This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid blood donation lady.

I was getting my hair cut with my mom yesterday. The salon I was at is in the mall, is just 2 stores down from a blood donation center. While my stylist is doing my hair, this lady walks in to return some hair junk she'd bought. She'd also just donated blood. Like an idiot, she'd ignored the "after care" instructions for donating blood and was carrying a giant hobo bag type purse on the arm that had been used. The end result? As she steps into the salon, the heavy bag on her arm causes the wound to open up and blood literally spurts onto the floor.

I mean, holy crap, they tell you not to use that arm for a reason. The lady got a towel wrapped around her arm and ran back to the blood donation center. She came back about 5 minutes later to finish the return, and also to apologize for bleeding on their floor
    --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

*SHUDDER* Okay..... now I should have known reading the title.... but I'm still feeling a bit icked out now. (I hate blood!!!! HATE it! and I have a very vivid imagination. Yuck)
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Stupid woman.

What the HELL was she thinking??? Oh, wait, she wasn't...

Makes for a good post, though.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When I was in school I used to be one of those people who tried to get you to give blood. I basicly tried to strongarm people into giving up a pint. I know it's terrible to do that to any customers but blood donation is one of the few things I wouldn't feel guilty doing that.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I was expecting someone passed out on the floor lol

That would be me. I have never given blood because I don't think I could handle it. My blood pressure tends toward the low end of normal, and I have been known to pass out for no apparent reason. I have also gotten dizzy having a few vials drawn for blood tests. So I don't know if I could handle a whole pint. I definitely wouldn't go by myself without someone to drive me home afterwards.

I've thought about it because I'm type O (well, both my parents are so I have to be*; I don't know about the positive or negative part) and I know that's the universal donor type so they probably have more demand for it...

*if I'm not, then someone has some 'splainin' to do!
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Having blood taken sucked at first, but now after donating a couple times, donating blood is easy. Last time I did it, the nurse forgot to take the strap off my arm and my arm started to go numb. I took it off and was like, "Yea, I kinda need my arm later, here's your tourniquet back." She freaked out and wouldn't stop apologizing. I thought it was funny.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I would never give blood because my blood sugar can become dangerously low (as in ive had it recorded as low as 52) and i would most likely pass out.
              But know i my blood type is either B+ or A+? Why?
              My dad is B+ and my mom is A- and my brother is AB+ and me and my sister are A+ or B+, but not the same. My mom forgot our types though becuase when we where little we weren't the ones in and out of the hospital alot (my brother was accident prone) but she is pretty sure i'm the A+ one.

Oh and back on topic....
              Im surprised her return was denied for ruining the products... with her blood...
              but hey at least shes a generous asshat.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                That would be me. I have never given blood because I don't think I could handle it. My blood pressure tends toward the low end of normal, and I have been known to pass out for no apparent reason. I have also gotten dizzy having a few vials drawn for blood tests.
                I have no problem with taking a pint after you faint , unfortunatly the nurses follow the policy and take the needle out.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  I have no problem with taking a pint after you faint , unfortunatly the nurses follow the policy and take the needle out.
                  Good to know...

I also have deceptive veins...every time I have blood drawn it takes them at least 2 tries...my skin is really light and my veins are really visible and they always think it's gonna be easy, but they are always wrong! One time they tried twice in one arm, then once in the other arm, then finally tried the little butterfly needle they use on kids before they got it. I was about 27 years old! The one time I remember them getting it on the first try was the guy with the eyebrow rings and several piercings in each ear...why am I not surprised he was good with needles?

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    Good to know...

I also have deceptive veins...every time I have blood drawn it takes them at least 2 tries...my skin is really light and my veins are really visible and they always think it's gonna be easy, but they are always wrong! One time they tried twice in one arm, then once in the other arm, then finally tried the little butterfly needle they use on kids before they got it. I was about 27 years old! The one time I remember them getting it on the first try was the guy with the eyebrow rings and several piercings in each ear...why am I not surprised he was good with needles?
                    My veins hate needles more than I do! It's true. Tried telling a nurse that while in the ER...

Me: "Please don't try to get an IV in my right arm... It won't work. Just try my left, please. It'll be easier for you..."

Sucky Nurse: "I know what I'm doing. The vein here is perfect. Just be quiet and don't move while I get this in."

She collapsed my vein... TWICE... in 10 minutes... and couldn't even get a single vial of blood.

SuckyNurse: "I give up! You kept moving." *storms out with a bad attitude*

Me: *thinking*(What the heck, lady? I sat perfectly still while you jabbed me no less than 4 times and colapsed the vein twice! I wasn't moving.. the vein was. And I did try to tell you about that.)

About an hour later a different nurse comes in.

NotSuckyNurse: "The ER Doc really wants to get that blood from you and start an IV..."

Me: *showing the massive bruise already forming from where SN stuck me and failed* "She... well... didn't listen to me. Tried to tell her..." *shrugs* "Try my left arm. It's easier."

NSN: *blinks a few times and then nods, setting up to poke my left arm... and gets the IV in easily* "Well! That was easy. Why didn't she use this one?"

Me: *shrugs again* "Because she thought she knew my veins better than I did, I guess."

We had a little chuckle about that... Sucky Nurse was a bit rough with me after that. I just kind of ignored her 'till I was able to leave.
                    hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
                    1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
                    2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
                    3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

I'd be asking for a different nurse...I would not want to be cared for by someone who refuses to listen to me...and for no reason other than she just had to be right!

Whenever my grandmother was in the hospital they put up a sign behind her bed that said "No BP in right arm"...I forget the reason but they couldn't take her blood pressure in that arm and rather than have to explain that every time they just posted it...hopefully they read the sign!

Comment

hmmmmmmmm i always smile nicely at the nurses and tell them for them to go for the left arm and if they dont listen to me i pull my arm away and tell them "Excuss me i am a nursing student and if tired to take blood form an arm the patient told me was problematic i would be yelled at worst. Ive had 100s of blood tests taken in my life, if you us anything but my wrist in my write arm dont you think i would let you use it?" I've only had to say that one.... and the woman blink and appologized....

But ive also learned that no matter what i need to drink at least a litter of water before i go do anything medical, even if im not planing a blood test. My gyno snuck one on my once......

Ive been stuck everywhere but my feet and legs in the search for veins....

Comment

I have no idea what my blood type is . . . if it were something really rare that'd be cool, but I'd be in a bit of a bind come transfusion time.
                          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                            I have no idea what my blood type is . . . if it were something really rare that'd be cool, but I'd be in a bit of a bind come transfusion time.
                            Well, if I know what your parents are, I can tell you the possibilities.
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                              But know i my blood type is either B+ or A+? Why?
                              My dad is B+ and my mom is A- and my brother is AB+ and me and my sister are A+ or B+, but not the same.
                              With those blood types for your parents, you could have ANY blood type. Here's how:

Type "O" is the absence of both the "A" and "B" factors, just like "-" is the absense of the "+" factor. If your father got his "B" from one parent but an "O" from the other, he'd test out as "B". Similarly, he could be a haploid (only got it from one parent) "+", and your mother could be a haploid "A".

Based on this, you could get (mother's factor first) "AB", "AO", "OB", or "OO", which would type out as "AB", "A", "B", and "O" respectively, and for the RH factor you would get a "-" from your mother, so whichever version you got from your father ("-" or "+") would show through.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X