Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will fix computers for free before I tell anyone to go here (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will fix computers for free before I tell anyone to go here (long)

So I'm upgrading a computer for a friend who's moving, and it needs to be done ASAP. I didn't take a look at his old computer, figuring they had motherboard (aka mobo) size A, so I ordered all the parts, then went to install them all in his old case. Turns out, his case held a mobo size B. So crap, mobo A won't fit into mobo B space, so we need a new case since there is no time to get a new mobo. I call around to local computer places, and I get ahold of this place:

Me ()
    SOG (SOB jerkface sexist Sucky Old Guy accompanied by dogs barking in the background)

Me: Yes, do you have any desktop cases?
    SOG: Do you mean desktop or tower?
    Me: Tower.
    SOG: Oh, because desktops are the ones that lay flat on the desk.
    Me: *thinking wow, I haven't heard that term used ever since they don't make many of them anymore, this guy must have been in the business for a few decades* Ok, do you have the standard size mobo A cases?
    SOG: Yeah, I have those.
    Me: Ok, how late are you open, and where are you?
    SOG: (Answers my questions.)

Ok, we have like 20 minutes to make it there. Friend and I hop in the car and take off. We get there a few minutes before he closes. We pull up, and he has dogs painted on the windows of his computer repair shop. Whatever. We go inside, and *5* spaniels (Brittany? Field? They were a little bigger than I think they were supposed to be...) come running to meet us, barking. Ok, whatever, a little creepy if you are afraid of dogs (luckily, neither of us were). I'm looking around for the cases, somehow missing this *huge* stack of about 6 cases right in front of me... that say mobo B size case on them. SOG comes out after a minute and points to them, and I think to myself... I don't think that's the right size, but maybe I'm wrong. Plus these cases look like they are leftover cases from an old computer company that made cheap crap and promptly went out of business.

Me: Great, can you just open one up so I can take a look at it?
    SOG: Sure, let's just pull this up here. *opens box, takes case out.*
    Me: *taking one look at it* Yeah, the mobo isn't going to fit.
    SOG: *pretending he didn't hear me, goes to answer the phone.*
    Me to friend: This is the same size as your case. This isn't the right size we need.
    SOG: *comes back over*
    Me: So this isn't going to fit. My mobo is longer than this case.
    SOG: Oh it will fit fine. It's a standard size case.
    Me: I know this is a standard size, but my mobo isn't going to fit lengthwise.
    SOG: Oh, it doesn't matter how wide it is.
    Me: No, it's the length that isn't going to fit. This case is for a *square* mobo. I have a *rectangular* mobo.
    SOG: It will fit. Let me open it up for you.
    Me: NO, it's not going to fit. I'm telling you, it won't fit *lengthwise*.
    SOG: *opens side panel* I guarantee you, if you bring it home, it will fit.
    Me: I guarantee you it won't.
    SOG: It's a standard size. Are you sure you don't have mobo C size?
    Me: I might. *thinking that would be a surprise to me if it is because I ordered mobo A size, but maybe it will get this guy to shut up.*
    SOG: Well, your mobo will fit in here.
    Me: No it won't. I appreciate you opening the box, but it's not going to work.
    SOG: Well, maybe you should have brought the mobo with you, little girl.
    Me: (so nearly losing it after that) No. It's not going to fit lengthwise. (calming down a bit) I appreciate you opening the box, but it's not the right size. Thank you. *we leave*

Later, my friend says to me, "So how does it feel to be told you're wrong because you're a girl?" I say, "Uggh, I get it all the time." We end up going to a major chain store, getting the correct size case because they actually have them there, and my friend wants to open the case before we go home to make sure it actually will fit, and yup, it will.

