This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Fraud Stupidity

Okay, so I come into work and get told that, once I'm clocked in, I need to read a notice up next to the schedules before I take any orders over the phone. I'm just kinda about it, so I wander back to the schedule and take a gander. What I saw was stupidity at its finest... not on the management's part, but on the part of the people who caused the note to be written.

Apparently the night before several different pizza places in the area had gotten called by some jackass pretending to be doing a credit-fraud investigation or something, investigating fraud. He got the person on the phone to give out Name, Phone #, and address of people who had payed by card in the past half hour, then was calling THEM pretending to be a crew member needing to get the card info again because of a computer glitch.

What kind of F*cking Moron gives out that kind of info over the phone to someone who calls up and asks out of the blue? Any REAL investigator will talk to CORPORATE, who will then call the stores and tell THEM what to do. The upshot is that the idiots (all at other stores, nobody at my place fell for it ) that passed out the info are getting fired, and now we have to answer the phones a different way:

Before:
    Me: Thanks for calling... ... Can I get your number?
    Customer: 123-4567
    Me: Okay, John at 890 Nowhere St.?

Now:
    Me: Thanks for calling... ... Can I get your number?
    Customer: 123-4567
    Me: Alrighty, now can I get you to confirm your address?

ARUGH! If a con-artist knows their Phone #, it's about 2 seconds to use a reverse-lookup table to get their address. It's annoying, it slows things down, and I've had to defuse 4 different customers about to go SC on me! Thankfully 'we're doing it to protect you from identity theft' seems to calm them down nicely, but it's still a pain. There's secure, and then there's paranoid.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

I thought most places like that make you confirm your address anyway? I never thought it was any different.

Comment

What about all the idiots who were taking their clothes off, performing embarrassing acts, etc. because of phone calls from perverts claiming to be cops. And they're breeding!
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
        I thought most places like that make you confirm your address anyway? I never thought it was any different.
        Yeah, but up until this happened, it was policy to ask them 'Is this <name> at <address>?' not 'Can you confirm your address?' . Not 100% secure but, as I said, if they've got someone's phone number, they can GET their name and address easily.

It just feels a whole lot more clinical the way we do it now, which doth vex me greatly for reasons I can't quite put properly into words.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Granted, I don't have a land line, and the reverse look up of my cell doesn't give me anything useful.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

My number is currently unlisted, so a reverse lookup wouldn't get you anything.

I can't believe they were so stupid as to give out personal information over the phone to some yoyo claiming to be somebody official.

Microsoft got into some hot water recently when it was proven that some of their X-Box Live reps were giving out personal information to scammers and allowing them to hijack accounts. It took recordings being made public for them to even admit that was a possibility, even though it was obvious that it was happening.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Real Stupidity

Some time ago, somebody got hold of my wife's debit card number and ran up over $1800 on her card. The bank involved replaced all of the money except the phone company, as they claimed the person had the PIN (an utter impossibility, even I don't know her PIN.) When stealing someone's credit or debit card, use it to purchase items that can be sold quickly for cash; jewelry, electronics, etc. This dimbulb used it to pay his utility bills, so it was not hard to track it to him. Wife called the phone company and talked to a representative, and explained the situation, and gave her the pertinent info. She could hear the girl typing on the computer as they talked. Finally, the girl said, here he is, and yes, his bill was paid. Wife explained that he had stolen her identity and paid his bills with her debit card number. She could hear the girl typing, and then the girl said, "Look at that, his bill is no longer paid, and his service is shut off." The phone company removed the charge, thus restoring my wife's account to what it was before.

Comment

Working...
              X