Leave your pets at home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave your pets at home!

One of my biggest pet peeves lately are the ass hats that have decided to bring their pets with them no matter where they go, whether it's the grocery store, hardware store, and even out to eat. When I was a kid, the dog stayed at home out on the back porch so that we wouldn't come home and find little presents in the hallway or bedrooms.

Yesterday, I was the Pet Smart to pick up a couple of items for the cats. I must have seen at least five people in there with their dogs, and they were at least on leashes, thank goodness. One lady with this huge poodle type dog was near this glass cage where reptiles are kept, and all of a sudden, I saw the dog hike its leg and squirt a lemonade shower onto the glass. The woman just looked down, looked happy that the dog relieved itself, then continued shopping like it was nothing. After pondering what I should do, I simply didn't confront her since we're not sure what people might be toting these days, plus cameras hopefully see this type of stuff. I don't know for sure.

To these people, leave your stinking pets at home, or at least bring some materials to clean up after them. You all are probably those same people who take them out on walks, let them unload their massive log piles into other people's yards, and just leave it there.

I'll also bet some of these people do crap like this while leaving their kids at home since some people take better care of their pets than the kids anyway.

Um... PetSmart specifically invites people to bring their pets in with them....

In general, I share your opinion, but there are times and places where it's entirely appropriate to have a pet with you. PetSmart is one of those. Not cleaning up after your pet, or letting someone know that a mess needed cleaning is a whole other matter, however. I despise people who don't clean up after their pets.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

What Kittish said. Owners need to let their pets take care of business before bringing them inside, though - no ifs, and, or buts about it. Disgusting that the cursetomer just walked away and didn't tell anyone.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In the future, let an employee know. At Petco we had stations set up around the store for the humans to clean up after their critters (though maybe like half of them would). But no one is going to clean up a mess they don't know about and we did have injuries from people slipping in a puddle of pee no one knew about.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post

All businesses are now inviting customers to do this, particularly in South Florida where you have your share of entitled customers. My question is if you are only buying a bag of dog food, why does your dog have to accompany you? Better yet, why do they need to be brought along to non-pet stores like Home Depot or Publix?

Comment

For the pet stores, it's good socialization training for the dogs. They're around noise, other animals, strange people etc. You don't just train a dog once and hope it sticks. Constant reiterations are important. (It's also a good mood booster for the employees if it's a good dog and they have five seconds to notice it!)

Grocery stores though I would think would have to be limited to service dogs only, but I don't know Florida's laws there.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              My wife and I volunteer with cats, and that particular organization is in a PetsMart, and we've seen quite a few pets come in with their owners. Mostly dogs, but we did see a cat riding around in a shopping cart. No idea how they got it to stay put. And we even saw a couple with a pet duck. They had it on a leash and wearing a diaper.

Like most people, as long as the dogs aren't making a mess or causing trouble, I really couldn't care less. My biggest peeve -- and the manager of the rescue organization is the same way -- is these idiots who bring their dogs right up to where the cats are. Some cats are OK with dogs, but not all of them. One time, the manager politely asked the guy not to bring his dog near the cats, and he said, "Oh, my dog won't hurt the cats!" Her response was, "Yeah, but the cats don't know that!"
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Ya know, bringing a dog in to buy his (dry) pet food is almost kinda sorta logical-sounding to me...to a point o_O Let him smell the bags before buying to see what he likes. Thing is, for most dogs, that'll be everything. I can more or less guarantee that they'll be able to smell pretty much everything all at once due to the sensitivity of their noses, so they'll probably just go nuts. Soooo, maybe not so logical.

If it ain't a service dog and it ain't a pet store, leave them at home or with someone who can monitor them in/near the car, folks.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I'd have to agree. Dogs aren't exactly smart shoppers, nor are stores meant for them. Pets need to stay at home.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I know that Home Depot & Lowes (in this area: Utah) welcome dogs and have treats at the checkout.
                    Food stores?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Rayndel View Post
                      Grocery stores though I would think would have to be limited to service dogs only, but I don't know Florida's laws there.
                      EVERY dog is a service dog, at least to the dog owners so that they can be permitted into the stores.

Comment

I wouldn't take our dog into PetSmart just to get dry dog food. If I was shopping for treats or toys, though, I don't see any reason not to let him pick out his own. Then again, we've got an exceptionally well-behaved miniature horse dog.

I absolutely would NOT take our dog into a grocery store or some place like Walmart. If I absolutely had to have him with me (say on the way to or from a vet visit) when I absolutely had to stop at Walmart (though I can't imagine what wouldn't wait until we dropped LowKey at home), I'd leave him in the car with it running and the doors locked. Probably there would be a human in the car with him still; there's usually two of us when we're out and have LowKey with us doing anything other than morning walks.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

A few decades ago I was in the UK with some friends. We were in England and were sitting in a small family-owned restaurant when... out from nowhere comes what had to be the owner's dog. Doggie strolled through the restaurant, glancing neither left nor right, and out the front door, where he/she sat watching the world go by and contemplating life. Eventually the dog walked back through the restaurant and disappeared somewhere (living quarters in the rear, perhaps?) and all I could think of was that in North America people would be screaming blue murder.

If the dog had been harassing people or (worse, MUCH worse) trying to grab food off their plates, it would have been a whole different matter. But this dog barely acknowledged the customers, much less their food.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Pix - That's one good dog, and a well-trained one, at that! ^__^

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                              or at least bring some materials to clean up after them. You all are probably those same people who take them out on walks, let them unload their massive log piles into other people's yards, and just leave it there.
                              Quoting myself here...I just want to thank the asshole neighbor who walked their dog yesterday and had it unload a pile of shit onto my driveway without bothering to clean it up. If I happen to catch you, I will make sure to return it to you next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X