Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All she could think about was her break and when she was going home!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All she could think about was her break and when she was going home!

Yesterday, I went to Wal-Mart for some line for my weedeater. From the moment I entered the garden department, all I could hear was the cashier griping about how she was supposed to have her break by now, and nobody came to relieve her. The weedeater line is probably about fifty feet from where she was standing, and this was all I could hear. After I found my line, I went to pay for it, while this lady was continuing her rant about how she was supposed to go on her break by now. This went on from the moment I had my weedeater line scanned, from when my total rang up, to when she took my money, and finally when she gave me my change. Not once did she say "How are you today sir?" or "Did you find everything you needed?"

In all, what I did like was after your items are rung up, there is a question on the ATM card reader that asks "Was your cashier friendly today?" but I saw this too late. I saw that message right as I swiped my ATM card, but had I seen it first, I definitely would have pressed "NO".

I'd say, yell at her manager, before her. I'd be upset, too. Granted, I wouldn't gripe about it in front of a customer, but what if her blood sugar was getting low? I know I get sick if I take my breaks too late.

Comment

I've griped about ym break being late. My breask been up to half an hour late, and I often haven't eatedn for several hours at that point, so I can be known to get a little grumpy.
      She was unprofessional though.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

People can't expect a cashier to be ALWAYS friendly the entire time that they're working in the store during a typical day. Cashiers are human too.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          People can't expect a cashier to be ALWAYS friendly
          Actually, Bright Star, unless you are abusing the cashier, you have every right to expect the cashier to be friendly. It's what they're being paid for, IMO. I work on the phones, and even if I just got off a terrible call, haven't eaten all day and have to pee, none of that is the fault of the caller, and I won't take it out on them.

It's unprofessional to complain loudly in front of customers and to completely skip at least a "hello" and "how are you today?"

Again, my opinion. No offense meant.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            People can't expect a cashier to be ALWAYS friendly the entire time that they're working in the store during a typical day. Cashiers are human too.
            Yes they can. How is it the customer's fault the employee hasn't been given a break?

Yes cashiers are human but there is such a thing as suffering in silence. Which is what I do if my break has to be postponed because of co-workers taking their breaks, or tasks that have to be done before I can go. No reason for the customers to have to hear me bitching about it.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If I was late for a break I wouldn't be complaining to the customer, unless we started chitchatting and maybe I might mention it was break time or something like that, but if I'm really late I'm not going to complain except to the person who is responsible for my being late (if there even is one). And again, not in front of the customer!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Cygnata View Post
                I'd say, yell at her manager, before her.
                All yelling at the manager would do is make you look like an SC. Maybe mention it to the manager.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I apologize, my wording was a bit strong. ^^;;

Comment

Her behavior was unprofessional.

Having said that:

So what if she didn't pretend to care about how you were by asking "how are you?"

Really, so what?

You brought your stuff up, got rung up correctly, and left with your goods. That's why you went to the store, to get your goods, pay, and leave. Not to have a make believe social interation with the clerk.

I'm a friendly person. I am all too happy to make pleasant chit chat with a clerk and to connect with her on a human level. After all, we're all just trying to get through the day together. On the other hand, if she's having a crappy day, or maybe even if she's just a crabby person, I don't care. Bottom line is, I just want to get my stuff rung up. She can smile at me or not, I really couldn't care less. Long as she rings me up, takes my money, and makes sure all my stuff ends up in the bag, I'm happy.

Should she be friendly? Of course she should be. Am I going to complain if she's not? Please. I know what a real problem is. Trust me, that's not a real problem. I'm just not that full of myself.

You all know what you'd be saying if some customer reported you to the manager because you failed to exhibit the appropriate level of fake cheerfulness.

Furthermore, as a customer, the only way I'd push a "rate your cashier" button with my finger at a checkout stand would be if Leatherface had chopped off my finger and was using it as a pin-pad stylus. Those attempts to get customers to collude with shitty, oppressive managment sicken me.
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 07-10-2007, 03:04 PM. Reason: And ANOTHER thing....

Comment

I don't know if the OP was necessarily upset about the lack of pleasantries at the cash register....I think it was more the whole atmosphere being created by the cashier's griping. And that atmosphere is one of hostility. As a customer, I would feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome in that kind of situation. As someone who works in retail myself, I'd hate to be made to feel like I'm being a nuisance just for shopping there.

I've been caught (several times) bitching about my job on the phone to a friend when a customer walks in. I immediately hang up and give a friendly and inviting hello, so that particular customer doesn't feel like they're the cause of my misery. Its not their fault I missed lunch that day.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Cygnata View Post
                        I apologize, my wording was a bit strong.
                        It's all good. I was a bit cranky last night. It's my turn to apologize.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The cashier didn't smile and greet you at your local Wally World?

Want to know the last time I was greeted at my local Wally Mart?

Howsabout never? Yes, that's right. If I am super duper lucky and get one that isn't already pissed off at the job (and all the SCs they have to deal with), then I might get a "Hi" and a half-hearted smile. But seriously. When was the last time anyone got a greeting from a cashier? They are pissed off, overworked, underpaid, on their feet for hours, probably don't get breaks unless they complain, etc. I'd be pretty pissy if I had to work the register too.

That being said... I wouldn't be complaining in front of customers. That's incredibly rude and unprofessional, and is bound to bring a few nonSC's down to SC level. Which does NOT help matters any.
                          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                          The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post

That being said... I wouldn't be complaining in front of customers. That's incredibly rude and unprofessional, and is bound to bring a few nonSC's down to SC level. Which does NOT help matters any.

But, you want to know something? This is the way of customer service in any store I go into anymore, and any fast food restaurant for that matter. At Publix, hardly any cashier that I visit is in a good mood, let alone feels like chatting and being chummy with their customers. Most are more into chatting amongst their co-workers, discussing their personal lives and pretending like their customers don't exist.

In the local McDonald's and Taco Hells, I have dealt with employees that will the entire time speak in Spanish amongst each other while trying to get my food to go. Much of the time, it's wrong, and had they paid attention to me instead of what they were doing after work that evening, I would not have had to make a stink about it.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                              Most are more into chatting amongst their co-workers, discussing their personal lives and pretending like their customers don't exist.
                              I have noticed this behavior too. It's just as rude as a customer being on the phone when they go up to the register.
                              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                              The Office

Comment

Working...
                              X