Quick note: Yes, mobos are made in different, standard sizes. This guy had a standard size, true, but not what is called *standard ATX* size. He had the micro ATX size. They make everything in standard sizes so it is easier to get replacements, swap brands and whatnot. But they all have different names. I should go back to that guy and chew him out since he doesn't seem to know the difference between the sizes. And because he called me a little girl, wouldn't listen to what I was saying, and was completely condescending to me. Just as an FYI, I'm 22. Not really a little girl in age, just stature. But this guy wasn't exactly tall as a basketball player either.

/Rant
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Quoth Shabo View Post
    This guy had a standard size, true, but not what is called *standard ATX* size. He had the micro ATX size.
    That's what I was wondering the whole time, actually. How the can a guy that's been in business long enough to still consider the 'lays flat' desktop cases an option not know the difference in sizes? As a dyed-in-the-wool techie, that's nearly as bad as thinking someone doesn't know what they're talking about because they don't piss standing up!

Oh, and he was wrong about that other part, too. They do still make desktop-style cases. They're just rare.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
      Me: *thinking wow, I haven't heard that term used ever since they don't make many of them anymore, this guy must have been in the business for a few decades*
      Erm, what?
      True desktop cases suck, but many are still manufactured and used, at least here. If you asked me for a "desktop case" I would assume you meant desktop as in flat :P

btw, I don't know size A/B/C ect, I just go by Full/Standard/Mini-ATX, Mini-ITX, ect
      Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
      Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth solemnwarning View Post
        Erm, what?
        True desktop cases suck, but many are still manufactured and used, at least here. If you asked me for a "desktop case" I would assume you meant desktop as in flat :P

btw, I don't know size A/B/C ect, I just go by Full/Standard/Mini-ATX, Mini-ITX, ect
        Oh, I know they are still manufactured and used. But when was the last time you heard someone say they were going to use one in a build? They are pretty rare. If someone called me looking for a desktop case, I would assume they meant a tower. I can't even imagine trying to install all the components into a desktop (flat) case. Yech.

The A/B/C size thing was just for people who aren't techie, so they wouldn't get confused by the letters.
        The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
          Oh, I know they are still manufactured and used. But when was the last time you heard someone say they were going to use one in a build? They are pretty rare. If someone called me looking for a desktop case, I would assume they meant a tower. I can't even imagine trying to install all the components into a desktop (flat) case. Yech.

The A/B/C size thing was just for people who aren't techie, so they wouldn't get confused by the letters.
          I still don't get why desktop would mean tower, "case" I can understand but not "desktop case".

btw, they are handy when you don't have room, I have a machine in a desktop under my printer as a distcc server

Comment

Quoth solemnwarning View Post
            I still don't get why desktop would mean tower, "case" I can understand but not "desktop case".
            Most people I know, who are almost entirely CS people, use "desktop" and "tower" interchangeably. We generally refer to any computer that is not a laptop or a server as a "desktop". Since most computers we build are standard ATX cases, when we say "desktop" we know what each other is talking about.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
              Most people I know, who are almost entirely CS people, use "desktop" and "tower" interchangeably. We generally refer to any computer that is not a laptop or a server as a "desktop". Since most computers we build are standard ATX cases, when we say "desktop" we know what each other is talking about.
              Same here. Hence why I thought it odd that the SOG felt the need to point out the difference.
              The Office

Comment

We have the flat desktops at work, for which they then purchased the stands so that the cases are on their sides. I have no idea who made that decision.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

We had a few of the desktop cases at work...and I *hated* working on those damn things. It was annoying to remove the drives and other bits just to get *at* the motherboard. Needless to say, I was sooooo happy when we got rid of them
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                    Plus these cases look like they are leftover cases from an old computer company that made cheap crap and promptly went out of business.
                    Packard Bell?
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                      these cases look like they are leftover cases from an old computer company that made cheap crap and promptly went out of business.
                      As oppose to overpriced crap like dell?

Comment

No, they weren't either brand. Although, my first computer was a packard bell, and sad to say, the computers referenced earlier were even worse than the PB. *shudders* They didn't really have a brand name on them, from what I can remember, but I've never seen any computers from them before or since.
                        The Office

Comment

Working...
                        X