm not supporting a family of 4 on my income, unless you count the fact that I am paying the insurance premiums for my 2 grown kids and the soon-to-be-ex (as soon as I can pay to file for the divorce). Edited to add: I'm paying the insurance because he is self-employed and I don't want the kids to be without insurance (they're both under 26 and students).

My gross last year was 19,000. My insurance payments are 485/month, which covers all 4 of us. My STBE has the house (my choice) and the kids are living with him, so at least I don't have those expenses. I clear 600 every two weeks, which sounds like a lot, but my rent is 600/month, so one of those two paychecks a month goes for rent. The other paycheck pays water, electric, phone, car insurance, and renters insurance (required by my lease). Those are non-negotiable expenses. Yeah, I could do without the phone and car insurance, but really?? I need the phone for work - I'm a manager - and car insurance is really a must-have, but I do have only the minimum. Then there's gas and food.

Fortunately, I spent 23 years with the STBE being poor, as in going to food banks as often as they allowed, never going out to eat or to the movies, stretching the clothing for the kids and shopping at Goodwill, etc. His poor financial choices put us in that position. So I know how to conserve money.

Sorry ... I got off on a tangent. Didn't mean to hijack your comments, and I really didn't mean to sound like "poor me". I'm just blowing off steam, cause I'm amazed at how such a simple operation (2 hours start to finish) can cost so much! Notice: if you want to debate the costs of healthcare, take it to Fratching, I'm not interested.

Thanks for listening and being here for me guys!
                Last edited by Teefies2; 03-02-2017, 06:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                  And even more fun arrived today! I got the (before insurance pays) bill today ... $47,000 Thank deities I have good insurance, but I'll still be on the hook for about $5000. I called today and they told me that once the insurance pays, I can set up a payment plan and also request financial assistance - my gross last year was a mere $19,000
                  I've said it before and I'll say it again, after 2 wrist ops, a brain op and various ongoing health issues, thank f$%@ for the NHS. I can't imagine being in that kind of hole just because I got sick...
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Teefies2 incoming IM. ObamaCare has changed a lot of things regarding health insurance. No links to anything, just some info that you might find helpful.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      I've said it before and I'll say it again, after 2 wrist ops, a brain op and various ongoing health issues, thank f$%@ for the NHS. I can't imagine being in that kind of hole just because I got sick...
                      You're so right. I would gladly pay higher income taxes to have stuff like taken care of.

Teefies2 incoming IM. ObamaCare has changed a lot of things regarding health insurance. No links to anything, just some info that you might find helpful.
                      Got it and answered. Thanks!
                      Last edited by EricKei; 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Just dropping in to nag you again. Keep your butt in the chair! You are close to half way through your sentence. You can do this!

Honestly, you are at a very dangerous point now. Your pain level is probably very low, you are bored out of your mind and are starting to get cabin fever and just need something, ANYTHING to do to get your mind off your impending move and other worries.

Doesn't matter, keep your butt in the chair!!! Now would be a good time for you to organize the files on your comp. Sort your pictures. Clean out your contact list on your phone, while calling people you like and haven't talked to in a while. Decide that dealing with other peoples broken toilets would be better than working retail and start watching youtube plumbing videos online. Explore employment opportunities in other states or countries. Get addicted to computer arcade games. Doesn't matter, just keep your butt in your chair!

Comment

... keep your butt in your chair!
                          We have gorilla glue and we're not afraid to use it...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If you have iTunes, you can probably also get iBooks. (I have a mac, so I have both. But a better computer person can probably help you get it if you need help.)

iBooks has LOTS of free books. Some are well written and have great plots. Some are ok written with great plots and some are self indulgent twatwaffle. I am pretty fussy with my reading material and there have only been a few that I couldn't finish. I currently have 250 downloaded in my library, some are anthologies, some are stand alone. Most are complete books and a scan of the reviews will let you know if they have serious cliffhangers.

But they are great for keeping your butt in that chair.
                            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Just dropping in to nag you again. Keep your butt in the chair! You are close to half way through your sentence. You can do this!
                              Explore employment opportunities in other states or countries. Get addicted to computer arcade games. Doesn't matter, just keep your butt in your chair!

LOL I appreciate the tips. I was good this weekend, only packed one box. Did touch base with a couple of people I hadn't talked to in a while. And wonder of wonders, my daughter talked her dad into bringing her to my house on Friday - we spent a couple of hours together! And then today, Sunday, my son stopped by on his way home from work (it was 7am, but hey I'll take it)!

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              We have gorilla glue and we're not afraid to use it...

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                              If you have iTunes, you can probably also get iBooks. (I have a mac, so I have both. But a better computer person can probably help you get it if you need help.)

But they are great for keeping your butt in that chair.
                              I appreciate that. I'm old school, though, want to have an actual book in my hand. One of my coworkers took me to the library 2 weeks ago and I checked out all the books I was allowed to. I still have one left to read. I also have a coloring book that my boss gave me for Christmas (about halfway through that) and a bunch of crossword puzzle books.

I actually am doing pretty well. I keep the boot on most of the time, except when I'm sitting and reading/doing crosswords/coloring/watching TV. And, I'm playing a lot more on Pogo.com than I usually do. That's not to say I'm not stir-crazy, but I am trying to be good.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 03-10-2017, 03:32 AM. Reason: Gorilla Glued consecutive posts together

Comment

I'm old school and really love the feel and smell of books too. But I've run out of room for more books in my bedroom and can't fit more bookshelves in my apartment.

And I am a really fast reader. Having access to free books makes me happy given I am currently unemployed and broke.

Libraries near me are usually a pain in the butt if you aren't into mainstream fiction or romance. The sci-fi/fantasy sections are pretty limited. When I was a kid, I would max out the amount i was allowed to borrow too. And sometimes would max out my brothers library card.

Hopefully you can get back to the library before you run out of books too.
                                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                                X